Why did they remove wands in retail?

Wands are an integral part of leveling a caster in Classic. Why were they removed in retail?

2 Likes

They technically exist but are just equipped in main hand now. The third item slot where a ranged weapon/relic/etc would go was removed because by the point they were removed they were largely just stat sticks and nothing more with no real utilities. Classes had evolved past needing those items.

1 Like

because classes like priest who relied on wands to level dont ever run out of mana anymore which makes them pointless

13 Likes

yeah, I’d say mana pool. Also, it felt like a weapon doubly attached to rank skill mastery

because they are fun and flavorful

retail is all about homogeney and sterility

22 Likes

Because the wow devs finally discovered we only have two hands and can only hold a weapon and an off hand at the same time. To also be able to use a wand implies we have three hands and that’s just hideous.

A priest finished off a developer’s Warrior with a wand in a PVP fight.
It was too humiliating.

19 Likes

Wands aren’t fun… it’s just ranged auto-attack. Good riddance i say.

8 Likes

you can still use them as mainhand, and they do shoot missiles if you right click the mob. the damage is near nonexistent but its a thing.

It’s just that blizzard is an indie game company and they can’t manage too many things that have to keep in mind in class balancing.

I mean how do you make wands useful to casters when they don’t even use mana to begin with? Arcane mages could use them but blizzard doesn’t remember they exist.

Considering the clunky & annoying nature of wand mechanics, they should have removed them if they weren’t going to fix them.

1 Like

Odd considering the game has never been more homogenized then in vanilla/classic…

Also in what way is a ranged auto attack more fun and flavorful then casting your spells as a caster?

2 Likes

I remember leveling my priest in vanilla and just using power word shield and wanding monsters down all the time to conserve mana. During raids it wasn’t uncommon for a paladin to put a wisdom seal on the boss and the casters and healers would start wanding it to get mana back.

Once Naxx came out they really became irrelevant. Casters got better gear so better mana regeneration and they were totally obsolete by the next expansion.

In classic I wand after setting up my dots to conserve mana.

In retail who cares about mana so I shadowbolt if I’m not doing anything else. Pretty sure that’s intended.

Really what you’re talking about is one filler (shadowbolt) vs another (wand) so playing both I don’t see much qualitative difference.

They decided it was more fun for casters to be casting rather than auto attacking.

You may agree or disagree but there was a blizzard response about it a long time ago when they were removed.

7 Likes

This. They fixed healing too. I am watching streams of people healing and it takes me back. The constant cancel casting.

Because the all-knowing devs homogenized everything so that everyone and everyting was same.

3 Likes

Same reason they removed nearly all talents and any reason to play most of the game: simplification.

1 Like

Nobody tell him about bags or pockets.

Because Blizz has smol muscles and wanted to remove as much carry weight as possible even if it cost flavor.

I really enjoy leveling in classic, it’s been amazing and a million times better than retail.

But do people really “enjoy” trying their best to not use actual class abilities and wand instead?

I started a priest, and it’s so insanely boring wanding it’s criminal. I have awesome spells to use but their mana costs vs the mana free wand damage just makes them not worth it.

2 Likes