Why can't enhance wield 2h weaps?

I don’t play shaman a lot, but in anticipation for classic I am finding out that enhancement shaman used to have some great builds that used 2h maces instead of dual wielding.

When did we loose that? And why can’t we bring it back?

Seen this post one too many time. But for me, I don’t quite miss Enh losing 2h wep than when we still have Int as casting stats. For a period of time, it was competitve to dual wield caster maces or daggers.

Back then, maelstrom wasn’t a resource, but kinda like rogue combo points, each point reduces cast time by 20%. The rotation is to build to 5, and release instant cast Lightning Bolt or Healing Wave.

Dual-wielding caster weapons heavily increases spell damage and healing, while drastically reduces melee damage. It’s even possible to hold one of each, really bringing the feel of hybrid to the game.

they killed 2hd enhancement in mop.

Not really. That’s when they removed the proficiency for 2h maxes and Axes. They started pushing Dual Weild as the preferred option in TBC.

Then in Wrath they officially stated that DW was the optimal and officially supported way.

You can still use two handed weapons, but Stormstrike and Lava Lash require one handed weapons to function. The talent that gives Frostbrand a damage-on-hit component also doesn’t work correctly with a two handed weapon.

But everything else works fine. I spend maelstrom on overcharged Lightning Bolts, Earthen Spikes, Crash Lightnings for multiple enemies, and either Fury of Air in pve or Sundering and a lot of instant Healing Surges in pvp. I also watch my Focused Winds get to 3 stacks on average, sometimes even 5 stacks before it drops off. Feels good.

It’s definitely not the way Blizzard wants you to play enhance. But I’ve been doing it without issue at 109 for a few weeks now thanks to my heirloom Lava Dredger. Running dungeons, beating alliance in pvp, and farming old content for xmogs.

Unfortunately there aren’t any agi two handers at 120 for shaman. It’s pretty much just a niche build for lower levels who are curious.