Why "Evoker"?

Why is the new class named “Evoker”?

That is so non-descript!

Throughout WoW’s history, “Evoker” was just a fancy synonym for “Mage”.

The name does not “evoke” the image of a funny dragon man doing funny dragon things.

It should have been “Dragoon” or something like that lol

2 Likes

Dragoons were English mounted infantry.

6 Likes

Because dracthyrs “evoke” the powers of the 5 dragonflights to fight.

5 Likes

Makes sense to me well said sir or maam!

Yeah, and the Evokers were built to be Neltharion’s perfect soldiers.

It fits.

Fun Fact: The word “Dragoon” comes from dragon, because their muskets were thought to be like a firebreathing dragon :smiley:

1 Like

And evokers are not mounted infantry. Let go of the Dragoon thing, you’re not getting your Final Fantasy in my WoW. Evoker is a fine name. They evoke the powers of the five Dragonflights. They’re magic users. Sit down.

Sure, but a Mage evokes the powers of the titans and a Warlock evokes the powers of the Legion and a Druid evokes the power of nature, etc.

It’s not that it doesn’t make sense, it’s just non-descript. Any class with a power source is technically an evoker lol

It’s a pretty bog standard word for a magic user in a fantasy setting. Assuming they didn’t want to call them Sorcerers.

True “rogue”. “warrior”, “mage”, “warlock”…The list goes on. All SUPER descriptive!

What an important topic to discuss, thank you so much for making this thread!

1 Like

The other hero classes (which evoker is) are fairly descriptive.

Death Knight. Demon Hunter.

1 Like

Very true, hopefully no one made an evoker expecting it to be a gymnast or something.

1 Like

Those are base classes. They are meant to be broad in definition because they are umbrella terms for a wide variety of people.

Evokers are a hero class. They have a very specific backstory. You can’t be some rando that decided to “evoke”. You have to be a dracthyr soldier of Neltharion that was created to evoke and got frozen for 10000 years and now was awaken to start evoking.

Heck, if calling them “evokers” is so important, why not “Dragon Evoker”?

Evokers are the first hero class not tied to a Warcraft 3 Hero.

Also, while the class technically is just Evoker, we have to take into context that this is the unique case of a single race being said class, and that probably the tag name blizz went was “dracthyr evoker”.

Dracthyr already brings the draconic into the naming convention, Evoker as a word itself is non specific, but you really don’t have more specific spellcasting names, we have Mage and Warlock already, you could go with sorcerer, summoner, and so on and would have the same problem.

If you want to bring semantics into this (which you did, just by making this thread lol) the definition of evoke is “bring or recall to the conscious mind”.

So when you’re talking about that ‘specific backstory’ with them being awoken and with augmentation being restored to their memories, it fits just fine.

“Dracthyr Dragon Evoker”? Are we serious right now? I think everyone is surviving just fine.

1 Like

I mean…

Undead Death Knight lol

Right, I forgot that only forsaken can be Death Knights. Once Evokers can be non-dracthyr, necro this thread okay thanks.

1 Like

OP kind of has a point. Blizz could’ve come up with something new and fantastical but they took the seemingly lazy route.

RIP some new cool Dragon caster name.

1 Like

Personally I’m fine with Evoker. Works well with how people call em Devoker, Prevoker and Augvoker.

1 Like

Degoon, Pregoon and Augoon :smiley:

Dragoon has nothing to do with the class or their role lol. It doesn’t even really have anything to do with dragons.

Dragoon referred to the muskets they used.

1 Like