Why do wow devs hate feedback?

I’ve owned my own business too and dealing with customers takes considerable skill. Anyone can get angry and tell a customer to go to hell, that’s easy. To listen to them, calm them down, resolve their issues and keep them as a customer can require a mountain of patience and fortitude, but it’s part of being a good business.

I had a boss years ago who was a marvel when it came to customers. He’d take over from me with a customer that sounded like a certain warranty and by the time the silver tongued 'ol fox had finished, he’d turned it into a job.

4 Likes

I think this sums it up. No humans like being talked to like a dog. Hell, people talk to their dogs better than people on the forums talk to devs about the game.

Also, we don’t know that they don’t listen to feedback. For example…they made recent changes to TW experience (after the backlash about a bug being remoed), ports for SD, shards of domination tweaks, etc… And those were last week – all after receiving feedback about it.

Saying they don’t respond/listen to “feedback” is pretty generalized. The amount of feedback they get is all over the place. Warriors too strong, warriors not strong enough, warriors should be deleted, wtf blizz for creating warriors, yada yada yada. Feedback is not consistent.

3 Likes

I’ll never forget an a^*hole customer who ranted angrily at me for 10 minutes straight when I sold pest control. Turned it into a sale right at the end. The job fired me that day even though I landed them that job, lmao. They tried to set me up by giving me a real “winner” and it backfired. Their loss! :wink:

Point being, sales requires a thick skin. If you can’t handle it, you give the job to someone who can. That’s literally business.

1 Like

1 read the thread again. feedback has been given yet nothing materialised when they released the game post-beta.
2 read their twitter threads, you can see this all the time.
3 read the thread for the third time.

2 Likes

Because they think they are gods gift to game development and they can do no wrong.

7 Likes

and the other 80% of the customers? chances are they already left.

where do you even get that 80/20 nonsense.

changes are CONSTANTLY made based on feedback.

perhaps you’re just cranky because changes aren’t being made to suit YOU.

1 Like

There is an army of streamers that were providing millions in free marketing leaving them with a similar opinion.

Also, just because you put time and effort into something doesn’t mean it’s good and that feedback should be ignored.

Also, one of these streamers, Preach, mentioned things like domination shards have been pointed out as giant issues within minutes of people logging into PTR.

Given these examples, if you spend 2 weeks researching something and still put something into the game so outlandishly out of touch, then can’t stand to listen to feedback on it, you’re probably not the right person for the job.

Another thing, in many of the devs cases, your customers are already leaving in droves, and yet you’re basically telling them to take a hike? It’s all a recipe for failure and it is failing.

14 Likes

They could get it right if they’d mix some of the Legion/pre-WoD content. Including some of the stuff you listed.

1 Like

I don’t know why people ruin a perfectly good post by jamming some pro-flight nonsense in it.

People whine about lobbycraft, and yet flying is one of the biggest features at reducing the sense of immersion in the world. The world stops being a place with size and scope and danger and simply because a glorified loading screen. I used to be fine with traveling to dungeons in Shadowlands, but with flying, travel time just seems like a chore and now I feel like I need to be able to instantly get to where I want to go or the game is wasting my time, because there’s zero game-play or immersion in flying. Thankfully we’re getting Dungeon Teleports, but that only further cements the whole “Old Zones are non-existent” - the only zone that is a real zone anymore is the Maw/Korthia.

Have you seen their recent twitter responses? Those people are beyond delusional, almost drowning in their own pride while patting each other in the back for every sub lost. Blizzard devs despise their costumers and believe all us entitled simply for asking to have a product that is more than a clown fiesta.

18 Likes

Imagine being an artist that you worked hard into making your piece of work and working every day and every night and even having to work overtime to get it done while being rushed by your boss to get it done and once you got it all done and released to the public, everyone just sits there crapping on it and telling you that you should give up and be fired for the work you have done.

Yeah… I can see how WoW Devs can be pretty hesitant to feedback.

Subjective.

My sense of immersion doesn’t have to be your sense. I can immerse myself just fine from my flying mount.

7 Likes

Who the hell wants conduits? Who the hell wants Choreghast? Point me one who wants them and I will present to you multiple people who loathes these stupid systems

9 Likes

I doubt the people subjected to brutal crunches are the ones inventing the systems that are drowning the game. Far more likely, I think, that the people handing out marching orders shoulder most of the blame. What few murmurs from within via anonymous sources manage to escape hint at team members being ignored and undervalued by those closer to the top of the hierarchy.

1 Like

I don’t have it at hand, but there’s a long statement from a former community manager speaking about “dev ego” that seems to go in line with what other Blizzard employees basically said was devs feeling like rockstars.

My only guess as to how they can be so out of touch is that they literally feel the whole “you think you do but you don’t”, where they know what we want better than we do.

Why? Because they’re MFing rockstars, that’s why!

It’s unfortunate, but there are plenty of people in the world passionate about things they can’t and shouldn’t do professionally.

1 Like

haha and there we go.
thanks for proving my point :slight_smile:

1 Like

What point? You don’t have a point.

5 Likes

I like Torghast as a mini-game I play infrequently while working towards a mount and getting some conduits and legendary crafting mats.

It sucked in 9.0 but I think Torghast is quite fun in 9.1.