Why are US players forced to have horrible lag to group with Oceanic realms?

I honestly am so sick of this. I was just grouped up in a random heroic island with 2 players from Jubei’Thos which is an Oceanic server. The absolute immediate lag was around 450ms-500ms while inside. I literally had to wait seconds for each ability to go off. How is this acceptable game play to force players based on two ends of the globe to play with each other when it gives the other player such intense lag the game is nearly unplayable? I don’t understand how this is acceptable game practice and is tolerated? I’m sick of it. It makes me absolute hate and avoid playing with Oceanic players at all costs because it turns my game play into an insane lagfest that is unplayable and not fun. Why is this the policy to force us into groups and instances with people when it fundamentally destroys our experience? Its not just “A little lag” its absolutely brutal and am sick of it. I need a concrete answer as to why blizzard thinks its okay and I should be having fun playing with people on the other end of the globe which forces my game into a red max lag situation of 400+ms. It’s not accecptable and needs to stop.

14 Likes

You’re right…people from Oceanic servers should always be the ones with the lag right? Or, maybe they should have to wait exponentially longer for groups…that’s more fair…right?

It’s okay because it’s fair to everyone. Sometimes players from those servers are linked to NA servers and vice versa.

All that said, the CS forums are not a feedback forum. If you have a constructive suggestion to make, you’ll want to use the General forums.

17 Likes

I’ve been noticing this a lot more often as well. It makes it incredibly hard to heal, and it’s gotten to where I can’t really do M+ with oceanic realms =/.

I don’t remember it being this bad before…it never really affected me, but now it’s incredibly noticeable, and it really does affect me when I’m healing, and sometimes when I’m DPSing, but moreso when I heal.

3 Likes

Group with players from other NA servers. No ones forcing you to group with OcE players, and if you take the lottery of the queue system, you leave it to random selection.

7 Likes

We literally dealt with this for many years (even with 56k dial up net as well) for 40 main raiding to 5 man dugeons and everything in between.
Its not as bad as you whingers make it out to be
Get over it

7 Likes

If we’re talking about random matchmaking you are stuck with what you get

If we’re talking about raid/M+ premades then either you pick people as a group leader or you leave the group when the group leader invites people from OCE/SA realms with likely poor connections

Some poorly timed lag or dcs can easily kill a timer for most pug M+ runs so I don’t care if someone spouts “you’re discriminating” or some crap at me, when I can be in control of what happens to increase run success

3 Likes

lol have a sook Americans. We had to play like this for 10 years, 300ms feels like nothing to me now.

5 Likes

Back then Blizzard put effort into making the game mechanics possible with moderate lag. Now, they have critical game mechanics which require split second reactions that are difficult to impossible with moderate lag, like when MSS pops up with three monks already on the table.

2 Likes

I’ve never really had this issue. I’m on the west coast, and tend to play kinda late (11pm-2am) so I quite frequently end up in PUGs with Australian folks.

Sometimes, there’s no change at all in my normal 40-70ms latency. Other times, it spikes up to the 150s. It’s never been unplayable though, even for competitive content. I just two chested a 19 Freehold the other day with an Australian group and 150 ping. Probably my best run ever.

As a bonus, the Australians are funnier, friendlier, and much more chill than many of the US groups I’ve been in.

2 Likes

Same here West Coast and I play late at night and always get grouped with Oceanic players and South American players. While I do notice there is slight delay it doesn’t hinder my game play and I mainly heal. If you are experiencing severe lag it’s your ISP that cannot handle the long distance travel.

Solution to your problem stop grouping up randomly and get a group of people in your area.

To my Australian friends I’m glad your ping got lowered because its fun to play with you from America.

I raid casually with a US guild and I can do MSS perfectly each time with 200-250ms

I swear some US players are literal babies.

3 Likes

I never said that Oceanic players should be forced to deal with lag. Its not fair either way it goes. Also I don’t see how its our job to deal with terrible game play because there aren’t enough players on the Oceanic servers to have a full system by themselves. Why are we stuck with that burden? I wouldn’t mind if its a little lag but I’m talking most of the time its game altering levels of lag. That doesn’t solve anything for anyone. Great their queue wasn’t as long but now the other players in the group have multi second delays on their abilities and are now having a completely off/negative play experience. How is that a good solution? Again that breeds resentment towards players from oceanic servers because when you get randomly grouped up with one for a group it ruins your entire feel of the game. I’m sure its the same for them as well.

I just don’t understand the player base view that oh well sometimes that happens. How is that a good answer from a company who is telling me sometimes my gameplay experience will be awful because its forcing me to group with others from across the globe? Thats not a reasonable or acceptable line of logic.

I know many people and guilds that refuse to even invite someone from an oceanic server because the lag they bring with them is so bad. Why is that? It’s because it ruins the gameplay to play at those levels of lag. I know blizzard’s fan base is usually a bunch of yes men and refuse to ever point out valid criticism or problems but this just blows my mind that some of the replies are oh well just deal with it.

“Solution to your problem stop grouping up randomly and get a group of people in your area.” Just that logic alone is terrible game design and practice. I’m being told that players from servers I’m grouped with should be actively avoided if I want to play the game at anywhere near a state of being responsive or unlaggy. Don’t get me wrong I don’t have any issues with the playerbase or who they are. It could be fellow americans and I would still be unhappy with it because its giving me such incredibly lag. I run 10-12ms on my server, when I get put into a random group for islands or whatever with oceanic servers, we are talking like 350+ Usually 400-500ms. That is nearly unplayable and I don’t understand the “get over it” mentality.

4 Likes

Try it with 450-500ms lag as the original poster specified.

1 Like

Right because not being happy with seconds long delay in a game especially in some areas of the game or certain classes/specs is just us crying because it completely changes how you have to play and causes lots of mistakes…:roll_eyes: heaven forbid we aren’t happy with having tons of lag being randomly forced on us and being told to take it and shut up.

2 Likes

If you are getting that much lag, it is more of a you problem.

Australia has one of the worst internet speeds in the developed world thanks to the Liberal Party and their Fiber to the Node crap. And yet I rarely see my ms raise above 250 whenever i’m grouped with US players.

Again, the original poster mentioned 450-500ms lag. If that’s not what you get, good for you, but it sounds like you have nothing to contribute relevant to the thread.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t really call 450-500ms “moderate lag” like you mentioned in your post. Which was what I was responding to.

Keep moving those goal posts

And like I said, if you are getting 450-500ms when getting put with OCE players, sounds like your internet is crap regardless.

For US/Australia, 500ms is moderate lag. Below 250ms is only about 3x the speed of light minimum, which is quite good and would have to be characterized as no to minimal lag.

Also worth mentioning that a large swath of the US also has crappy internet and no alternative. I might have to stop raiding once I’m done moving back out to the boonies because last time I lived there the connection speed was total garbage and cut out frequently.

We joke sometimes that Comcast is the real raid boss, but it’s not far from the truth.

2 Likes

East-coast AU -> US on a good connection is around ~200ms. All Australian ISPs invest in clean AU -> US routing, because so much of the content we consume is hosted overseas.

If you’re hitting ~500ms in either direction, it means your ISP is routing your traffic horribly. Most customers don’t really care about having a clean route to AU hosting; how many sites / services do you regularly visit that are hosted in AU?

Sucks that WoW is one of them. Too bad. Don’t join OCE groups.

3 Likes