Why Dragon Riding has made me feel less motivated to play WoW

It is simple really. When in the dragon isles the only real mode of transportation is Dragon Riding. Dragon riding is restricted to the 4 mounts that you get through the campaign. Since those are the only mounts you can use if you really want to get around fast your other mounts in your collection sit there and collect dust. This makes it so everyone is on similar looking mounts and no one mount really stands out from the rest (but maybe the Raszageth, or the Gladiator customization). You don’t go through Valdrakken or go through out the Dragon Isles in awe of other’s accomplishments seeing them sitting on a coveted mount that you want. Most people are sitting there on their dragon riding mounts that everyone has from doing the campaign. Another annoying factor of dragon riding is the flying mounts you get from rep or drops within the dragon isles are more or less pointless because you can’t use them to fly around. That is annoying, a mount…that drops in the dragon isles…that flies…can’t be used to fly in the dragon isles, who thought was a good idea? The last thing that is really irritating is the fact that you can’t just use regular flying not even on the dragon riding mounts. I don’t always want to be pressing the dragon riding abilities to have to get around. I liked when I could just chill and fly. Sometimes I would just autorun/fly in a direction till I got where I was going, that was very relaxing. Also when you run out of your dragon riding energy you are stuck on the ground till it regenerates. It can be cumbersome and very annoying when that happens. I get there is flight paths but those are not the same as just regular flying as you are locked on that flight path till you get to your destination.
So every time I want to get around the dragon isles I get frustrated with everything I listed above, which makes me less motivated to play. I want to enjoy playing right now but it’s just hard getting over those factors.

97 Likes

4 mounts, soon to be 8 if not more, each with dozens of customization options from armor, skins, horns, scale pattern etc.

You’re in the minority, more people like dragon riding, than don’t.

I have lots of fun, and am looking forward to seeing how it evolves.

65 Likes

When did blizzard say we would be able to ride our other flying mounts in the dragon isles? I don’t believe they have.

6 Likes

I too, am not a fan of flappy bird.

Voss 4 Warchief

26 Likes

How does 8 mounts, 4 currently compare to other 200+ mounts that can fly that I can’t use to fly in the dragon isles?

30 Likes

There is no date yet. But the sky isn’t falling, and we will eventually get to fly our regular mounts. They just haven’t announced it yet.

6 Likes

This TOTALLY didn’t happen with flying mounts. Obligatory /s.

3 Likes

And yet still the same drakes. It would be like saying you can only ride the Cloud Serpents but hey, you have different colours, right?

Would like source with that cup of supposition.

I don’t like it more but I use it because, aside from using the flight points, its the only fast method of getting around in the current expansion zones. If Blizzard said “tomorrow you are getting normal flight in the Dragon Isles” its unlikely I would ever use dragon riding again. I only use the races for the quests, other than that its like this minigame that limits your choices and works poorly for anyone with any phyisical issues (such as myself).

I mean, they continue to give us flying mounts in the game that we cannot use in the current iteration of the game - logic-defying game plan.

I tell ya, I look forward to having normal flight, and it will be very interesting to see how many people continue to use the DF drakes. While their speed is beneficial in certain circumstances (like getting to that particular event or rare quickly) for general gaming its my opinion that normal flying with its hover and multiple-carry abilities, will be the preferred mode of transport.

43 Likes

Enable normal flying and we shall see.

52 Likes

It’s not as clear cut as liking it disliking. I want my freaking GMOD to dragonfly. Thing runs on Azerite it can do any maneuver a lizard can. I wanna use my cool mounts! While dragonriding !

5 Likes

Yes it does happen sometimes but at least I had hundreds of options to get around in previous expansions, but now everyone is forced to be on the same 4 mounts to get around fast.

3 Likes

Yeah been saying this since day one. Besides the mechanical flaws of dragon riding simply seeing the same four mounts everywhere becomes a real eyesore. I hate it.

26 Likes

What? When the first wave of black drakes hit the jealousy was everywhere. People started farming keys non stop to try and get theirs.

If you want to groan that there’s no “hover” button, I agree. There should be a stationary hover button so that you can afk or just not move for whatever reason.

The rest of this feels… Goofy.

4 Likes

yeah dragon gliding should be an option, not the only way to fly, it gets boring and inconvenient real quick, not a fan
it flies faster you say? then make flying 2x faster, problem solved, lol

17 Likes

Jeez you people are impatient and so full of complaints.

16 Likes

The dragonriding drakes likely have extra rigging and effects and such attached that can’t be easily exported to older mounts.

That was the case the first couple of weeks but now it’s a rainbow of colors and details when I see people on their drakes in Valdrakken.

Ion said they will allow normal flying in Dragon Isles at some point but hasn’t said when exactly yet.

2 Likes

I am not asking for dragon riding on other mounts, I just want other normal flying enabled so I can use my other mounts to fly in the dragon isles.

Again its the same 4 mounts, yes with slight differences, but the same 4 realistically.

Where is the proof he said that?

5 Likes

A quick search could answer that question:

Full-Fledged Flying Planned for a Later Patch in Dragonflight - Wowhead News

3 Likes

Thanks. We’ll continue to voice our displeasure with this horrible feature.

15 Likes

That is awesome news, I hope they do implement regular flying.

14 Likes