Why do new players need to be handheld so much?

I do, yes.

Most of the people playing this game have no clue what’s going on.

You seem to feel that humanity has dropped a large slice of its IQ in the last 20 years with your questions and odd tangential approach: on the one hand 'why do they need to be handheld?" and on the other, pointing out they are having trouble with the game.

I can only say this: I think I’m fairly bright but if I came into WoW with zero MMO experience (which was me when I started in '09) I doubt I would have lasted a session without the guides and introduction and Newcomer Chat guides to help me figure it out. And even then I would have struggled.

Good for you. Not everyone is you. Try to widen your narrow field of vision.

1 Like

A: New generation of gamers was raised to be lazy and incompetent.

B: Gaming went mainstream, people who don’t care about gaming at all are now the dominant faction.

C: Modern society frowns on effort / critical thinking.

D: Mass substance abuse and other factors have lowered average IQ by quite a lot, and it’s still in freefall.

have you seen the TikTok trends? I don’t have much hope that they are intelligent to be honest.

And that clearly did not mean how a class played back then.

It’s not really the “new players” but current players who want to make an Alt and level it as quickly as possible.
So, Blizzard removed pretty much every obstacle that would’ve slowed their progress to the point where there’s essentially no challenge to getting a character to max level at all.

I’m guessing it’s one of the primary reasons they started Classic.

1 Like

Well I was speaking from my experience with games in general and others that have displayed frustration in games around stuff like that

I’ve never seen someone scream “back in my day I walked uphill in the snow barefoot” so much without actually saying that. I was 20 years old when I started playing back in vanilla and enjoyed it thoroughly. However doesn’t it make sense that the game would evolve and these things u mention such as having to research how to do specific quests outside of the game would now be implemented into the game. There’s only a small portion of you out there that still want to play a 20 year old version of a game. Those days are gone. Either enjoy the game, play classic, or play another game. Noones asking you to hold their hand.

I’ve never seen so much stupidity in one post. Everyone of those statements are completely false. Noone was raised to be purposely lazy or incompetent boomer. People obviously care about gaming…hence why there are millions of people worldwide (adults and children) playing games. Society does not frown on critical thinking. That’s ridiculous. Mass substance abuse? Wtf are you even talking about.

1 Like

I agree and I don’t.

I played EQ2 like 3 years after it launched and I was completely lost because the community itself evolves along with all the new systems introduced.

How do I do x?

Community: “no one does x anymore”

Well what do I do to get to y?

Community: “bro just take portal!”

What portal?

Community: "geez Google it.*

PS -

This isn’t false. It’s been going on for decades. I’ll quote: “Don’t worry, folks. I’m here to do the thinking for you.” Guess who?

It always cracks me up when gamers call other gamers lazy.

My brother in christ you are participating in one of the laziest possible hobbies out there.

3 Likes

There’s a reason why teachers teach students new concepts the way they do. It’s because that’s how our brains work. That’s how learning works.

I understand that after playing videogames for decades advanced players like to flatter themselves by thinking they never had to learn anything, because they just knew it all before the first time they paid for a wow sub.

Fact: you didn’t teach yourself to be fluent in a foreign language, nor mastered calculus, nor biology without help. There is nothing special and unique about videogames that makes it have a learning process entirely different from anything humans learn in real life. There’s just people with a short memory who like to think they always knew it all and kids these days are stupid. Typical videogame tribalist.

1 Like

I came back at the start of DF and had no idea how the game worked and I’ve been a WoW player since TBC.

They need “handheld”? No, they are new and need HELP learning.

I had no issues beating video games before I could even read.
There’s zero reason for the “yellow paint” design.
Your comment makes no sense.

Since I alluded to it earlier, here’s the Game Theory video I mentioned that explains just how far truly new players have to go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jFreGK27DA

As mentioned, your first Mario game is only level 8 out of 10.

RPGs actually show up sooner than I thought, at level 7… but with the HUGE caveat that learning the game is linked to the player’s reading ability. And even then, reasoning, learning and logic are all required. Perhaps unsurprisingly, Pokemon is cited as the go-to for starting the genre.

But yeah, the requirements and baseline skills players need to learn are quite surprising. What can appear to be “basic” to you is already a big hurdle for many, especially if it’s actually their first video game.

As for where WoW sits on this scale? It’s at level 10… and so is nearly the ENTIRETY of the modern gaming industry, for one basic reason , and it just might surprise you. It’s independent camera control, something which many probably don’t even think about these days.

But it’s mostly to show that there actually is a surprisingly long learning curve when it comes to playing video games. People have to learn a LOT on the fundamental level before getting into the more abstract and thematic concepts required for stuff like RPGs, let along MMORPGs.

You have to learn how to walk before you can run.

So don’t expect someone to instantly know how to run & jump with precision while controlling the camera in a 3D space, let alone know how optimize damage outputs and avoid a semi-randomized cluster of swirlies.

And considering WoW’s (earlier) popularity, I wouldn’t be surprised if it actually was many players actual first video game… and considering how rough it can be learn the hard way through WoW, it may explain why some people have a harder time trying other games. They’ve skipped the fundamentals and are concerned they may have to learn from scratch again.

well yes actually you very much could do this, the complex part is knowing where everything goes but if you have step by step instructions then it’s no different from building a lego.

You figured it out on your own? Dude, you stated you went to gamefaqs to “figure it out yourself” which isn’t figuring it out yourself, that’s biting off of someone else’s success and willingness to share that success with others.

I also don’t think gamers want their hand held, they just want to be pointed in a direction and be told go this way. Elden Ring did a fantastic job of this, don’t tell you what to do, but they point where you should head… plus they incentivize exploration, which is something we have no need of in WOW.

I mean back in the vanilla WOW days, you think people figured it out themselves? No. They used google and found out that way… information is just too accessible.

Yes, because you have had 20 years of the game training you not only how to interact with it, but it also trained you how to learn to interact with it, so every time things change, and you have to relearn/readjust to your class/spec, and new boss mechanics etc, you’ve done it for so long that it’s second nature/instinctive to you now.

It’s similar to learning things like riding a horse, skiing, or driving a car.

Skiing and driving are mostly simple, because while all of them require time for the basic skills to become second nature so even though every mountain or car handles a little differently, the basics are the same. It’s faster to get to the point where your focus can be other drivers, conditions, the road itself, and either a known, familiar route or a new, strange one.

Skiing and driving are closer to mobile games in this analogy, while horseback riding is more like playing a computer-based MMO.

Riding a horse is far more complex for the simple reason no two horses are alike, and they have minds of their own which is why it takes longer to master because you have to learn how to deal with a different species in all its variations, and instinctively deal with their different sizes, temperaments, personalities, and quirks.

The more experienced riders instinctively make those adjustments on the fly, just like you do now with WoW.

Back in the day it was basically standard routine to look up almost everything on places like thottbot first. Many things like quests were so random or counter-intuitive that it would be nearly impossible to do them without looking it up first. As much as I love to look back nostalgically; in reality, some things weren’t that great. Most of the changes that have been made over the years in order to make things “easier” have been legitimate improvements.

3 Likes

That’s an extremely fallacious comparison. It’s nearly insane how bad that is.

1 Like

But you can’t give us a rational argument as to why.
Basically the foot stomping part of logical argument.