Why do we need two games?

Why do people want to play classic wow? I would guess for the classic elements. Why not just bring those elements back into the game? Why create two different games?

6 Likes

Because retail is beyond salvageable?

106 Likes

What about it is beyond salvageable? There is a ton of awesome content.

4 Likes

Oh I don’t deny that, but it’s too different and it has its market Classic is for an entirely different market.

15 Likes

And I would say let that market be taken care of by the easily accessible 1.12 client used by many private wow servers already in full operation. Trying to create a product for an already oversaturated market and then charging money for it when so many others already offer it for free… why?

1 Like

To get those customers that aren’t paying of course. Those people on private servers could be filling Blizzards pocket and are willing to, but that is if they release Classic. Playing a private server isn’t ideal because it can be shut down tomorrow and is always sketchy and has problems in it that Blizzard as an established entity could manage.

34 Likes

So let me get this straight. You’re saying people play a game for free, but are willing to pay for it instead for the assurance that it wont be randomly shut down?

4 Likes

That and professionalism which means customer support and not having owners selling weapons and armours on the side for real world cash and for a product that has Blizzard level of quality because private servers aren’t 100% accurate. Imagine if your account got taken away right now how would you feel?

19 Likes

Aside from how I would feel I can cite a couple of servers that offer a full classic wow experience for free with no pay to win elements at all.

Not just the assurance that it won’t be shut down. Better pings, a better community, less hacking, no shady under the table dealings by rogue gms. Private servers are methadone, and we want to chase the dragon.

Most private servers have cash shops, the ones that subsist on donations are at the mercy of chargebacks.

The one I played on shut down when a GM got caught selling unbans to chinese gold farmers (pays to speak mandarin apparently), people found out and a major donor did a chargeback. Then some time later the servers shut down again when a rogue gm deleted all the character data, and backups. And the whole time the server was split into groups speaking german, french, russian, english, and more, and the pings were horrifying.

They really are a nightmare. Private servers are basically moonshine, classic is promising an end to prohibition. It’s worth paying the alcohol taxes to be sure you won’t go blind from toilet hooch.

44 Likes

Sure, there are some exceptions to every case. But I don’t think a polished product will sell better than a slightly rougher product that you can google and download for free. Most horror stories are just that. Horror stories.

1 Like

Because retail and classic are completely different games at this point with completely different playerbases. It’s not so simple to just bring vanilla elements back to retail. Look at no flying for an example.

If this bothers you, realise every person on this planet has varying opinions, and if someone enjoys something you don’t like, deal with it. That’s how life is.

29 Likes

You could just take flying out of Azeroth and Kalimdor. Most of these are easy changes, and I’m not bothered, just curious.

Because theres no magic bullet for the entire customer base.
People are too different with the massive spread of player skill,time and dedication for blizzard to pick out 1 market to cater too.

4 Likes

Classic is a different game.

10 Likes

Bringing classic elements back into the game is not some ridiculous concept but I’m down for anyone who wants to give me some evidence as to why it would be.

If you turned modern WoW into something resembling Classic, then people who currently like modern WoW would complain because they don’t want Classic WoW.

Despite being the same game, WoW has changed so much from Vanilla to BfA that they pretty much might as well be two different games.

Some people want BfA. Some people want Classic. Blizzard sees benefit in offering both options.

37 Likes

Even if you changed retail to work just like classic, all the old content would still be pointless. No one would raid any pre-bfa content, because blues from the next expansion are better.

In EQ they did progression servers where new content opened up as soon as the old content had all been beaten. They were like 5 expansions deep in a month, and EQ was ludicrously grindy compared to WoW.

Retail and classic aren’t even the same genres anymore, let alone games. Retail is closer to Destiny than it is to Classic. You might as well ask why they’re doing a WC3 remaster instead of just folding it into World of Warcraft.

5 Likes

So… aside from what Amangina thinks players will do, and Sabetha’s awe at the distance the game has come, no actual evidence?

I am ashamed that it took me this long to realize you are trolling.

40 Likes