Why does Blizzard hate Beast Mastery

If you want to solo and just mindlessly grind mobs, usually no more than 3 at a time, play BM hunter. If you raid, Arena, or RBG, even fully geared your pet dies instantly, hits for no damage, can be cc’d out of play, and you’re left with… no burst, no interlope, no protection… you’re just the most failed class in the game. The exception is: if your fully geared 60, you can haunt level 20 areas to feel like you’re actually viable.

12 Likes

Survival Hunter = “here, hold my beer”.

8 Likes

The two are both really bad off and are bottom of the barrel together. Both need help.

4 Likes

The hate is real all the proposed BM legendary buffs got reduced

5 Likes

Well BM was the only viable spec in PvE for like the last 2-3 expansions and MM was hot garbage the last few expansions. If they buff BM big then its basically them pigeon holing every hunter who wants to be competitive back into the boring BM spec. As for PvP, I do agree that there should be something done as BM is unplayable in arena.

5 Likes

I’ve said it over and over again, “Ion does not like hunters. They give his rogue problems. Ever since the game was in beta, rogues despise Hunters. Hunters can stop or prevent rogues from stealthing. Because of that, and the pure fact they can place traps to slow down rogues, he dislikes them greatly.” Now Ion plays a Shaman and a Rogue. Have you noticed how Shamans are improving?

I don’t care to get banned from the forums or game. I tried to protect Ion saying, “He’s a nice guy,” but no… The guy is a prick to his staff members. He actually pushed on getting money from Blizzcon. The people above Ion said it wasn’t about the money. They’re trying to have people watch Blizzcon to help sell games. Ion kept pushing money but obviously things didn’t go his way.

This is the type of person that has been constantly pushing World of Warcraft into the grave. If a forum mod that knows Ion disagrees, give me a heads up and fill me in.

21 Likes

Considering how easy BM is to play, I’m always surprised at how people can be so bad at it. Because being bad is the only way to suck that hard.

3 Likes

BM WAS strong for two expansions. So I weren’t say hate so much as Blizz doesn’t know how to balance.

4 Likes

I feel like Blizzard has always had trouble balancing pet specs. I mean with BM, it has Great mobility and almost ALL the damage comes from pets. so how do you balance that in PvP? I don’t have the answer that’s for sure but I agree something should be done.

I also think they need to make SV hunter NOT dependant on the pet for regen of focus.

1 Like

Funny but Ion is playing a Resto Shaman and they are OP, amazing how that happens. Our only hope is Ion decides to play a Hunter and sees what we’ve been enduring and decides to make some changes to the specs.

4 Likes

Uh last I checked bm isn’t mobile in pvp. They are usually crawling everywhere with slows on them. They are mobile in pve

5 Likes

So true. In PVP you get gap closed super fast by melee. Then you are slowed or stunned. They have more stuns than we have releases. If they are smart they CC the pet. Nothing we can do to break it which leaves us toothless. They have more gap closers than we have evades and in combat it seems like they can run faster. Hunters having great superior mobility is just a huge myth that I wish people would stop repeating.

13 Likes

I just don’t like MM, makes me feel like I’m playing a mage. MM pets are nothing but solo play adds, they do better dps without them. I like being a big tauren and having my pets with me, sad to see that Blizzard seems to think that one ‘decent’ spec per class is the new norm (Hunter, Warlock, Mage…). At some point there was that big push to ‘bring’ the player not the class…and that still isn’t true (unless you are with a bunch of good friends.

10 Likes

It doesn’t have to be strong… it can still be somewhat viable… the fact is, all the pet classes suck. I’m not asking for a buff, I’m just asking for a less likelihood of being mitigated out of the game because you pet go one shot, cc’d, with a rez pet timer that isn’t two hours long. Its rediculous… pet focus builds, not hybrid.

2 Likes

You can easily solo more than 3 mobs at a time as BM. It is still an excellent soloing spec.

As for the main topic: I don’t think Blizzard hates BM although I do feel there’s a sense of indifference towards Hunters and there has been for a long time. Their work on the class since about 2016 strikes me as the actions of people who just aren’t very interested in Hunters and find it hard to get enthusiastic about them. Even the Legion reworks, as ambitious and sweeping as they were, seemed like they were more about undoing the Hunter identity and deconstructing the parts Hunters actually liked.

BM has been strong at times for the past 2 expansions but there definitely seems to be an aversion to making BM good in PvP and I think this stretches way back into the past. I don’t see it as Blizzard hating Hunters but rather Blizzard caving in to the complaints of a community that hates Hunters: that is the competitive PvP community. It seems to me that melee players especially get deeply upset whenever BM is doing well in PvP or even decently.

I’m reminded of a video I watched of a BM Hunter in Legion pillar-hugging the entire time and just sending the pet out. It was recorded from the perspective of a Warrior IIRC. The BM Hunter lost handily but he made it annoying and drawn out. You had a comment section full of people demanding huge nerfs for BM (right after we had already been nerfed to hell and back in 7.2.5). Remember; the BM Hunter lost. That didn’t matter. What mattered was that the BM Hunter made it a real fight and wasn’t just a pushover, and BM being anything more than a pushover is apparently too much to bear for the general WoW PvP community. To me this is the primary motivations behind the huge batch of nerfs in 7.2.5 and 8.0 as well as the increase to the pet res timer.

Speaking of the revive pet timer, you should have all seen the threads in the general forums about it. You had massively upvoted posts from Rogues and Warriors and such celebrating the Revive Pet cast time increase (which was 6 seconds at the time, by the way). Those are the people Blizzard listens to when tuning BM.

17 Likes

I agree that it seems to be less about the devs “hating” BM but rather it gets neglected, or sometimes changes are made to it to satisfy complaints from certain players that…really shouldn’t voice complaints about things that aren’t problems to begin with.

As for damage/output, currently, I’m mostly concerned whether we get some improvements to for example our burst potential or cleaving capabilities, along with sustained/burst AoE. Not to mention pet survivability.

I made a topic containing a partial rework for Beast Mastery, with the intent to address these issues. I don’t expect us to see anything worth noting over the course of Shadowlands, but rather hopefully something comes with the next pre-patch. Which is also why I decided to go the full mile and focus on a partial rework rather than minor improvements/adjustments.

Here’s the topic: Beast Mastery - future improvements[Partial rework]

3 Likes

I just made an account on here to tell you that you nailed it on the head with this post. Spot on. Unfortunately the community dislikes hunters and I get we are a hard class to balance, but they need to at least try. And sift who to listen to and who not to.

6 Likes

I just hate bm it makes me feel like im not even playing …

1 Like

This exact feeling is why myself and others like Ghorak are trying to provide well thought out changes that could be made to make the spec/class more engaging.

My rework thread: Bush’s BM and Pet Revamp

2 Likes

I personally feel that playing BM optimally is fairly engaging, I just don’t think you’re adequately rewarded for doing so with the current tuning and highly questionable AOE profile.

6 Likes