Why ffxiv is getting attention

There are a number of good alternatives to WoW today, and Wow, thru its own carelessness and lack of response to its community is giving people reasons to try them.

I have played SWTOR, GWs, Elder Scrolls… FF is the one i never did due to its lack of viable PvP options.

My personal favorite alternative these days is ESO. It has it all in one game. Massive character customization, housing, variety of PvP formats including larger scale alliance battle with siege and extreme flexibility in how you spend your time playing the game.

At this point, pending how 9.1 is, WoW is in danger of become the alternate.

2 Likes

People don’t like to notice when something they’ve wasted time in is bad, there are still people to this day that think Mass Effect Andromeda is a good game. A healthy gamer can look at a game and understand it’s pros and cons…and still play it, a non healthy one will sit there and think everything is fine when it’s blatantly obvious it isn’t.

WoW is literally an abusive relationship. and apparently a lot of people enjoy being in one…but a lot more of us don’t. This is why a lot of us are swapping games, and sure some will come back but not all. You’re all starting to see what the downfall of mismanagement and arrogance looks like. #FireIon

4 Likes

I just tried ff14 yesterday (see my post history, not a troll). And honestly, I loved it right away. The starting zone is beautiful and exotic with its unique creatures, which reminded me of how I felt when I first played WoW.

It also felt like a real RPG. It was a breath of fresh air from Shadowlands treating you like a “champion.” In ff14, NPCs make it clear right away that you’re nothing more than an untrustworthy adventurer who must prove themselves first. I like that.

If the FF14 community really is better than WoW and more casual friendly then I will definitely make it my main game.

WoW will only be for collecting cosmetics/professions/pvp. And of course, I will be buying carries to do PVP since Blizz is intent on forcing players to raid to be BIS in pvp (I don’t even think gear should matter in pvp but that’s besides the point). I got millions of gold in this game and don’t spend real money for anything anyway so why not.

So I will likely still play WoW, just not as much. And I definitely won’t be taking any part in the WoW “community.”

More of my /played will be going to ff14 in the near future, likely after 9.1 dies down.

1 Like

All content in the game should be queueable except for the Mythic tier of each current raid. Each dungeon/raid/difficulty would be assigned an ilvl requirement to be able to queue. Upon entering said content with the queue feature that you are already overgeared for you would be scaled down to that ilvl + 10%(?) as to keep the content at the intended difficulty. Gear drops or badges would drop from the content to allow you to progressively gear into the next level of content.

This would allow people to play the game without the community gatekeeping and actually improve in their skill level along the journey. It works in other games and actually reduces the toxicity.

The only gatekeeping that exists in the game is a player gatekeeping themselves from finding a guild which whom they can play the game.

Nothing is preventing players from improving their skills. All you have to do is organize a group to engage with the content you wish to improve at.

The sad thing is casuals really are not difficult to please, but WoW has completely neglected them for quite some time now. No bones thrown whatsoever. Ion drew a pretty clear line in the sand when he took over, so it’s not surprising people are leaving.

You’re pretty much spot on, FF14 has become the obvious choice for anyone who isn’t a tryhard or elitist regarding dungeon and raid content. FF14 does just about everything else better

5 Likes

It’s cute that your time playing this game exists on a server where people aren’t trying to play like how Method plays the game.

Not everyone can live in that fantasy, though.

Did you know you can make your own guilds and invite your own fiends who share your own desire to work together to that guild and run dungeons and raids with those people?

2 Likes

I get it. You want to remain ignorant on the subject. That’s fine.

After all this time of me resisting the urge to try FFXIV due to beggy nature of the community (See the memes of it, not saying not everyone in the community is not like that but there is some people that does this) and also my prior knowledge of the game that I would have to endure 50 levels to get to level 50 because thats where the fun parts begin and that was the massive red flag that prevented me from trying and now here I’m tried a couple hours ago and I would give my first impressions here.

after getting off from the introductory quests and actually playing the game, the early game feels so weak compared to other mmos I have tried such as Guild wars, ESO, BDO and Blade and Soul which confirms my reasons why I dont want to start FFXIV, while yes you could argue that A Realm Reborn leveling is not good and level 50 is where the fun begins but its like me going to a new restaurant I havent been there and ordering something from there, my food arrives and my food doesnt taste good and having someone tell me that I haven’t tried all of whats on the menu yet, it will get better which is the same for early game of FFXIV, combat feels clunky and sometimes I felt bored while leveling. Having a weak start but it will get better at a certain point can sometimes be a turn off for some new people coming into your MMO or keep them engaged long enough to see that point or the endgame for that matter.

That’s really dependent on your definition of fun. Level 50 is where most jobs have full rotations with lots of skills to weave. To be honest, the gameplay doesn’t change much aside from that. The first 50 levels are deliberately designed for players who are new to MMOs, and that’s a good thing, IMO.

If you just want a game where all you do are raids and speed runs through dungeons, then stick with WoW. If you want a game with many progression paths, FFXIV is the way to go.

From what you’re saying, it sounds like you just want to start at the end of the game. WoW is already catering to you in that regard, so I think that any other game is bound to disappoint you.

This opinion is trash lol… you cant have an opinion on ffxiv’s combat til you have hit atleast level 60 because the combat is not slow…there are a bunch of OGCDS for each class to weave between gcds aswell as job gauges …the jobs are very fleshed out and unique from each other, you must be trolling…and end game raiding is fantastic as well, same with the story. I tried to play retail since quitting back in wrath and playing ffxiv since 2.0 launch. Only got to 51, wow just didn’t hook me. the combat is so basic and I looked up endgame rotations and they are like 6 buttons max for every class lol. I like complexity to my classes where you actually have to think.

1 Like

It’s pretty hard core purely because there’s not much for a casual player to do besides gather anima or do old content. if you want better gear (almost the entire point of wow) you need to do rated pvp, heroic raid or above, or mythic+. None of which is particularly ‘casual’.

How am I looking to start at the end game? I wasn’t looking at that as my goal in FFXIV, I would like the enjoy the early game and the journey to max but when you have people saying that the game will get better after level 50+ its why I have put down on trying this game because I know I would be disappointed and have to slog through that.

Some of the early games of other MMOs I have tried such as Black Desert and Guild wars had pretty good early games and I didn’t felt disappointed when playing.

That’s dumb. How do you know what you will and won’t enjoy until you try it for yourself? If you try it out and find it a slog, then by all means give it up and never touch it again. However, refusing to even give it a go because some kid with ADD can’t stand to play through the story unless they can start with 90% of their endgame rotation like they do in retail is ridiculous.

Sounds like somebody’s upset about all the attention that game is getting :frowning:

Cute hypothesis but no, unfortunately I’m mostly just annoyed by the spam and bemused by why FFXIV players seem to have the perfect game and yet just keep posting here in the forums of the inferior game.

I don’t think it’s perfect but it is overall a better game and I think many see that. I do wish Ion and his team start making games for the players again instead of their shareholders because WoW was my first big MMORPG, as it was for many here. Sadly it’s turned into Destiny-style MMO game now where the Devs are actually using words like “loadouts” to justify their terrible designs.

I look at it this way; veterans constantly keep telling you that ARR is a slog because they’d been through it when it was still the relevant content. Its story is fresh for a newcomer, though. The stuff from 1-50 may be rife with seemingly-pointless fetch-quests, but literally every MMO follows that same formula. What matters is that the story of the leveling segment of the game is setting you up as the protagonist. It’s building you up from first level. Yes, it’s a guided experience, but that’s what the game is built around.

You either love it, or you do not. There’s no point in not trying it. The trial is free, anyways, and it gets you through a signficant portion of the game.

Because you’re completely failing to understand the situation. No game is perfect. However, the fact is that WoW used to have a bunch of cool features inherently built into its gameplay, and they’ve systematically cut them out over the past 10 years. In the meantime, FFXIV has stolen those features and run with them. This has resulted in a game that is far more pleasant to play than current WoW. It’s less a matter of “This other game is perfect so everyone should play it instead,” and more a matter of, “Why is WoW letting this other game steal its playerbase? Please get good again so that I can go back to playing WoW like I used to.”