Why can't Blizzard admit no one likes Divine Steed?

“No one” is hyperbole, but it’s still the majority sentiment.

Can Blizzard at LEAST admit to Paladins they are selling what no one wants?

Paladins don’t care what the excuse is, “Doesn’t fit the Paladin vision”, isn’t a reason to implement something almost universally despised.

Paladins want different things, I want better defensive cooldowns and snare removal, some people want charges, other people want sprints, dashes, teleports, leaps, you name it.

You know what they have in common?

They don’t like Divine Steed.

89 Likes

How about “Divine Pursuit” which by default is a horse but then you have glyphs that turn it into other forms like a holy charge or something.

Basically sprint but with different effects then a talent that you can opt in to having it remove roots / snares.

This way the people that like the horse (I like the horse) and the people that don’t like the horse can pick and it does all that stuff mentioned.

8 Likes

For me it’s not the horse, it’s the ridiculousness of its implementation.

Why do I need to mount a horse for 3 seconds? A magical 3 second crotch horse is even more ridiculous when you see it.

If I could ride around on a horse for 20, 30 seconds as a cooldown? I’d be more willing to accept it.

29 Likes

Ah got you and that’s understandable. That does go into the whole “Divine Pursuit” though to where a glyph (or a pally quest or the pally trainer) can change the appearance of it.

More talents too to extend the time of it that kind of thing. I get what you mean and I can see where it would be silly to just mount up for a few seconds then dismount. I like the horse because it’s like BY THE LIGHT I GET MY STEED! xD haha

To add: I do like having abilities that are open to interpretation with glyphs or quests for different appearances.

1 Like

Honestly, just make a Speed of Light Glyph at this point. it’s crazy how consistently angry everyone is over summoning a darn horse. The only thing I see as an issue that isn’t purely aesthetic is the fact you have to invest 4 points into it just to get a second charge and a couple of seconds, at least make the 4 points a powerful investment, like automatically casting Freedom on yourself when your horse.

But yeah, the seething hatred over what’s essentially a short dash with a fancy graphic is just wierd at this point.

13 Likes

There are non-aesthetic reasons to dislike it, many actually I listed a few of them. Some people prefer other types of mobility. Personally, I have a few others I’d much prefer mechanically over divine steed.

7 Likes

I do like the idea of a sprint. I can 100% see that being a viable replacement for it.

Idk a teleport wouldn’t work but charges and leaps could.

Ive been asking for the removal of DS or at the very least visual change (to speed of light) pre SL but wanted it gone even before that. Idk what to say ive never met any Paladin that actually likes the way DS looks and how it works. I feel like we need to really push for the removal of DS for Dragonflight since they are focusing on the core of every class. If its not gone this xpac its not going away and I dont want to use this damn pony anymore.

6 Likes

[raises hand]

I like Divine Steed.

9 Likes

I’m betting there is a dev who likes it and and no one else cares enough to argue against it, so we’re going to get stuck with it again :person_facepalming:

I really doubt any devs play Ret in any serious content, otherwise there is no way we’d be designed with the same deficiencies and unpopular abilities multiple expansions in a row.

18 Likes

Well, for a very long time it would fail to cast if you were in a doorway that was too low. Also, it would sometimes cancel a mount summon if the mount cast finished just as Steed ended.

And there’s still the way it can mess up camera angles, and it doesn’t fit in some places indoors.

Currently if you talent for two charges and have the conduit to extend its duration is not terrible, but it’s still on a longish cooldown, so it’s of limited use for getting out and then back into melee when there’s a ‘run out’ mechanic. PoJ (any version) or LAotL (the +40% version) were hugely better.

Back in MoP and WoD when we could choose any of the three, what I saw was Holy taking the ‘sprint’ (i.e. what became Steed), while Prot and Ret took one or the other of the other two (depending on tuning, preference, and content). For three expansions now we’ve had that choice removed from us, and it’s shaping up for DF to be the fourth. They talk about customisation, finding interesting build combos, and so on, and then give us ‘choice’ only in how bad our one mobility ‘choice’ will be. Note that there isn’t even a realistic choice to not take it, given it’s the only way to get Wings.

11 Likes

19 Likes

At this point its purely out of spite. There can be no other explanation. They know we despise it and yet they do not care.

They claim to be “listening” this xpac?
Massive load of horse sht, IF you were listening why was loatl added then removed??? Why is jv still even a thing?

But most important you devs KNOW players hate the steed. Yet a random diablo 3 dev still thinks that crusader fits in wow. News flash blizz it doesn’t nor will it ever.

So please blizz get off your high steed and listen!

16 Likes

this is my theory with Light of Dawn. It’s somebodies baby, there’s no other explanation for such a god awful spell.

5 Likes

Funny enough, when divine steed was added to the legion beta, we also had that turalyon might charge ability. So it was cool to think wed have a charge and a horse. Then they removed the charge and kept a 1 min, 3 second horse. Only until prepatch did they finally bump it down to 45 seconds and add the cavalier talent.

8 Likes

I spent quite a lot of time arguing against that sword (way too many clicks and faffing around for a movement ability), but I never argued for the pony (Speed of Light lite). I wanted PoJ or a good LAotL, or to keep the choice we had in MoP/WoD.

But no, we lost the sword and got the damned pony.

4 Likes

Hell, it be funnier if it was actually a literal copy paste of D3 steed.
Dragging mobs from 1 pack to another to chain pull, knocking mobs on the ground by running them over, damaging them even.

But instead it’s a worse version on every front. :man_facepalming:

9 Likes

As I recall, in Legion Protection had a talent that gave something like that. However, nobody took it, probably because on a 3s duration 45s CD ability it wasn’t worth it.

1 Like

It was (and still is?) a PVP talent. You couldn’t pick that in PVE if I recall.

Steed of Glory.
Your Divine Steed lasts for an additional 2 sec.

While active you become immune to movement impairing effects, and you knock back enemies that you move through.

And it just goes back to what I’m always saying. It feels like Ret is designed purely from a PVP standpoint and from someone playing against it.

Remember the dev note

That said, our goal for Retribution Paladin is to keep their strengths in removing things that hinder their mobility,

Imagine saying that about Ret paladin in PVE. It doesn’t compute at all.
The only way the statement could be true is, if the person saying it believed Ret had baseline access to Steed of Glory (prot specific PVP talent), Blessing of Sanctuary (Ret specific PVP talent) and Hallowed Ground (Prot PVP specific talent that makes Consec clears and suppress all snares on allies).

This is why I also specify someone playing against us (on very low level) and probably not paying any attention to which spec the paladin is using.

If those were all indeed part of Ret baseline kit the statement would hold some ground but it’s just not the case. And it’s mind boggling.

6 Likes

Just make pursuit of justice a thing.

There was zero reason to remove it.

Quite literally the slow Jason Vorheez class that is DK has more/better implimented mobility/catch up mechanics than paladin does.

9 Likes