Why did you choose Horde/Alliance?

I am generally curious why people choose the way they did. I know many people choose based off what their friends were playing, but i would think that many others had specific reasons on why they choose Horde or Alliance.

I chose alliance for a combination of reasons. I did not really know much about WoW (I started on the day servers opened in Vanilla, and had done no research beforehand). I had been playing EQ, and one thing I did know was that Humans (in EQ) couldn’t see for crap at night, and needed wisp stones or lanterns to be able to get by (or have a spell).

So i figured I would go Night Elf, since the name sorta implied that I would be able to see at night. Many may not know, but EQ didn’t follow the real world day night cycle, you basically got nighttime several times during a play session.

Secondly, and I know this was newbish of me, but I thought Horde were the evil guys (again, I did no research beforehand), and can honestly say I really didn’t even read the descriptions of the races on the character select screen. I mean I saw they had undead, and well, my first thought was EVVVVVILLLLL!!

Of course, since then, I have of course played both factions, and enjoy both of them. I mean, I play Alliance now, and a human Paladin, but I would switch to a NE paladin immediately if one was offered. On that same vein I would switch to an Orc female paladin immediately if they could be Paladins as well.

I like the story on both sides as well. Though this may ruffle some feathers, I do feel like the Horde story line is a little more interesting than the Alliance one.

At any rate, please post why you choose the way you did if you have time.

3 Likes

I chose alliance because the guy who convinced me to play was playing alliance. I then chose horde because I wanted to do the goblin story line. Now I have 2 mains.

1 Like

Humans. That’s it.

I like elf and human aesthetic and theres less alliance so i figured id contribute to help the faction imbalance.

Also my inlaws guild was alliance

1 Like

My first character was a night elf druidin a private server named “Wow Scape” back in i don’t remember…

Since then i always choose Alliance…

1 Like

i played as a alliance when i first started in classic up to cata.
then i quit wow for a long time then came back which was in october 2 years ago give or take
now i am on the horde side
i just love the horde city’s more

Well… I really wanted to make a Blood Elf when I first started playing but my brother wanted to play with his friend on Alliance so we went Alliance. Since then we’ve been in both factions and prefer Horde. For me it’s mostly about races and player base, I’ve had better experiences on Horde than on Alliance.

1. A friend played Horde
  2. the RTS games felt more interesting from the Horde side to me
  3. Why play a random “good guy” race like every other video game, when I could be, y’know, a big troll?
  4. I wanted to see more of Kalimdor, which was new and strange, instead of the Eastern Kingdoms which were already familiar (and didn’t care for Night Elves)
1 Like

I love both factions. Grew up playing WC3 a lot. I mean A LOT. Love the Night Elves, love the Tauren and Orcs…Burning Crusade came out and everything changed with the Draenei being released. Best race.

I don’t care for the factions. Races > Factions every time.

6 Likes

I chose Horde for the Fantasy of being other than Human and I didn’t particularly care for the look of any of the Aliiance races. I still don’t care for the Alliance. If you do however, more power to ya.

Back when my cousin showed me wow, I was deep in my 14 year old teen edgy phase. So naturally, I picked forsaken warlock for my first character. Been horde for the most part since then.

I always played in both factions simply because both factions have races that I enjoy. I never cared if they were Alliance/Horde, and personally I don’t enjoy the faction conflicts nor PVP that much

2 Likes

Chose Alliance because I don’t want to burn children alive and be evil for no reason

2 Likes

I started off as Alliance because all friends were but always liked Horde better. When they killed off Varian whom I think was the best faction leader besides Sylvanas and most friends moved on, I switched to Horde finally as main. Horde to me is way more interesting than Alliance. I do have Alliance alts though.

i like big shoulders, so i play horde.

off-topic why is there no wow parody video of i like big butts but for shoulders instead.

Started as alliance because the guy who invited me was alliance, after doing characters of every alliance race I realized I didn’t belong there, my place was always with the losers, the ugly and the outcasts, the moment I listened Valley of Strength music for the first time was like “yep dude, I’m in”.

1 Like

Tauren. Enhoof said its yet to steer me wrong thus fur and its so amoosing no bull! It’s fun yes you herd me right but ok enough of the cow punds I wouldnt want to be grounded when I finally got to toot my horn on such a beefy topic.

1 Like

My character choices are primarily based on race rather than faction. I started on Alliance because I wanted to play a Night Elf. If Night Elves were Horde instead that’s where I’d be back then.

Yonara is Alliance because this is the faction I was most familiar with at the time, given that my main before then was a Worgen.

1 Like

I didn’t choose, I actively play both factions. I don’t like missing half the story.

Be the change you want to see on the world!

1 Like

Fun fact: my first character was a night elf who used Darnassus as hub because I didn’t like Stormwind crowded streets