Why don't players like timers?

No your gold metal is your name on timed leader boards, more loot and faster key progression which no one is taking from you.

Timers promote cheese strats, meta comps and toxicity. There is a place for them but it should never be what determines a win.

6 Likes

It’s almost exclusively the low end players with little to no progress who are complaining about timers. Easier to make excuses for why, than just try harder.

2 Likes

It is a good comparison, I just didn’t add a reward system to it. You could fill that in yourself. But let’s use scholarships.

Beat 25 seconds, 10% scholarship
Beat 15 seconds, 25% scholarship
Beat 11 seconds, 75% scholarship

Don’t beat 11, you still get the 25% scholarship, but to get that 75%, you need to work at it

No offense but this is a silly question. Might as well ask me why I don’t like beets. I have reasons but it comes down to: Because I don’t like them.

Yeah, that would be better for the game technically…If you played casual game like GW2.
But not for WoW players, superiority is the reward…not actually title or achievement.

Timers are not a mechanic that measures individual player skill in a group based environment. Timers are a pressure mechanic that measure how well you memorize. Watch any speed run in any video game, if one step is missed/fumbled/out of order it completely negates the whole speed run.

Personally I view mythic+'s timers as a lazy way of implementing a failure condition outside of just leaving the whole dungeon.

4 Likes

Oh so your reason / argument is “because!”

Very convincing. lol. Makes me want to remove m+ from the game!

/sarcasm

Actually, you do.

You can not advance without beating the timer. Every time you don’t beat the timer, the key goes down, and that key can not be recovered without…beating the timer.

So, someone, somewhere has to continue to beat the timer in order to advance the key. Otherwise, you’re simply being carried and profiting off of others work.

My week started with an 8 key. I had it up to 9 last week. That key is now down to a 6 because someone DC’d on the first run, and we didn’t time it on the second. With nothing else, I may get a 7 key in the vault, but that’s an overall loss for me for the week unless I get groups to bump it up.

Ideally I can find a group that can +2 a 6 key. But my hopes of getting to a 10 this week are pretty well dashed given my schedule.

2 Likes

I don’t want to remove M+. I just don’t do it myself.

Lol. You are making up reasons to argue.

I don’t like timers because I want to be able to stop and figure out what I am suppose to be doing in the situation based on the situation (like use my brain, man) instead of having it hand fed to me beforehand.

And your question should be: ‘Why don’t you like timers?’ because each poster can only speak for why s/he doesn’t like timers.

1 Like

how often do you find yourself needing to do that in a dungeon you’re running for the 200th time?

A lot of players just have anxiety around failure and being on point for that length of time, as well as the stress it creates socially.

Those players just aren’t really suited for the content though. Something for blizzard to be concerned with, but hopefully the player in that boat realizes that this is all a natural arm of progression.

My advice is simply ignore the timer and you will see how little impact it has during successful runs.

If you just do the whole dungeon without a wipe you will upgrade most keys easily.

It should not even be looked at unless you are already failing heavily.

2 Likes

I would, but then again I spent the last few weeks soloing my way through the 8 layers of TC at my own pace. I don’t mind hard or even long, although sometimes finding the time to do it can be an issue.

I just don’t want to end up sprinting, trying to keep up with a group, and figuring out goofy skip mechanics while having go, go, go directed at me. There’s nothing about that that’s fun for me.

2 Likes

The quote, “A proficiency at billiards is a sign of a misspent youth”, often attributed to Mark Twain, also applies to WoW. In other words, being great at this game is nothing to be proud of, most people recognize this and strive for balance in their real life an gaming life.

And besides, timers have no place in an MMOPRG.

9 Likes

It’s an RPG. Unless you’re role-playing a coked-up gnome, timers have no place.

7 Likes

Mark Twain was a humorist, not a life coach. The point of that quote isn’t “it’s pointless and stupid to try to improve at things that aren’t strictly required for your survival”.

1 Like

Run a key. If you want people that don’t leave put “for completion” in title. Then, ignore timer. Easy. Run your own keys way you want, I’ll do the same. WHO CARES. If your concern is you don’t get the loot ppl get for timing all I can say is “wahhh”. Yes , your key goes down a level if you fail time. Repeat. Surely you’ll be good enough that eventually if not immediately you’ll accidentally make time and upgrade your key right? Then simply repeat. No time pressure. Simple . Glhf

1 Like

lol…telling me that they dont HAVE to behave that way just makes it worse, lmao.
You do understand human nature, no?
Put a timer out there and its just human nature to try to beat it. Its part of who most people just are. They want to ‘win’…even if the ‘win’ is meaningless.

1 Like

Where ?? are we even seeing the same thread ?

1 Like

speak for yourself, son. I dont bother trying to get high end gear as a casual. You do a lot of assuming and projecting, thats for sure.

6 Likes