Why don't people like new portal room?

I think it’s OK. It’s pretty. I still like my hearth in Dalaran though. Peaceful there and everything’s compact.

1 Like

The portals being removed is not the issue.

It’s why they were removed, and why the reasoning doesn’t work.

They want the world to feel bigger and alive. But the problem is, their world is dead and irrelevant.

There no incentive or reason to fly and go into these zones. But there COULD be. If there was, this would be a non issue. But there isn’t thus its merely a hassle.

23 Likes

Few reasons.
1)It feels like an overall downgrade. Nerfs to quality of life are stupid.
2) more afk time when im playing the game. They say its to make the world feel bigger but really… Its just me paying the flightmaster and im afk somewhere on social media vs instant portal access.
3) portal placement feels weird. MoP literally have to go to the other side of the continent for the raids weekly.

17 Likes

One step forward, two steps back for the player. For blizz pockets its working exactly as intended.

11 Likes

I get what you’re saying but I think it might depend on the server.

On Area 52 there will be times I won’t see hardly anyone in BfA but in the old world, it’s full of players.
Area 52 is one of the heaviest pop servers.

Blizzard removed portals to areas they deemed irrelevant, yet there’s a portal to ASSHRAM

8 Likes

EXACTLY.

The room is beautiful. The portals seems larger so you can better see the final location in the portal (you don’t have to mouse over it to confirm where you’re going, you can just SEE it).

But 1> You can’t bind to the actual room. Why?

2> It’s annoying that the hallway to get in to the place is SO long. It’s like recalling Dal to get to its portal hub and then having to WALK. For almost 3 years it’s been “recall Dal, mount up, at portals quick!” This is, as was said, a step backward in design.

The ENTIRE thing is just POORLY executed. And saddest of all-- this has become the new standard for Blizzard as a whole.

10 Likes

all of them except cata portals.

Cause poor kids want to whine about losing “convenience” for things that aren’t even relevant to the game anymore. They essentially waste time “collecting” things and then whine about “wasting” even more time.

The irony.

Then they take it out on the portal rooms as if it’s the artists’/designers’ fault.

1 Like

Lost portals to some spots I liked

Had two portals moved to destinations I really don’t want to go to when I’m heading to those zones.

I like legion Dalaran better than Stormwind

While it can be argued that I do pick up slightly better travel time to maybe a location or two, and the room may appear well done - I really lose more than i gain and really never wanted this type of change anyway.

I would have rather bliz focused their attention elsewhere

5 Likes

Graphics > gameplay?

The portal room is admittedly gorgeous. And it’s more convenient going to Northrend Dalaran via the new portal room for non-mage, ring-less toons running Wrath TW but remains to be seen about other locations. Jury is still out.

2 Likes

This is just Elae’s daily attention thread, folks. Nothing to see, here.

9 Likes

It looks lovely, but it has issues.

First and foremost, some of the portals are level locked. Prior to “portalgate”, I could park alts in Broken Isles Dalaran and have access to all the portals there to get around the world when leveling. Now I can leave them in Stormwind but many of the portals I would normally use are gone, and some of those that made it, can’t be used at all by lower level characters.

Second issue, missing portals. The really big losses are the Caverns of Time portal (which we’ve had since wotlk), and the Dalaran Crater portal which hits Alliance players particularly hard during Winter Veil and Love Is In The Air, since they have no flight points in the vicinity (their closest is in WPL).

Third issue, strange choices. The MoP shrines were centrally located but blizzard opted to use the MoP starting area portals instead which are far less conveniently located. They went with a portal to Azsuna instead of Broken Isles Dalaran because they already had a portal to Northrend Dalaran when they should have (in my opinion) went with the Wyrmrest portal for Northrend since chronologically, Dalaran is not in Northrend anymore.

Basically the new portal rooms offer lots of style but far less substance than we had prior to the change. That’s why people are unhappy.

18 Likes

OMG this. So. much. this.

OP is convenientely ignoring to read the multiple huge threads regarding this issue that has been up for WEEKS.

Go read those threads Elae if you need answers to your question.

6 Likes

The Crash Bandicoot portal room songs go off in my head every time I walk in them. I love them. I didn’t think I’d ever get a nostalgia overload for a different game on WoW, but it’s great.

Unfortunately, we got something visually awesome for the removal of practicality.

2 Likes

My all time favorite hub city in a game was EQ1 Plane of Knowledge.

https://eqatlas.ca/planeofknowledgemap.html

Small statues of books were located around the perimeter of the zone and allowed you to go to just about any zone in EQ1. It made going to ancient content for nostalgia raids extremely easy. The newer content (elemental planes) was further into the Planes of Power zones which kind of kept everything neat and tidy.

You bound in Plane of Knowledge and when you gated there, you had a bank, all profession and class trainers plus access to just about every region in the game. Being a neutral city, it was neat and well organized and the story behind it seemed to make sense.

3 Likes

I have to remain active on forum to keep Trust Level 3, and this issue came to mind, I wasn’t aware of too many other threads dedicated to this topic. Also not sure what the rule is on this forum but on the old one, you weren’t meant to bump old threads.

I just realized the portals in Broken Isle’s Dalaran is replaced with the new portal rooms in Stormwind and Orgrimmar

1 Like

The only thing I don’t like is that the Pandaren portal is to the wrong area… although I’m getting used to it. Distance wise, that little village isn’t really any farther to Galleon than the Vale was and it’s really close to 2/3 of the raiding with leashes raids.

1 Like

I like new horde one as well. Not sure what all the fuss is about.

1 Like