Why do Horde races want to be in the horde?

If not Orcs being put in internment camps, what was the other option? Let them go? That’s the dumbest thing anyone could have possibly done.

Execute them?

3 Likes

All the options were terrible. But completely understandable why some, especially people like Greymane, felt the way they did

I damn near quit the game over the War of Thorns, just from hearing about it (I refused to play it). Don’t you tell me I secretly enjoyed it. It destroyed the reason I play the game, which was not for the purpose of feeling powerful for being cruel to Night Elves, thank you very much.

I’ve also said this before, but my solution would be to create a new Alliance character. I like the idea of a hotshot young military general who’s out for glory and power and doesn’t care about breaking a few moral eggs to get it. Someone who could be a foil for Anduin/Turalyon, maybe steal some public affection from whichever one of them is currently on the throne.

The problem with Greymane, Admiral Rodgers, and Jaina Proudmoore is that they are only mean because the Horde did mean things to them first. That’s why I like the idea of an Alliance antagonist who’s just plain out for number one. No cycle of hatred, just naked selfishness.

Yes, thank you. I find it a little disturbing that someone is incapable of even imagining us not liking it.

16 Likes

I think it’s because, even when we try to convince ourselves otherwise, there were a lot of people who did enjoy WoT on both sides.

I just mentioned those two, because at least they aren’t afraid to break the rules and punch back at the horde. The whole pacifist Anduin reign is boring.

Saying “what else should the alliance have done, kill them?” is a false dilemma because abuse and enslavement is not a requirement for keeping people prisoner.

15 Likes

I mean powerful characters who get to do something in non-faction war expansions.

I think the more relevant question is, would the orcs have preferred it? (Of course, that depends on which flavor of honor the orcs are huffing that day…) Especially when you think about the fact that it was apparently meant to apply to their descendants forever.

Ever seen or read Beloved?

Honestly? With how we know they acted on Draenor WITHOUT the demon blood? I could see them…preferring that over being enslaved and forced into gladiator combat.

And no I haven’t read or seen Beloved. What’s it about?

That’s what I mean by depending on the flavor of honor. You might get different answers from pre- and post-WoD retcon orcs.

It’s a plot point that a woman who has escaped from slavery with her children and is about to be captured tries to kill her children because she believes that is better for them than a life of slavery.

That sounds heart wrenching to read. I’ll have to see if my local bookstore has it

Remember the only thing worse than the Horde literally trying to exterminate Humanity and the Draenei is putting said Horde into camps.

3 Likes

To make it worse, that part is based on a true story.

1 Like

I have never said there was no one who enjoyed it. Some people only care about beating the other team. But I was responding to a post that said there was no one on the Horde side who didn’t enjoy it.

4 Likes

Yep. I’ve been whine nannering about the tree since before we burned it, but kyalin wove a narrative that I’ve never escaped from, despite there being post evidencento the contrary.

It’s weird that people still think the camps even matter.

I mean, given Orc lifespans, it has been at least a generation since then. And even that group doesn’t include Maghar Orcs. And the Orcs are a minority int he Horde as a whole.

It really all about trying to claim racial guilt. I’ll pass.

Kinda unbelievable and awful someone is even arguing that tbh

4 Likes

Agreed.
It’s a real mask off moment.

1 Like

It wasn’t slavery. It was more like penal labour, after the Horde had DESTROYED ENTIRE CITIES. Most of the orcs didn’t even do anything because of the Lethargy.

I intended to further elucidate on this, but got distracted.
The whole story marries the blood elves to the Horde: Permanently.
After that story, Lor’themar becomes permanently done with the alliance, and so are the Blood Elves as a result.

Lor’themar even talks about becoming Warchief if he needs to.

The story was made to unify the blood elves with the Horde in a natural way, because they had previously felt alien and apart. They have been For the Horde ever since.

The story was never going to take Lor’themar or the blood elves away from the Horde to add them to the Alliance.

3 Likes
6 Likes

I’m sorry that the poor orcs were forced to make up for slaughtering entire cities.

As a side note, the US does not consider Penal labor as slavery, and that is exactly what the Horde was doing.

1 Like