Why do new players need to be handheld so much?

Then you learn there’s a plume upwards for the stack signal.

1 Like

Again, think about this feom someone just starting, if this is the level of complexity thats involved, why am i going to bother when i can sit down and just have fun shooting mechanical dinosaurs with a bow and arrow and not have to look up guides online of get any external addons.

Then you would be playing in LFR or normal where most people can ignore mechanics.

1 Like

You’re really over complicating things lol.

Moving out of bad is a cornerstone of like every single video game in existence.

Soaking and such aren’t these completely wild ideas that takes decades of video game playing to understand.

Stopping a bad magic guy from using a spell is a very traditional thing.

Well being new and having friends who were already playing had some benefits for me, also I know how to use external websites and video streaming platforms if I ever get stuck.

I’ve played other games but wow is my first MMO.

I’d say the game doesn’t teach you enough, honestly.
But I don’t think OP wants to have a good faith conversation anyways considering they call a super barebones tutorial “handholding”.

2 Likes

it’s the TikTok generation. Reading? Too much work. Learning? Too much work Thinking? Too much work. Playing? Too much work.

They want to login, buy all the equipment and achievements in the online shop and play mog dress up. The end.

1 Like

That’s because after the big boys kill the big boss they unsub until the next raid.

All your suggestions would result in the game becoming less profitable. You are not a charity.

Some people just need the little W’s to pat themselves on their backs.

But as it’s already been said.
It’s not being handheld because they need to learn the basics. God help them if the new players decide to try rated content.
If they survive that long

1 Like

Because even if the game drops you in ‘old content’ for leveling, you’re still using modern systems and mechanics which are only relevant to the current expansion.

What I meant by what I said is that you don’t need to know how your class played in previous expansions because it no longer plays that way. All of the game mechanics that were updated or changed don’t revert back when you go to old content, you don’t need to know about buying Cold Weather flying or visiting trainers because you just get skills and riding automatically, for example, you don’t need to buy or download an add-on to help you find quest objectives because the game automatically marks it on your maps now, and most off what people learned in prior expansions becomes outdated/useless information when moving into new expansions where at best it remains as (un)pleasant memories.

The only thing that sticks is general game knowledge and muscle memory which can be developed in a single expansion without being held back by not being there for the expansions prior.

We are living at a time when the majority of the people have less than 60 minutes a day at their disposal.

If things are not clearly explained to them, they miss out on them, as they can´t go out to the web and search for it.

The issue with WOW is, that you are confronted with 20 years of game mechanics, which may be clear to veterans, but not so to new players.

I did sneak into an MMO again, that I played 12 years ago. I was completely overwhelmed and could not get anything done.

The problem with WOW in particular is, that the mechanics are still not explained that well to new players, but that content is made so easy that you lack motivation to explore it. This leads to boredom and is counter productive to the goal of winning new players.

One of the last(?) Game Theory videos is actually a rather thorough guide on all the steps needed for someone to actually understand how to play video games.

If I recall correctly, Mario - what most consider the basics of platforming - isn’t introduced until you’re on step 6-8 and near the end of the process.

More abstract games like RPGs (never mind complex ones) aren’t even in that guide other than maybe a brief mention at the end. It’s the raw fundamentals of connecting how inputs on the controller translate into actions on screen; including the basics of movement.

But yeah, it’s quite surprising in retrospect… but also on full display as you watch a 5-6 year old kid struggle to grasp that trying to rotate the controller like a steering wheel does not help them go the right way in Mario Kart.

2 Likes

No one was talking about class mechanics before. The game is absolutely massive and theres virtually no way to know within the game what you should focus on.

The post I responded to was in regards to the difference between someone with 20+ years of WoW knowledge and someone just starting, and as I said, 99% of the things you learn in WoW become irrelevant in 2-5 years due to:
Mechanics changing
New features being added
Content becoming trivial or trimmed down

That said, a brand new player can get Gladiator and Cutting Edge assuming they are game-literate and are capable of learning but there’s a major difference between ‘new to WoW’ and ‘new to gaming’ and the tutorials are more directed to those who are ‘new to gaming.’

It’s what’s taught in school.

There’s something called alert fatigue and information dumping. Exiles reach and a lot of games do both a bit too much.

So many annoying little pop ups not just holding your hand but crushing it makes you resent them and they ignore them and try and rebelliously learn on your own.

We had the luxury of learning as the game came out and slowly expanded over decades and time to learn things on our own slowly. Games almost don’t let you now

Just another generic old head thread.

Are you confident in the assertion that this is annoying and builds resentment for a player who has never touched a tab-target wasd-key MMORPG before?

I wouldn’t know because I’ve played wow since 2005, so I don’t think I can comment on how a new players feels about the introduction

Frankly, this is just how multiplayer gaming in general is if you aren’t playing at the same level of knowledge & skill as the other party, with a few exceptions of course.

Most things feeling good and balanced depends as much on WHO is in the game as it does the actual numbers and design put into the game by the devs.

Doesn’t matter if its PvE or PvP, things are going to feel off and be less enjoyable if the group of people playing has highly differing levels of skill, even if other factors are all equal.

This is why it’s so much better to start a new game with friends instead of trying to drag them into your long-time nerdhole. Some skills carry over, especially in certain genres, but in general if everyone is mostly blind, you’re all gonna be on a similar level at least for a bit.

Some may be new to mmos.

1 Like