Why did Blizzard make skill not matter anymore?

Back in the day, the better player/team would usually win the game.
Outplaying an enemy actually felt rewarding and making mistakes felt punishing. I feel like MoP was the last expansion where skill was a factor that could win you games, now it’s all about gear and comps.

I wonder why Blizzard made it this way? I’m sure that new players played an important role in this decision, but does it really feel better for new players to win games because they have better gear/comps instead of having improved their gameplay?
I feel like the only difference between a 2k and a 3k player is their use of kicks and cooldowns and their synergy with their team. Rotations have become easy enough that everyone can do damage and live forever now.

It also doesn’t really feel fun to play arenas if it’s always comp/gear roulette. Pve players have been complaining about the class design too, so I wonder why Blizzard still goes the way of pruning everything? At this rate we’ll only have 3 spells left per class after the next 3 expansions

3 Likes

It might be time for you to find a new game to play.

7 Likes

I personally think they are trying to get the game to a point where some one can play it with a controller, and maybe they might go to console. This can be some pessimistic conspiracy theory or whatever, but I just don’t understand any other reason why they continue to homogenize classes when both PvE’rs and PVP’ers say they don’t like it.

3 Likes

pve gear shouldnt be in pvp…its simple.

4 Likes

I still don’t understand this logic, I could have all the gear in the world as a Rival. Players like Pikaboo, Snutz, Trill, and whatever other rank ones would mop the floor with me. Of course skill matters.

1 Like

You just don’t understand losing. Never blame yourself. Work down the list and follow the script.

4 Likes

The same small group of people always make it in the tournaments so obviously skill is a factor lol

1 Like

The games are much closer than they should be, and realistically if this game was good 1 or 2 of them should be able to wipe the floor with your entire team.

Like they shouldn’t even need a 3rd.

4 Likes

I remember this happening in WotLK where 1 person would completely carry/dominate a match. I also remember people in blue gear getting to the top of the ladder and this was when gear was super important like it is now.

I mean just to your point the last time i fought Pikaboo in 2’s (no this isn’t a brag idk why I q into him but I have) we lasted until his 2nd vendetta was over. Sure he was carrying a healer, but I’m sure they were no worse than mine. But think about it. I lasted almost 3+ minutes in arena vs. 1 of the best players in the world while I was playing no voice 2’s with some random healer.

Why did that happen? It happened because there is only so much he can do in the current game which just illustrates the point that skill is not as important as it used to be. It doesn’t have the same impact. And honestly playing against him did not feel THAT much different from any other Assassination Rogue in 2’s.

3 Likes

Arena has always been dominated by gear and comps. Skill has only ever mattered when those are equal.

1 Like

I beat Pika in 2’s on my DK in week 1 when he was on stream! His healer DC’ed and dropped from stealth so we killed them instead while he tried valiantly to win. Unfortunately he got BfA’ed. The best part? I got my seasonal Combatant title from the win and I’m from Moon Guard so the comments in chat and from Pika were pretty funny. Then he queued RMPala with Xaryu or whatever for the rest of the evening and went on like an 12 game win streak before I closed the stream.

2 Likes

lol nice and good example. It used to be possible to 2v1 and you could be sure the (arguably) best rogue in the world is capable of it if given the correct tools.

2 Likes

I guarantee if this was WOTLK through MoP he would’ve crushed us by himself. I’m 2100ish on a good day, I’m nowhere near his league. That BfA lets this happen is just sad.

1 Like

Its actually this generation of gaming, almost all devs now do everything for the new player, they use RNG a lot, so new and bad players can still win randomly or by luck.

Now this is terrible in the long run, because if those new players keep playing or get good, they rage or call not fair to dying to newer players and they leave the game

This is how you make quick cash in the gaming industry now, and when your game is dead you move on to the next one or the sequel

3 Likes

Maybe what… 10%(maybe less?) of the entire player base gets into high mythic raiding/m+ or arena.
Basically the only crowd of people who wish for more complexity to distinguish themselves from other players/guilds/teams.

But we know they cater to the other 90% of players.

People on twitch mouse clicking half their spells in a m+15 for example.
Or dungeons with high rio pvers who at the end of the run their “damage taken” rivals the tanks.

Dumbing down the gameplay/mechanics/rotations are the only way that those 70-90% could ever make it into that content/ratings

So I mean, you kinda answered your own question

its not a bad thing if you want to succeed at something difficult to separate yourself from the pack. this new thing thats like “you just want to show that you’re better than everybody else because youre sad” is just something that people who suck at stuff say.

old wow is like chess, where an expert can absolutely dominate somebody who just started. for ambitious people who are interested in chess, that would make them want to improve to be able to compete with that expert one day. new wow (wod-bfa) is like tic-tac-toe. you can play a million games while i’ve played zero, and i’ll be able to compete with you. thats why nobody over the age of 8 plays tic-tac-toe.

1 Like

He’s number 1 because of the 3s format, so alot of the skill he has in coordinating with teammates and dealing with all the different situations 3s provides. In 2s there are less variables because of less players, he also doesn’t have voice with his teammate, so he’s basically just reduced to being a good duelist with an NPC side kick.

lol def not. If anything 2’s is like slow motion to him and just makes everything 5x easier.

Unfair and innacurate.

Lots of console games takes more skill than mmos. Even in the past.

The philosophy was this…

If timmy was a noob feral druid but jimmy was a pro feral druid, wouldent it be great if the only difference was rng in their damage??

Then tons of people will play the game then right?

That design philosophy reminds me of the story Harrison Bergeron…