Why can't Blizzard figure out DK?

Seems really weird to me that Blizzard can’t seem to get our class figured out.

Don’t get me wrong, I love DK and I exclusively play DK.

Blood seems to struggle so much in higher keys and raid tanking due to mitigation, kiting, and poor DPS.

Frost has fallen off a cliff as a spec. The DPS just sucks unless you’ve insanely stacked your mastery for BOS in M+, but its virtually unplayable in raid compared to unholy. Obliterate, my personal favorite spec to play just can’t stand up compared to any of the other DPS specs DK has to offer.

Unholy seems to be the golden child for DKs right now, super cool we have an in demand spec. However, my god I can’t stand playing this spec. You have a ton of mechanics that don’t seem like they interact with each other at all. Personally, I’m not interested in pet classes, but at least I get to play the class.

Why does it feel like Blizzard just can’t seem to nail down how to make this class playable outside of one spec at a time? Is anyone else having the same experience as me?

19 Likes

I’ll say what I’ll always say.

Wrath of the Lich King ptsd is still present. In both Pve and Pvp. Unholy maybe what you’d call their “Golden child” now, but… this is only the initial release content. Mark my words they are not going to allow unholy to ride this high for the rest of the expansion. As for frost it will either get nothing or a small insignificant buff to sigh obliterate :unamused:

As for blood, it will probably go untouched or have some ridiculous nerf for no reason.

So…yeah. I’m sticking to this. If I’m wrong, then someone should save my post to show just how wrong I was.

23 Likes

@xinove This also my opinion

Obliterate is not the spec. This is so rampant with Frost right now where people say its the spec, or that its the main talent that people only want to play and everything else should be deleted. To me this tells me where peoples focus actually is, not on the spec as a whole, but on one singular ability over everything else.

Frost is also the product of the playerbase, the only thing you can really blame Blizzard on is implementing the playerbases ideas. Those people quit WoW before Shadowlands even started. Played the pre-patch for 5 minutes and said “this sucks im out” and left. Its those peoples fault if anyone actually hates what Frost is now.

Because they don’t care. Take a look at our talents

Blood worms are finnaly good and how many expansions did that take?

I could go on but I don’t feel like a rant now

4 Likes

Blood worms has been the go-to talent in that tier for blood for years.

2 Likes

I know.

And all or most of the testing have focused on… Obliterate.

So the most they’ll probably do is focus on that then call it a day.

Will save this as I’m predicting blood will be top tier raid tank in patch 9.2 and 9.3

1 Like

Ever since the October nerfs, Frost has not seen competitive in the light of day for CN and M+. A bit of an overstatement there but at least it’s doing okay in PvP thanks to Heartstop and Chill Streak.

Majority of Frost Dks want something to add into their rotation other than just mindlessly spamming Obliterate, Frost Strike with Remorseless Winter as just another CD to maintain. Like an execute that people either want Soul Reaper, Merciless Combat or a reworked Avalanche that look like Bolvar throwing those pillars of ice at Sylvanas.

BoS needs to be looked at. Seriously, it’s as hated as OG Voidform.

Hey, at least Koltira is doing something to lessen up the pain. 10% Obliterate Damage may be nice that it will benefit for DW 4 times if you’re a NF DK and that 2 Rune Refund is a big deal.

5 Likes

Thing is, no one is saying Obliterate is the spec. Rather, people are focusing Obliterate so much because at least its not bloody Breath of Sindragosa. We have all of two viable builds, one of which far outperforms the other, so people are desperately wanting Obliterate to be as close to on par with BoS as possible so they don’t have to be shoehorned into playing BoS. Granted, having something else added to the rotation that just isn’t mindlessly spamming Obliterate would be nice, but for starters we actually have to get the Obliterate spec to output numbers comparable to the BoS tripe.

4 Likes

I still plan on going for Rage of the Frozen Champion over Koltira; the damage and rune refund chance seem way too small in my humble opinion.

Bloodmallet states that Koltira is ahead in Patchwerk while RotFC is behind Biting Cold in Hectic Cleave with Koltira behind RotFC in the same tier.

I think it really depends on the player who wants to specialize different things. My case, those two runes means a lot to me. Much so that the refund chance is worth it.

The original post literally said “Obliterate, my personal favorite spec to play”. You also use Obliterate in Breath of Sindragosa. So even you mean Obliteration, and not actually Obliterate but why do you keep saying Obliterate? Its a spell, a core ability of the spec. =

The Obliteration spec is just a window to give Killing Machine procs and is really no different than the core spec. And BoS is going to be better because of the design philosophy of Blizzard. An active ability, which BoS is because you have to maintain it, is going to perform better than passive ones.

For Obliterate to be a good stable ability, KM rank 2 does need to be removed. So many people, pve and pvp alike, hates the damage of Obliterate outside of KM procs. You either remove KM rank 2 or buff Obliterate and nerf Mastery which just brings down the damage of the entire spec instead of just adjusting Obliterates damage.

If anything there would be very minor buffs.

I suppose. To be honest though, I also feel like Frost Legendaries fall into the “not exactly good but we’ll use one of them anyway because that’s all we have” tier. Too many Legendaries fall into this category, however; it is to the point I’m not even sure why they implemented this system in the first place. Some of them, like Paladin’s The Mad Paragon (which isn’t even a damn spec specific, for crying out loud!) are really good, but then you have others like Koltira which, while decent at the very least, doesn’t really improve the overall feel of Frost. It gives you a minuscule amount of damage and might give you two runes once in a blue moon.

8 Likes

@Xinove you said to save the post and blood just got a small buff (not that it changes much outside of keys)

1 Like

For years, meaning, since it got reworked for Legion. Otherwise, no, it wasn’t go-to before that.

Go-to was Death Pact, Death Siphon or Conversion, each of them were far far superior to the options we have now.

For some reason Blood was pruned and gutted into the ground (PVP is my suspicion because of all the ranged nuking and disease dmg they USED to have) All the talents it currently has were also nerfed in Legion, half the tree doesn’t even exist anymore or was added/reworked for Legion, it’s a complete trainwreck.

Foul Bulwark was the go-to, now it’s not even in the same row, no one picks it nor can you pick it since it’s still in a row that makes no sense LOL.

You also see it swept under the rug how BDK couldn’t even function in raids when Legion launched because IBF was pruned; they had to add it back half way through Emerald Nightmare.
TRAINWRECK.

8 Likes

why dont people like unholy?

Cause its clunky and weird play style imo

5 Likes

The focus on obliterate/obliteration isn’t the real problem, but the symptom. BoS is a talent that needs to be rework asap (blizz ain’t removing that any time soon) due to its unrealiability, Icecap got gutted down without azerite, Champ’ons! traits so people resort to obliteration for those big crits and such, and this is where the spec flaws show themselves on their true horror.
Like, sure a dmg buff and small silver tape tweaks will do the trick for now, but the spec desperately needs an overall rework.

2 Likes

Like, sure a dmg buff and small silver tape tweaks will do the trick for now, but the spec desperately needs an overall rework.

Honestly, I feel like the whole class does. Frost is as has been pointed out here, blood is in a wheelchair right now and it’s hands are getting charged just trying to get rolling, and unholy atleast has a skooma infused pet to carry it, but it’s clunky as hell.

3 Likes