Why do people defend pathfinder?

i really like your idea for Pathfinder. have it cost a decent sum of gold. say 50k for one character(50k is alot for me bc im bad at gold, theory number). and then have Pathfinder achievement that unlocks it for free on all future/past characters

1 Like

WPVP sucks. its just a glorified gang bang. think that one white chick with the black dudes. but way way fiester

Pathfinder would have been fine if it didn’t come with a year long wait and a part 2. Should have just been an achievement you get whenever you get it and none of this waiting a year for no reason.

2 Likes

You people are just recycling the same points over and over and over.

None are compelling.

Pathfinder remains.

It is a discussion forum. If you don’t like the thread you can avoid it.

Back to the topic at hand yeah the defense of PF isn’t very strong. You make more gold on alts by having flying on your main and sending tomes to alts.

The gating of PF isn’t a gold savings if you do the simple napkin math.

3 Likes

Yeah I agree with Mafic, avoid the thread if you don’t like the comments you read.

2 Likes

I’d you culled the repetition out of this threaded there would be like maybe 15-20 points. They are just on repeat by the same people

That’s nice, thanks for telling us this. We really needed to know what you think.

So you think a multi billion dollar company is risking 1-3 million subscribers who pay 15 a month for petty spite? Am I saying that right?

2 Likes

When the most loyal and richest fans boo you at your own show for saying pathfinder will be in SL and you still keep it in the game. Yes.

4 Likes

You dont see more or it since your perspective changes. You see the bigger picture but lose alot of the small details. Second a world is not interactive if every interaction you have with it is on your own terms. When your flying the world becomes window dressing with some points isolated points of interest.

I guess you’ve never flown low to the ground have you? You think that every time you get on a flying mount you go all the way up to the top of the sky box right?

I’ll tell you right now that’s not always the case. You don’t miss anything when flying. You can be as interactive or distant with the world as you want to be. You that pesky little thing called choice? You must land to actually do any content so you literally miss nothing. Just for the record I’m talking about after PF1 is done. Seen it and done it all from the ground before. After that being on the ground becomes pointless tedium.

5 Likes

this is probably a good point

I’d be curious to know what was so bad about the pandaland expansion, which triggered all this bullcrap in the first place

2 Likes

Ok so lets see does flying interact with verticality design,does it interact with mob placement, road placement, any environemental obstacle… No it dosent. Second yeah maybe you dont have to fly up but it sure as hell is what most people do since you hardly see people flying at all when on the ground since they are too high up. Third it makes the world bland you dont even have to logout in a safe place since you jsut fly up and your good… If playing with the world in an MMO is tedium than i guess you dont like the world at all.

First time? Sure keep us on the ground. That’s the whole point of PF right? Once it’s done you’ve done all the content from the ground many times over. Once PF1 is done there is zero reason to still be locked to the ground. There’s where the tedium sets in. You do the content and see no reward from it. Not sure why you can’t understand this.

3 Likes

Because i dont consider taking myself out of the game a reward… I like the world they made. I enjoy both its flaws and its strenghts… Look im a Dark souls fanatic so you may understand where i come from. I hate the bonfire warping in that game… while it is extremely practical it removes so many exploration and travel moments that were present in the first game… thats why DS1 is the only game of the series in witch i know the world like the back of my hand…

1 Like

That is some impressive mental gymnastics there. I would love it it Pathfinder was a reward for that, but the majority of it is repetitive grinds and world quests. Its tedious filler, hardly anything to do with experiencing the story, zones and main world activities.

4 Likes

Ok sorry about that, reality needed to take the front seat there for a while.

With that said, back to the World of Warcraft, and the topic of making flight a more meaningful part of a player’s experience.

Summary first, in no particular order of importance. Empty space between, Regions, lots of it, … check. Islands of reality, home to NPCs, or just a place to pull mobs of hostile creatures, who want to eat you, … also check.

You can defeat them, and use skinning, mining, or herbalism, to collect resources. With training in those professions, they should be a good source of crafting resources. So, in that empty space between and the skies above regions, we have mobs, just some of the flying hazards, you will encounter while flying, between regions and in regions.

With the use of existing effects, whirlwinds, wind sheers, spatial anomalies, which could dismount you, or stun your mount. Clouds which slow your mount speed, as slow as unmounted swim speeds, or cause you to lose control and change directions, climb, dive, bank, spiral, reverse course without training, or outright stuns your mount, so you will fall from the sky, while mounted. You will have to decide whether to stay mounted, or dismount, and use a slow fall method, parachute, glider, or ride out the stun period, and hope it does not get refreshed, by hitting another cloud, or another anomaly.

Training, … in the form of region side quest chains that will end, and yes Region (World) Quests, that should offer a choice of a variety of rewards, including some flying buffs. The chance to choose from a variety of rewards should keep the World quests relevant to your chosen content, as you play through your chosen content. End of Summary.

Changing tracks, … about PF “Player Franchise” and what that might mean, as we keep moving forward. Starting with Definitions, PF “Player Franchise.” This is my game, and I will play how I want to. Sound pretty straight forward, or does that sound selfish? Well, while we are on the topic of selfish, let’s look at the other PF, “Pathfinder,” and the game it is used in, where I need to pay a subscription to play, yep cool, it cost money to maintain, and continue to expand the content of an expansion, and keep the infrastructure needed to enable a MMORPG to run smoothly, … check. Then, what should be my open game world, access paid for, and now in my hands, … well it is not. A key feature, I want is hobbled by Pathfinder.

That is as good as telling me to my face, you WILL do as you are told, and complete the content, I tell you to complete, (how, and when is up to you,) or I WILL deny you access to certain features, like flying, and other features, like the very best equipment. For the latter, you will have to do instances, at THE most difficult levels.

Well to be fair, Blizzard, is opening what sources a player can tap into, to equip their Heroes, champions, mains, alts. If the sources of equipment are as good as I imagine them to be, we should see characters equipped with comparable, sources of equipment, with the different sources offering different set bonuses, which will further enrich your game experience in your chosen content.

Equipment and Upgrade Rewards, from the most difficult M+ dungeons and raids, instance Pinatas, Player crafted, PVP vendors, and if Blizzard is really leaning towards “Player Franchise” then players being able to access the Covenants, and Hermit Crafter NPCs, out there on their own Islands of reality, in that … space between, those other spaces called Covenant Regions. Well enough about my dislike of Pathfinder.

Blink and you will miss it, … what, is the Shadowlands? Well from what Ion said, it is a realm, where infinite realities exist, those realities manifest as regions. During the Shadowlands expansion, we will apparently be attuned to six of those Regions, four of those regions belonging to four separate covenants, one belonging to The Arbiter, and “cue drumroll,” … the Maw.

Getting around, by flying, without Pathfinder in the picture, will require creative adaptation of existing visual and game physics effects, already present in the game, a little imagination, centred on PF Player Franchise, ensuring this will only be one of several methods of travel, between regions, players can choose from. Other methods, portal hubs, hearthstones, and the introduction of consumable hearthstones, which can be attuned to the hearths of dozens of NPCs as you build friendships, and relationships with those NPCs.

“How to make friends and influence people” more PF Player Franchise, in a world enriched by genuine friendships, relationships, associations, with NPCs and players, some born out of convenience, or similar agendas.

So those players who really are not interested in beating to death Instance Pinatas, for rewards, or other players, come to think of it. Two other core features, I whole heartedly accept as being part of World of Warcraft, deserving of Player Franchise, which I have absolutely no interest in.

I have touched on a lot more about these topics in other posts in this forum, and a few other forums topics I started. Hear is a little more on those Islands I mentioned. A short story, …

What is that over there? I have flown across this expanse several times several times, some of these Islands stay, other come and go. This Island is new, and different from the others. Most of the other Islands are a third or a quarter the size of this Island.

But what is most glaring different, it is a section of street, with people appearing and disappearing from either end. None of them seem to notice me, if I touch them, all they feel is a slight chill. Some of these people go in and out of the doorways, they stand and chat. None of the doorway I can enter, except one. Maybe there is someone inside, where and when this place is? They might have some knickknack to sell me. I hope this is one of those Islands that stays.

You do know warping with the bonfires is optional right? Just like staying on the ground is optional. If you prefer to play that way what’s stopping you? Why can’t you stsy on the ground and be happy while I fly and be happy? Are you really that selfish?

3 Likes

While I’m grounded, I can only see what’s immediately around me. Twenty feet clearly, maybe fifty feet is actually visible, sometimes less like when I’m on the side of the pyramid. I often take a moment and perch on some high point and just take in the view. I may not be able to see an entire zone this way, but I can see a lot farther than the next building or tree. Nazjatar is actually a rather pretty zone, but it’s hard to tell from the ground. Would have been better if it’d stayed flooded like the beauty that is Vashi’jr.

4 Likes