Why bother with a server status page?

Your server status page is never accurate. Why?

How is not accurate today? Are you accounting for it reporting times in PDT?

3 Likes

Just the green “Server is up” when it is clearly not up

Its currently showing as offline: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/game/status/us

It’s entirely possible that your realm is up, but the authentication server is down. The net result being that the server status page accurately displays your server as being up, but it still being inaccessible.

8 Likes

They are showing as offline, perhaps your browser cached an inaccurate page?

Although often the login servers do go down first, so the server might have remained up for a small amount of time.

4 Likes

Maintenance is over - but as far as the realm page.

It only senses if the actual realms are up - not necessarily if they can be accessed at the moment.

Outside of maintenance, this is usually quite accurate. Maintenance can occur in a few ways - with the realms being both up - or down, but not accessible.

6 Likes

That would be a great note to go on that page, because it is a pretty fine distinction.

I’d argue that if it can’t be accessed, it isn’t up.

If everything is up and running, realms and login servers, and people are on the realms playing, then the login server goes down. The realm is still up, and the people that were logged are still logged in.

The people that are logged in would argue that the realm is up, even if you can’t access it at this precise moment.

If anything, I’d support adding the status of the authentication servers to the status page.

10 Likes

Schrödinger’s realm?

I’d agree, adding login/authentication servers to the realm status would be good.

I don’t think the deciding factor is the Authentication(login) servers. You are able to sign in to Battlenet and WoW and still not be able to access the realms. You can access the realm list even though they all show “offline”.

The online/offline is just showing if the server is up or not (off/on). They don’t show if the realm is accessible. If they included the authentication(login) servers, that could also show online and players could still not be able to log in.

There has to be a switch (phycial/virtual/both) that allows players to log in to the servers or stops them from accessing. Otherwise how could they take down specific servers for maintenance/connections without taking all the servers down?

So the point of a status page is to see if I can play. Why would I care if the realm is technically up if it’s still unavailable to log into?

That’s what you feel it is for. That’s not what it shows. If you feel it needs to be changed you need to post where the ones that handle it will see your feedback.

5 Likes