Why "Evoker"?

The name of the dragoon soldier comes from the dragoon musket, and the name of the musket comes from the word “dragon”.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dragoon

Right lol, but your original argument is that ‘evoker’ doesn’t describe what we do specifically enough.

How does changing our name to the name of a gun do that?

1 Like

Right lol, but your original argument is that ‘evoker’ doesn’t describe what we do specifically enough.

How does changing our name to a nickname for a gun do that?

The definition of evoker applies way more to the lore of the class than a gun does, full stop.

1 Like

Only if they wore 18th century clothing and were armed with muskets.

Like the Dragoon musket, you do dragon stuff. Spit fire and that sort of nonsense lol

We shoot bullets, are wielded by men on horses, and don’t function when wet?

NOW I know what the class does!

1 Like

They finally give players a Healer Hero Class that also has a Support and Caster dps spec and everyone cries about the name…

I’m about to Evoke some rage up in here!

1 Like

Look, we disagree on this. I think a word that means “dragon” fits a dragon class. You disagree. Let’s agree to disagree on this. There’s no point in this back-and-forward. You’re as likely to convince me as I am to convince you.

Dracthyr already accomplishes this though, whether we agree to disagree or not.

1 Like

Dracthyr is not the name of the class.

And I get it, it’s the only race that can be evokers. So the description stays on the race, and the class name is there just because classes need names.

But that’s shortsighted. Maybe in the future another race will be allowed to be Evokers. Never say never, because never is a long time and many things can happen if given enough time.

Maybe, but people know what Evokers are and in over a year I haven’t heard anyone struggle to understand what it does. How would changing the name now not just create confusion?

That’s not going to get MORE confusing in 2+ years if they decide to open the class up (which thematically would make zero sense, but I wouldn’t put it past them either).

Just seems like a comically arbitrary thing to struggle with/create a post about, idk. I guess we can apply that to 90% of the posts in GD, though.

It’s not a struggle, it’s a frustration.

WoW could have done better.

And if we were named after a gun some other Andy would be posting talking about how that’s not accurate and “WoW could have done better”.

They can’t win with stuff like this.

1 Like

Again, let’s agree to disagree on the “dragoon”, because the point of the thread is that just “evoker” doesn’t mean :poop:, not to argue which other name is better.

It could have been “Aspect Evoker”, “Wyrm Evoker”, “Chromatic Evoker” (because of the Chromatic Dragons that have the powers of all Dragonflights), “Draconic Evoker”, or whatever.

Just “Evoker” is a meaningless name. “Person who remembers” is not a good name for a class lol

My point is that this is a subjective opinion and people don’t generally care because it has no effect on the game whatsoever.

No matter what they named it some rando would have an issue and post about it.

Demon hunters haven’t been hunting demons for 3 expansions now, that is a sad fact, Evokers are still evoking and will still be evoking after all those years.

1 Like

Thread complete

What’s this? Are you crusading against subjective opinions now?

Of course it’s subjective. I never said it was an objective fact. People are allowed to make threads about opinions on the forums lol

IMHO Demon Hunters should have never existed, but that’s beyond the scope of this thread lol

Only if they add a type of evoker that is unrelated to Dragons. As long as Evokers are a class about “Dragon stuff”, the name will continue to be meaningless and non-descript for no reason.

1 Like

If you want to be really technical.

Dracthyrs aren’t using dragon powers, they’re using the powers of the aspects, and the “aspectral” powers are of Titanic origin, they’re using the same source of power as the dragons, but these powers are not from the dragons themselves.

So they are evoking a power source, the aspects powers’.

So a more specific name would not have draconic in the name, but aspect, or aspectral (as Blizzard loves that word).

2 Likes

Evoker is the class, not the race.

Speaking of non-descript…