Why Classic will not be vanilla WoW

I’m not saying that the game itself is better or worse without the involved addons that were in vanilla. Just that it’s going to be a lot different than it used to be. Overall, classic is going to be a poor imitation of vanilla.

By 1.12 the Robo Macros were gone already.

A friend of mine wrote one of the one button rogue add ons, and it got killed. Also, it will likely be the BfA macro engine in a Classic environment, so anything you can do now, you’ll be able to do in Classic.

Lot of refinement and exploits and been fixed since then.

Big difference between BfA and Classic will be there return of abilities not bound to GCD.

Classic is not going to be an “imitation”. Pservers were an imitation!

Vanilla itself was an ever-changing beast, with serious problems at every stage (even 1.12), but generally increasing awesomeness (Alterac Valley aside :stuck_out_tongue:). It really makes little sense for Blizzard or the player base at large to try to recapitulate that experience exactly. Particularly when it comes to addons, which again, were ever-changing throughout the course of vanilla.

unplayable wtf

1 Like

So they’ve officially announced they won’t be using time travel and a memory deletion device for Classic launch? Can you link the blue post please?

1 Like

I’m actually all for them changing a lot of things and improving on vanilla WoW, I just think that a lot of people are going to be disappointed in both directions.

1. People who want classic to be vanilla, exactly the same with no changes. Complete nostalgia for how things were, they’ll be disappointed with any changes

2. People who have this idea that vanilla was this this amazing thing because of how others talk about it and don’t know what a rough game it was compared to modern WoW. They’ll be disappointed that it’s so much more difficult than they are used to.

Honestly, I think the resources would be better spent in making a better modern WoW than emulating a game from 15 years ago or so. But we’ll see how this experiment turns out!

Perhaps you don’t know that those existed in Vanilla. Plus, Ion said they won’t allow certain addons.

Of course I know those exited… I’m saying ppl can’t have the same addons/macros.
In vanilla I had macros that did multiple things and some were based on the situation.

The classic addon and macro system will change the vanilla meta… making those classes that were/are considered to be the best drop down a couple of notches.

It’s gonna be fun listening to warriors and rogues complain… they r gonna have a tough time without those addons+macros… Especially in PvP.

I’d rather just play on a p-server with no sharding and working macros/addons.

Classic is going to flop due to changes like that.

Engi also wins in PvE… and is the only viable option for primary profession for any serious about the game.

I don’t think so. It’s only breaking gimmicky macros that were already broke (atleast for warriors due to weapon swap GCD) and preventing the silly World of Roguecraft one-button GG macro.

1 Like

I didn’t hardly use any addons or macros in vanilla.

Only macros I used were like /cast Bloodrage
/yell “FOR THE HOOOOOORDDDE!!!”

xD

1 Like

Why would it flop just because you can’t have borderline bot addons/macros? E.g. healbot was stupid af, so were some other API features back then. I’d be more concerned about things that shouldn’t be in, like mouseover targeting.

1 Like

“Rogues will not b e as good” ok… but why? are you going to explain? please?

I thought that was a Burning Crusade recipe.

idk if you know, but there was macros and addons in vanilla…

might be…It’s been awhile since I did any engineering lol.

I hope people realize that a lot of these higher end raiding guilds on private servers basically did not play the game due to how the old macro/addon api were handled.

You could make addons and a chain of 5-6 macros that litterally played your toons rotation. From Tanking to dps to healing these macros were used pretty heavily.

Its a very good thing that all of these things are gonna be destroyed.

4 Likes

I never needed Add-ons to help
Me play lol only one I ever used is quest helper or ui add-on
I don’t use key bindings either I like to play my game and think about what to do I hate dps gauge I hope this is not allowed

vanilla had the ability to run scripted macros, to the point you could automate many different things. that’s been removed from the modern engine. scripts dont run now. like i had a simple macro script that dd the following:

if i pushed the forward arrow (up arrow) to move forward, it would unsheath my weapons or weapon and offhand. i did that cause monk weapons would vanish when sheathed. doesnt work anymore.