Why did RBG die?

All this talk about how bg with rating will be the future of pvp … how did RBG die?

Was boring, the most toxic population settled into it and nobody wanted to deal with them, getting 10 players together was more work than 2-3, Degenerate class stacking playstyle, was boring.

rated blitz will thrive IF it’s populated enough to where it inflates to the point people just get rewards for queing. Going to come with even more complaints than shuffle for sure tho. I don’t think its going to ever get a competitive higher rated scene.

4 Likes

Not so much now but use to be plagued with botters/hackers. I remember I sold my old account in WoD and 2 hours later my friend asked why I was in an rbg on Xaryu’s stream flyhacking

1 Like

I wouldn’t even go that far.

Was more that there was 1 meta comp and that was it.

2 Likes

they said the same thing for RBG.

and blitz wont have that once its rated?

I see

Are we trying to argue against the answers given as if that’ll prop up the corpse that is rbgs

I think people are delusional if they think blitz is going to exist as anything but a casual reward farm.

If for whatever reason the majority of the players get stuck low rated, like 1100-1600 (which I think will be impossible given the likely population of it) then it will quickly go on to exist as it does now.

On the other hand like I said, if the population pushes the rating up to a point where even the most casual of players is getting rewards just for queing, it will thrive just because of that.

Did they? I don’t think rbgs ever thrived, it of course had more of a population than it does these days but it was never like the “happening” game mode like shuffle became.

2 Likes

Everyone absolutely loved RBGs when they first came out. A lot of people still do love rbgs. But the vast majority of people don’t like getting 10 man groups together just to do one RBG, have a healer inevitably not dispel anything ever, call everyone else bad, cause a giant flame session, and everyone leaves just to have to start the cycle anew.

BGB does away with the biggest reason people stopped doing RBGs, having to constantly put groups together.

2 Likes

so you think people wont insta quit the moment they get murked?

Biggest things that hurt RBGs (imo) was only 1 or 2 tanks were viable and you could easily sit 30+ minites waiting for one (or a Rogue), and the severe lack of middle rating players. RBG LFG is basically either Glads/Hero groups, or 1200 players taking whoever they can get.

Toxicity definitely plays a role, but unless you’re routinely queuing at above 2k+ MMR and joining Discords you probably aren’t having to really deal with too many crazy people.

BGB is going to have major issues of its own, such as being instantly given a massive advantage for RNGing onto a meta comp team, versus one that isn’t (and whatever idiot decided to put bloodlust into the mix to further augment the gap RNG can play), and I suspect leavers will be a real problem.

But like the guy above said, if average-above average players can chill queue BGs to Rival, or Duelist BGB will be a major success that will see enormous amounts of activity (for a PVP mode, anyway).

3 Likes

It depends. I think BGB is less likely to have leavers than RSS simply because there’s not 6 rounds. I’m sure there will still be leavers, but probably not to the extent that RSS does.

I’d personally like to see Blizzard implement a system where, if someone leaves the BGB, the remaining players will get + or - CR, but their MMR remains unchanged. Unlike the leaver, who would get the MMR impact of whoever the losing team would have been.

1 Like

sounds about identical to getting a raid together for pve.
I haven’t played blitz enough to say that I’m fully on board, but this game mode seems a thousand percent better as a rated platform than shuffle IMHO.

1 Like

That would probably be the most solid bandaid you could hope for, for sure.

I think what will likely be the biggest attraction is healing BGB won’t suck as much as RSS so more healers will play it, which should reduce queue times for solo DPS, but DPS can also partner up with a healer friend and duo queue. I’m already going to have to level/gear 3 or 4 Priests to keep up with btag demands. Lol

Amount of time it took to get a progression-oriented team together was too much work

People were sitting 40 minutes+ in LFG to make meta teams. Only real way to play was to yolo, which you cannot progress with past average ratings.

3 Likes

Yeah I messed around with rbg’s last year and by far the biggest issue was that it was just too time consuming to make a group and then everyone leaves after a loss.

2 Likes

Tried one yesterday. One of the healers decided they’d queue as a dps, and we got rolled hard. I’m fairly convinced the other team was on comms while ours was a no comms yolo.

They need to make it so you have to have a certain make-up before queuing so teams are on a theoretical even playing field.

Not sure on that I can see 8 toxic players blaming the new healer

Designer disrespect, and the choice of dopamine, nostalgia and (illegal?) FOMO over long-term improvement.
Blizzard keeps fragmenting the game into 10000000 different versions, adding solo queue alternatives, shifting rewards from the group-based activities (aka the MMO aspect) to the solo brackets, and giving everybody’s 20 years-worth of collectibles for free via the trading post. The list goes on… but nothing feels meaningful anymore, and the escapism is slowly transforming to fit a culture that seeks everything, instantly, the same. Mere simulacrity.

Just imagine what the game could have been like if all the resources had been focused on reverting from bad system experimentations, reinforcing the dev-player feedback loops and adding evergreen content and more horizontal progression systems.

1 Like

I can’t, it’s 6v6.

Complete Mistweaver domination for how many seasons now?

Give revival a forbearance type debuff to stop class the stacking.

Even if it is dead, it is fun q’ing with friends, if you have that many ( dunno why forming is so hard for people ).