Why do people idolize Legion so much?

Like, it was one of the worst expansions in the history of the game for class design, it butchered all sorts of established lore, and just felt like a bad way of handling the Burning Legion.

Why is it so idolized?

25 Likes

It had good content and lots of great cosmetics.

The artifact appearances gave me ton of projects to work on that felt worthwhile and rewarding, including the mage tower. It also introduced mythic plus. Oddball things like the fishing artifact and the fishing reps or the withered army. I thought the crafting at the time was decent. Oh and the pvp tower world quests were a nice way to knockout some honor.

51 Likes

Because it was a good expansion.

Lore was good, classes were good with legendaries which weren’t too hard to get by the end, Mage Tower weapon skins that you had to prove you were decent with your class.

First iterations of World Quests and Mythic dungeons.

Return to Karazhan.

Remade Tier 6 sets.

Class order halls, campaigns and mount rewards.

Argus and resolving the Burning Legion as a whole.

Dalaran as our hub city, again. It’s a favorite.

I could go on.

If you think it was a bad expansion, well, idk what to tell you.

It was probably the best of the “modern” expansions.

106 Likes

Artifacts were a new and fresh thing that didn’t have the stigma of borrowed power yet and the content was good.

It also focused pretty hard on class fantasy, which is something I enjoyed myself.

27 Likes

I was hyped for Argus. :robot::thought_balloon:

3 Likes
  • Meaningful story-telling. Character sacrifices like Varian and Vol’jin were heartfelt and made the overall storyline bittersweet. The Legion is defeated, but at a great cost, and you can feel it.

• The replayability added by order halls: 12 class-specific storylines, 12 class-specific mounts, 36 artefact weapons with their own background lore that you can read in-game.

• We finally got a glimpse of the Ancient Kaldorei Empire. Yes, the grand civilization of Ancient Kalimdor, so mighty, and beautiful, and wondrous, and vast. Sprawling cities of magic, monumental temples to the Moon Goddess, locations that showcase the Night Elves’ pride, vanity, arrogance, but also dignity and strength, as a great people that once ruled over all lands on Azeroth.

• The return of long-awaited fan-favourites, Alleria and Turalyon.

• The beginning of Sylvanas’ villain arc that resulted in this psycho finally getting kicked out of the Horde permanently. :grin:

• All around great villains. Gul’dan, Elisande, Xavius, Azshara, Kil’jaeden, Sargeras, all around very entertaining villains to follow.

• Did I already mention that it was the beginning of the Sylvanas villain arc that resulted in her finally getting kicked from the Horde? :smile:

26 Likes

Because it was the first good expansion since Wrath at the time that it launched.

Don’t @ me.

14 Likes

No idea like even made a joke of Kil’jaeden sayin he only did all the messed up stuff he did cause he was jelly of Velen like WHAT? :dracthyr_uwahh_animated:

4 Likes

I loved Legion. It was the last great expansion for me.

15 Likes

why do people ask stupid questions so much?

15 Likes

Not a stupid question, I genuinely don’t get why people love it so much. Don’t really talk to people in WoW, and I only have my own opinion to compare to.

7 Likes

It got better every patch.
When Legion was first released I actually didn’t care for it too much. I thought the new zones were incredibly disjointed-feeling, the first raid wasn’t very fun, leveling your artifact weapon felt like busywork, they reused an old hub city, all kinds of things.

But as it progressed, the raids got super good, the class order halls had way more depth than I was originally expecting, the subsystems were really fun and lasted a long time (withered training, mage tower), the legendary gear became easier to collect and build around and play with, and the escalation of stakes felt really satisfying to me.

2 Likes

People have opinions and things. Everybody likes different things. Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean others think the same.

4 Likes

And that’s why I’m asking for people to explain why they liked it. To understand the other side.

8 Likes

The expansion wasn’t good until almost 7.3.

Rose colored glasses.

9 Likes

I’m curious, what lore did it butcher? Personally I liked legion because they got back to classes being important and having their own artifacts and quests. I found the rest of the stories entertaining as well.

3 Likes

Still better than baseline WoD, BfA, or SL, or probably even DF lol. (Better lore than DF at least.)

I think PvE grinders suffered the most from not getting their preferred legendaries or having to grind Maw of Souls or whatever the hell, at the start.

But for everyone else, it was a blast.

Casuals especially, there was always something to do, some cosmetic to chase. Hidden artifact appearances, alts to play.

And later on, megadungeon and mounts from class order hall.

And I immensely enjoyed it as a PvPer.

3 Likes

People didn’t like Legion. They liked 7.3, which was when all the rough edges associated with the expansion were smoothed out.

I personally loved Legion from the start and consider it to be a slam dunk in terms of content offerings and class design, but don’t let the current narrative of Legion being one of the expansion GOATs fool you into thinking the community had always liked it. It was lambasted on all fronts at launch and well into its life cycle.

4 Likes

:point_up: :point_up: :point_up:

as someone who doesnt give two squats about the lore, Legion was pretty good.
I just didnt like the weapon and that pathfinder garbage.
The mogs were some of the best in the game

2 Likes

Uhhhh… maybe because it was legit really good/high-quality? :man_shrugging: The questing and Class order halls in particular were immersive as hell - top notch stuff :ok_hand:

Sometimes the most simple explanation is the correct one. Even if you (personally) might disagree, the court of public opinion/the wider WoW-verse seems to universally rank Legion as solidly in the “good” column

4 Likes