Why bring a warrior to M+

Title. Arms or Prot, more from a Prot perspective vs any other available class.
I’m honestly curious.

A good prot war is easy af to heal. Also they can dish out some mean damage.

2 Likes

spell reflect works really well, and you’re pretty much running 4 dps with a prot warrior.

5 Likes

Begone DK the healer gets the final say.

5 Likes
  • The strongest physical mitigation in the game
  • The highest AoE damage of any tank by a huge margin
  • Spell reflect (does far more DPS on bosses where it’s useable than even DPS classes on tyrannical weeks; not tracked by meters, check logs)
  • Safeguard can be used to counter several high damage boss mechanics that target DPS (drain fluids, severing axe, and spit gold to name a few from King’s Rest alone) though you won’t really need to do this at most levels; it’s only really useful for the top end

Some of these reasons dovetail into other things like Warrior’s ability to handle huge mob pulls as long as the incoming damage is primarily physical and as Notholy pointed out their damage intake is very smooth. They also have access to 2 relatively short cooldown stuns (and a much longer cooldown fear) for mob abilities which aren’t interruptable but are stunnable (infest, flechettes, going bananas, severing blade, etc.) although those are generally just as easily interrupted with grip.

I can’t speak to DPS warrior since I never really play it but abilities like colossus smash/siegebreaker, bladestorm, and recklessness give them great burst damage which rivals Demon Hunter and Rogue but utility-wise they’re outclassed (though that only really matters at the top end)

Edit: Also, hey, you’re WRA, I think I’ve seen you around Dazar’alor! Hi!

4 Likes

A good prot Warrior will bring great dps along with having great mitigation.

DK needs more nerfs to the self healing

I’ve seen you around a few times too, so hi! I’ve kinda given up on pushing keys though.

Freehold, Tyrannical Waycrest, Tyrannical Shrine, Atal, Tyrannical Underrot, are all dungeons where prot warrior is arguably one of, if not tied for, best tank.

Fury and arms are both good where they’re good, and are high tier outside the meta. But they are not in the meta, by means of infested.

1 Like

Hopefully Reaping lightens the necessity for hard cc.

After a first preliminary test in 8.1.5, the only melee viable in M​​+ (hi key) are dh and rouge. Shroud and aoe stun are game braking.
Nothing new.

1 Like

Every time I am in Waycrest on my DK I wish I was on my Warrior.

The MOTHERLODE!! is close to being awesome for Warriors too except Rixxa Fluxflame and those Masterminds and Blowtorches.

Prot tank… pretty sure they’re just fine.

1 Like

Prot is fine. Arms and Fury no, not for hi key.

2 Likes

OP specifically asked more from a prot perspective. For dps, frankly in high keys no melee is “fine” over DH and rogue. Doesn’t mean they can’t do them, but if you’re min/maxing then sure, dh and rogue is it.

Note, this group also has a ww monk, so obviously you can use other melee besides DH and rogue.

1 Like

oh yeah, tyrannical is not really an option for anyone except pally or dk

WW is a close third to DH and rogue, especially after the 8.1 change to good karma. They are slightly less tanky now, but they also have the option to take RoP

omg WRA! WRA! WRA!

What was the question?

1 Like

It’s doable, it just requires a completely different approach; method NA was close to timing a 21 motherlode last week with a warrior but it required a talent swap after they completed the 2nd boss. They ended up missing the timer by about a minute.

From the arms standpoint Arms isn’t an outright favorite, but we’re plenty viable for your pickup groups and guild runs. Really any class is.

I’ve always enjoyed my M+ time from a performance perspective. If the trash is important then we have pretty good burst AoE from pull to pull and LoW was great. If it was tyrannical then at least we had good execute time and were viable for that part.

If you’re pushing keys and going for best times and such are you running a warrior? Probably not, but if that’s not you then don’t worry about it.

2 Likes

Yeah, of course, if you’re not pushing world first any class is gonna be viable; hell I think I saw a fury warrior in a few top 100 run leaderboards a few weeks ago. They offer great damage, they just fall behind on utility. Realistically, if utility isn’t an issue for your group for whatever reason you’re just as well off bringing a warrior as you are a rogue or DH.