Why do so many people dislike skyriding / dragonriding?

I don’t like it. I get motion sickness and I’m just naturally more chill. I want to gently fly above Azeroth doing my thing, looking around at the sights. I do not like bulldozing above it at the speed of sound having to get my bearings. It stresses me out.

Turning off the wind effect does help a bit with the motion sickness…if anyone doesn’t know about that.

40 Likes

Been a day or two. Time for another megathread with the same arguments back and forth.

Playing this game shouldn’t give players stress now…and for many dragon flying does stress them out…its just another thing that comes about with dragon flying…

22 Likes

I love it. However, I think regular flying and dragon riding should be given to players at the same time. Pathfinder is nothing but pure spite.

50 Likes

Because having to land and take off again constantly depletes your Vigor like crazy. Depending on the zone, this can be a bigger or smaller issue.

Waking Shore, where a lot of nodes are on top of cliffs you can then just jump off to get airborne again isn’t a big deal, for example, but Azure Span where you not only don’t have so many elevated nodes to collect, but also need Vigor to get up terrain increases as part of routine flight, will drain you fast and leave you empty.

Skyriding’s speed advantage also depends on node sparsity for be truly advantageous. If nodes are not spaced very far apart, a lot of that advantage is reduced or even negated. If they’re really close together, it can even flip into being a detriment as you are again running into the Vigor starvation of having to constantly spend it just to get airborne again.

To the main point of the thread, I think a lot of people would be happier if the toggle between Skyriding and static flight were just more convenient. Having to land and take 5 seconds to switch universal modes is going to get old very, very fast. Either making the switch faster/doable while in flight, or letting us set Dynamic/Static per mount instead of universally would be much better received, I expect.

23 Likes

Because it’s a mini-game they have to play, while they’d prefer to AFK-fly-swim instead.

I understand the complaints, even if I don’t agree with them.

Air-swimming was just flat-out boring, I’d rather take a taxi than do that.

At least I can tab-out and watch stuff on another screen in that case.

Dynamic (Dragonriding) Flying forces me to pay attention to the world around me, and adds weight.

Which, I personally think is a good thing.

14 Likes

It’s much faster, interactive and isn’t locked behind a Pathfinder achievement. What’s not to like.

Only downside is you can’t Num lock the flight and afk like on the old mounts.

3 Likes

Change is scary!

2 Likes

Old flying has one advantage.

To be able to hover. You cannot hover in one place with dragonriding.

Old flying is like a helicopter. :helicopter:
Dragonriding is like a plane. :small_airplane:

Of course the plane is faster but there is no hover control.

25 Likes

I’m sorry, but how does the new flying cause you physical and mental pain?

7 Likes

I hate it cuz I suck at it, and have no desire to improve. I use travel mechanics to get from one point to the next. And that is the absolute extent of my desire to engage in said mechanics. That’s in any and all games in which traveling is either not one of- or is not- the main gameplay loop.

I’ll eventually adapt, as I always do.

I got just “gud enuff” to do Tindral without falling to my death. And can do Nokhud just fine.

But I really do prefer to turn my brain all the way off, at points in this game that don’t involve me killing something for something.

This mechanic denies me that, and so I’m not a fan.

And the dragon that does the dragon riding questline has one of the most AGGRAVATING VOICES I’VE EVER HEARD. I. ABSOLUTELY. HATE IT!

Enough so that I won’t even go near the Ruby questline on any other characters. Ever.

6 Likes

By all accounts - posts read on here , takes on dragon riding during live chats on a content creators stream , and just observing chat while in game tell me the majority like it.

So the folks that don’t are in the minority. But from my understanding a lot of those have disabilities or other challenges with making full use of dragon riding.

But I think the what type of riding you like in game topic is perhaps one of the silliest in the games history. I mean that speak to blizzard.

Just give both at the same time no obstacles no pathfinders nonsense. Make the toggle be applicable per mount. That would satisfy the arguments.

You could have mounts set for sky riding by default and have mounts set for tbc flying by default at the same time.

20 Likes

I think there’s some keyboard turners left and they can’t figure out how to control it or don’t want to adapt. That’s really the only thing I can think of aside from disabilities or motion sickness.

I definitely don’t think its a case of “so many” though. Just some vocal people on forums. But again, if skyriding is available from the start, I can’t think of any reason to not let normal flying also be available as its pretty much inferior for most things, aside from maybe gathering.

8 Likes

It’s just flying with extra steps. It’s handy for short distances, but too much effort for the long distance when compared to auto-running in a straight line lol.

1 Like

I don’t dislike it. It just sometimes will bother me. I can do it sometimes without it being too much. So I just switch between the two types of flying. If my eyes hurt or I have a headache, it’s TBC flying. If I’m feeling fine, it’s not bothering me, I need to get somewhere fast or do a races, I use DR.

I think it’s the best thing for motion sickness.

2 Likes

It can also suck if you’re frequently playing with bad latency.

4 Likes

Hate is a strong word. Personally, I didn’t like it at first. Yeah, going fast was fine but the “wind lines” and the graphics going all gray made it nauseating. I never even knew I could get motion sickness symptoms like this from a video game. Only ever got sick on boats before and Dramamine helps with that. Since they added accessibility options to help control this, I have come to accept it.

There are some things that still annoy me about it…

• Like I have to complete the entire expansion to re-earn steady/standard/regular (whatever it is called now) flight. That just seems petty because allowing both at the same time doesn’t hurt anything.
  • Plus the gathering while mounted has never worked for me except on maximum level characters. People always say that is a benefit.
  • And now a toggle to switch between skyriding and flight. 5 seconds of no movement. Just seems weird. I would prefer to have the option that my flight form is always flight and never skyriding. Others may choose differently. Good for them.
12 Likes

TBC Flight was/is incredibly boring. The only time I enjoyed it was doing quest objectives on a Druid. I don’t want to find things to do in a game while getting from Point A to Point B, and I don’t want to just stare at a screen.

I ultimately would opt to use flight paths more often than actually flying myself somewhere because I could just afk. A lot of the time I would intentionally afk and go smoke a joint, come back half an hour later and Im logged out at the character select screen but I was at least at my destination.

With Skyriding, I’m taking fewer smoke breaks because I can get to destinations faster, and I can engage with the system.

1 Like

It’s a very loud minority.

Skyriding/Dragonriding is by far one of the most popular features this game’s ever had.

5 Likes

I don’t dislike it. I still use standard flight to traverse small distances during quests or in-city travel. Skyriding is mostly for flying far distances, racing, or enjoying the world the Devs have created. The coming update will make the transition more difficult as we need to land if we want to change the type of mount flight. That will be a new problem for me. Added activities to slow down progress. A switch or spell for individual mounts would have been a better method in my opinion, but I don’t make decisions at Blizzard.