Why bother doing harder content?

Plastic Brow? Spastic Drow? Fantastic Sow? I must know!

6 Likes

Good point. Was certainly content build around the rewards. Limited time stuff is probably the most motivating. It’s probably why end of tier raid carries are so popular for the 100% drop on mounts.

1 Like

Heck, I’d be happy if I could find some progressive challenging casual content in BfA!

1 Like

Some people do it for fun and the challenge. Gear is just a means to an end because you get it as you go and you need it to push further and faster. Everyone enjoys the game in different ways.

Didn’t Pandaria had those? Didn’t people love them?

I guess the only point is if you have a group of people to play with, it’s more interesting to raid/M+ than doing emissaries.

All the people that are saying “for the challenge” are probably the ones that wouldn’t bother with them if gear wasn’t involved. If it was just the for the challenge they wouldn’t have had to add better loot there.

5 Likes

Ive been thinking the same thing this whole damn post. How long would this game live if there were no rewards at all?

2 Likes

The thing about mage tower is- consider how popular it is, from casuals to hardcore.

Was the reward better gear?

No, it wasn’t- yet so many people did it.

I’m going to be perfectly honest, I think if the reward for mage tower was just better stats on gear, it would have been LESS popular than being transmogs.

What does that tell you about what people actually want?

One of my favourite games is Dark Souls- and the further you go into NG+ the more challenging it gets. But, is there ‘better’ gear? No, there’s a few extra things as well as more souls from enemies, but you can easily make any BiS geared character without ever going to NG+.

So why would anyone ever go past NG, which is basically easy mode?

More chances at gear.

Better gear with better traits.

Different transmogs.

More interesting play.

Less time bleating on the forum.

I don’t think very long at all- while levels, gearing, etc… are kinda old at this point, they are still central to RPGs, and I think people do still like progression. I don’t think it needs to be hardcore and punishing like it used to be.

But- just look at basically all games- even without gearing, cosmetic rewards are huge.

If the game came out next xpac with no gear upgrades, that’d hurt WoW. But, if it came out with no new mount, pet, gear, weapon skins, no new races, toys, cool abilities, etc… I think the game would just die.

1 Like

But shouldnt people just play “to challenge themselves” as so many have stated? I think rewards are far more important to a lot of the people spewing that line then they like to let on.

2 Likes

If some people play just for the challenge then maybe the Jaina mount should drop on all difficulties and emissaries should scale to 415. I’m sure they wouldn’t mind.

1 Like

For fun? I enjoy the challenge myself.

There’s a difference though between having it so there’s no rewards for anyone- and having it so everyone can earn rewards.

The OP is asking why bother doing N/H Raiding for your rewards when you can get N raid level gear for not raiding. But you still get better rewards, faster, and more of them for doing the raids.

Basically- you don’t have to stifle someone else’s fun to have fun yourself, and you don’t have to play for only one thing.

Giving everyone options on how to get rewards, giving everyone chances of rewards, and still having better - albeit not by absurd amounts like it used to be- rewards for the top mythic guilds is fine.

When you have choice, you’ve a better chance of enjoying what you do, how you do it, and what you get. Being forced to do a single thing- like raid- means a lot of people may enjoy the reward… but they’ll hate the rest of it, and that just doesn’t make for a fun game.

1 Like

Because if you do not do them. You are stuck like my main at 388 for the last two months. it takes a very long time to get that high. Then add the gear is subpar and you have a nightmare. Do not even tries to min and max gear that does not coincide with each other. Do just world things/war front and no lfr, mythic or anything else. See how bad it can really be. One of my alt is actually stuck at 356 for 4 months. but I only play him every 3day.

While transmog is a legitimate reward that motivates many people, the designs still need to be something that people like. With the exception of Warfronts, most BfA gear looks absolutely terrible. Most of the Mage Tower appearances were fantastic, which is why so many people wanted them.

1 Like

Yeah, but the problem there isn’t people’s enjoyment of cosmetics- but the lackluster showing this xpac… which honestly I think is the case just in general, this xpac is on the whole not as good as Legion was.

edit- Which is kind of a shame, since the art department did do a great job on NPCs and other art assets… it’s mostly the stuff we’re getting that have been a bit shoddy.

I’ve killed 31 normal BoD bosses.

389 item level.

Only using 2 items from the raid.

Everything else is emissary/warfront/weekly (m0)/worldboss because its just better.

1 crafted item and 1 mythic+ (only a +2)

Where is my better, faster rewards for doing the raid?

I’ll chip away at heroic at some point, but I’ve already got 6 base item lvl 400 items for afkable content.

2 Likes

I had the same thoughts and posted a thread last week that had a lot of people echoing that. It’s disappointing when you want to keep playing but have no real incentives to do fun content.