Why complain about the wow storyline?

Exactly.
Yeah, that new corvette has the same stuff under the hood with that puke green paint job…but… lol

Furthermore if I’m not invested in the story and actively hate it that affects my enjoyment and will to log in and do stuff. If I don’t like the characters why should I want to interact with them? If I think the plot of dungeons, raids and zones is asinine why would I want to run them?

I mean, yeah, I can ignore them (and I do at this point) but I am still constantly hammered with characters, plots, and zones I detest and I can’t block it out completely.

Add on the terrible gameplay systems and you can’t even enjoy the gameplay and skip the story. Both aren’t great and actively make the game unpleasant for someone who wants to be invested in either

5 Likes

Wow has fallen victim to the star wars effect of nothing ever being good anymore for the hardcore fans. Which whatever, sometimes some grumbling can be a good thing. I don’t see why people have to make it personal by calling out specific devs, writers, ect.

4 Likes

In a role playing game, the main focus should be what YOU, and often your friends, do.

I played up to the end of Burning Crusade, included, without anything at all about the story, Illidan & C. I, with my guildies and friends, were the story. And it was epic enough.

This week I started helping another player with an elite, as I always do, and discovered that it was a many-million HP big boss. It took is us more than ten minutes to defeat it, but we did at last, and cheered a lot. No Hazzikostas or Danuser shenanigans can do anything against those moments.

Stop hiding Danuser behind a low level alt…your story sucks and you should resign

8 Likes

Danuser isn’t even the problem. He has no control over the story ( Afrasiabi was the one who demanded Sylvanas burn Teldressil) and just does whatever the marketing team or senior developers tell him to do.

The writing team, funnily enough, has no control over WoW’s story and hasn’t for a long time.

2 Likes

Yes. They come here to tell us how bad the WoW story is…

While celebrating space bunnies growing carrots on a moon ship while the guy with wings as ears tries to destroy the world

2 Likes

The difference between FF14 and WoW is that FF14 actually has decent to great writing and builds off the previous expansion’s story. WoW’s story doesn’t flow organically and oftentimes just takes weird or stupid swerves for no logical reason and character personalities can drastically change from expansion to expansion or even patch to patch and in some extreme cases quest to quest

9 Likes

HAHAHA I wish I could give a million likes to your post.

Let me savour it again:
“Space bunnies growing carrots on a moon ship while the guy with wings as ears tries to destroy the world.”

Yes, and they come here and lecture us on how bad the WoW story. :stuck_out_tongue:

What makes FF14’s story so great is that they can take such odd and nonsensical characters, and through the storytelling make us feel for them and their causes. Where as in WoW they take what used to be interesting characters and through their storytelling just make us not care and wish it was over.

WoW’s story (and I use the term loosely) reads like a cliffnote version of a storyboard filled with what people thought were cool moments. There’s so much hinting as to what’s coming that they don’t bother to tell us what is actually HAPPENING. We don’t learn anything but the barest hints of character motivations, and we don’t form a bond with any of the characters. Lore points and motivation change constantly, and that makes the entire thing a jumbled mess.

7 Likes

The main difference is that WoW dedicates some minutes to their abysmally bad story, while FF14 dedicates… hours? Days? Months?.. to their abysmally bad story.

Because one can’t enjoy a terrible story?

This is an RPG after all, and in an RPG the story matters, to quote someone else: “Do you think anybody would play The Witcher if the story sucked?”.

3 Likes

You go to a restaurant and they serve you poop on a plate but why complain? The ambience is still nice and the waiter told you they were sorry every 3 months.

6 Likes

This…no one knows why jailer wants to change the system and what he wants to replace it with

4 Likes

He literally tells you he wants to remake the system so all will serve him.

1 Like

Tastes are subjective but imo Shadowbringer’s story was fantastic and Endwalker’s was also great. Not perfect. But by videogame standards and especially MMO standards it was top notch.

5 Likes

IF you dont know then its probably a waste of time explaining you , either way some of us are not hamsters addicted to the wheel and have being playing warcraft since the first games /read books etc and the narrative and the way the plot moves not to mention to crush important storylines that were very good back in the day its sad .
imagine watching GOT and loving it and then out of nowhere season 8 happens , well BFA was the first part of season 8 for wow and SL is the second .

1 Like

And that’s the problem…they are just Disney level bad…no complexity nothing

7 Likes

He’s a generic boring bad guy who is so badly written that even the really awful Diablo 3 villains that wouldn’t shut up for two minutes are better written than him.

8 Likes

Hey now, even Disney can have complexity…

2 Likes