Why do people expect a massive fall off?

It’s just a normal thing to expect. 1 month lifespan is true for a lot gamers before they move on.

Since you refuse to read the entire post I’ll try posting it again :slight_smile:

But sure let’s play your game let’s look at humans in SC2. 15 units, 16 buildings. Some of those have a single ability or two as well so what maybe 40-45 widgets to balance?

Now let’s look at say a vanilla druid, 48 or so base abilities before getting into talent trees. Now talent trees get even more complex with somewhere around 46 options. And then let’s look at itemization, with what a dozen or so item slots and many items that have more interesting effects than just stat buffs, and potions/use from inventory items there’s a huge chunk more variables right there. So easily over 150 widgets(being generous with items)

Yeah I’m gonna go ahead and see yes a single class in WoW is vastly more complex than a race in SC2. And there’s 8 of them in vanilla vs only 3 in SC2.

Actually, there isn’t.

Strategy is not balance, strategy is strategy.

Balance comes from unit on unit calculations.

Flame bat vs Zergling - Flame bat will always win that fight on paper, however use of burrowing and healing then re-attacking a class that can’t heal would mean the zergling would win with strategy.

Apples to oranges.

That’s because RTS’s are about using the tools you have to achieve victory. There doesn’t need to be a huge number of them to have interesting and challenging games.

Abilities and what not in an RPG are about building a diverse and in depth world. That of course has the side effect of making pvp almost impossible to balance as well as you can with a game with a relatively small number of variables like SC2.

How about the fact that private server folks suddenly have to pay again? I really think that there will be a segment of both groups who just dont want it. This whole condescension schtick that some pserver folks are coming with is tired already and it is just going to end up causing some strife when it gets pulled in game.

1 Like

And if they were as big of failures as you and most of the people here claim they would have gone the same route as THQ, Acclaim, tell tale. Yet here they are still some of the biggest names in gaming.

You all hyper focus on every little failure and unoptimal decision blizzard makes and completly ignore the numerous success theyve had. If anything kills classic wow, it will be this pessimistic attitude you all have.

1 Like

And if they were as big of failures as you and most of the people here claim they would have gone the same route as THQ, Acclaim, tell tale. Yet here they are still some of the biggest names in gaming.

Not really a valid argument, since they were combined with Activision they have the call of duty franchise to support them financially.

You all hyper focus on every little failure and unoptimal decision blizzard makes and completly ignore the numerous success theyve had. If anything kills classic wow, it will be this pessimistic attitude you all have.

The only thing that would kill classic WoW is if Blizzard updates it, if they don’t remove layering in the time frame they promised or if they mismanage the servers (which they’re already doing)

I’m interested in seeing what happens. I have a bunch of friends that are not in retail but planning to play Classic. These are basically people that quit around Cata. Based on my anecdotal information, I would think there would be an increase rather than a falloff.

And here you are doing it again. Ignoring any sucess theyve had and finding an excuse to crap on blizzard.

Also, you seriously think activision isnt the kind of company that would drop support the monent things turned sour?

I am in the same position, most of my old TBC/Wrath/Cata guild is coming back to play.

Osrs already proved this wrong

Ah yes, because crashing servers is a much better alternitive to layering. That true classic experience.

Lol what?
Please, humor me on this one, how?
Please show evidence as well.

1 Like

And here you are doing it again. Ignoring any sucess theyve had and finding an excuse to crap on blizzard.

I never said they didn’t have any success. I’m implying that the failures have out weighed the successes for years now. Getting rid of the original vanilla team was their first mistake in BC. From there it has been a slow erosion of RPG elements to bend the knee to the loudest whiners on the forums to make the game easier.

You used a straw man argument to prove that a multi billion dollar company isn’t bad because they didn’t fail like small projects do. First of all, THQ was a publisher, Acclaim produced games back on the N64 that were successful and fell under the same franchise fatigue with Turok, Tell Tale Games addressed a VERY niche market of people who like click through adventures which went out of popularity in the early 90’s.

Apples to oranges once again.

Ah yes, because crashing servers is a much better alternitive to layering. That true classic experience.

You’re implying that layering has been their only option. Their other (and proven successful) option is to create MORE servers. The active player base for this game just based on name reservations alone (which is a horrible estimate) is going to blow the limited number of servers out of the water. So yes, they are mismanaging this entire release if they don’t phase out layering on time and add more servers beforehand, rather than hoping a population in excess of 30K (just from name reservations) for a server with a cap of 10K is somehow going to diminish down to those levels in a short amount of time.

Osrs already proved this wrong

You’re comparing a free to play game to a paid game.

Lol what?
Please, humor me on this one, how?
Please show evidence as well.

See above. Blizzard has never had a successful expansion launch to date.

Many of us have grown and have responsibilities now, even if we are single we still gotta pay the dam bills. Many will come back out of nostalgia but will quickly realize that that’s all it was, and that is too time consuming for them.

Others will try to be as pure as they can be, but after they reach max level within weeks, and clear the content within a month. Most likely it will also make them leave, or go away until new phases happen.

The #Nochanges crowd is already ready to log in, complain and then leave, that will be another big chunk of people.

Retail players that will test it and hate it is another big crowd coming. Some might stay but they will not be able to satisfy their instant gratification in vanilla.

The only ones left will be the real fans who see this more than just a game and will enjoy making alts, raiding weekly with their guilds, professions and WPVP. That’s the long term crowd, which might be like 100,000 tops.

Your time frames are very off base.

No one will reach max level within weeks, especially if they have a full time job. The only people who will do this are no lifers speed leveling or having multiple people playing their accounts.

As far as end game content, they have a release schedule set in place so clearing all the end game content would only occur once Naxx is finally released.

My Nostalgia has already worn off from playing 30+ hours in the beta testing, and I’m still excited to play a CHALLENGING RPG which we haven’t seen in decades.

I am part of the #NoChanges crowd, and as long as there are no changes (with the exception of the texture upgrade, thankfully not a model upgrade) I will remain.

While I agree there will be some who want instant gratification, I think others will be open to the new challenge the game poses and stay for the socialization and the friends they make along the way, as long as they are open to jolly cooperation.

1 Like

Actually both legion and BfA had solid launches.
I guess that would go unnoticed though if you focuced only on the failures.

And youre grasping for straws.
OSRS is the best example we have of a classic MMO revival done right.

The short version is that they can always add servers later, you cant remove them. If you wanna scream about this more you can go be wrong in one of the countless layering threads.

No they havent. You have to be completly delusional to think this after the outstanding success theyve seen with overwatch and hearthstone. Not to mention all their minor sucesses with their other games.

The only game id say was more of a failure than a success is HotS, and thats because it came at the exact wrong time

1 Like

Actually both legion and BfA had solid launches.

I don’t think we played the same game. Server queues and server crashes were abundant for the first 3 days.

The short version is that they can always add servers later, you cant remove them. If you wanna scream about this more you can go be wrong in one of the countless layering threads.

Actually you are inherently, and categorically incorrect. They can ALWAYS remove servers by merging them, as they have done in the past. Not creating enough servers creates server lag, server crashes, and server queues. This inevitably ends up in FREE server transfers being offered and CONVINCING players to take them (I know, because I TOOK one of these server transfers when my server blew up in population in WOTLK) - This costs them FAR more money offering free transfers to people who would otherwise pay for them, than just merging two servers and preserving the community of both servers behind the scenes.

Instead, the players who transfer are thrown into an entirely new community they have no attachment to and are more likely to quit the game from that point forward, hence costing blizzard more money.

No they havent. You have to be completly delusional to think this after the outstanding success theyve seen with overwatch and hearthstone. Not to mention all their minor sucesses with their other games.

Conjecture. Each of those can be taken for it’s own merit, and I would say Hearthstone has resulted in a failure similar to HOTS considering it’s population numbers.

Osrs got increased by mobile launch. Before that it pop was lower.
RS3 still has more PC users than osrs too.

I mean, i do remeber vanilla and BC launch beign extremely bad.
But all other launches were fine. Both legion and bfa were pretty smooth for me and my friends.

They didnt merge though they created connected realms tech.

They used to give free transfers and in fact kept creating new realms throughout vanilla i remeber whne i played on Azshara server on i’s launch, was awesome.

1 Like