Why are the servers so laggy

For months now almost every Tuesday we have all kinds of lag happening in Boralus, happens other days as well but is worse on Tuesday. I have been putting in bug reports as requested for over 6 months but nothing changes, if anything it is getting worse and more widespread.

The Vale today people commenting almost constantly on general chat about the lag.

The game was never this bad before this expansion. Did everyone playing PvE get shunted to the worst servers so warmode could have the best ones? I really don’t understand why this is still a problem.

12 Likes

I just had to Alt-F4 the game trying to leave the Vale. My latency is low but I’m getting 5-15 second delays on every key push. It’s unplayable. Couldn’t loot, couldn’t fight, couldn’t do anything. Tried to hearth out and it just cycled endlessly. Finally just forced shutdown the game. Asked in zone chat, got a lot of “same” replies.

6 Likes

you don’t recall the severe lag spikes while sitting around doing nothing in Dal during Wrath?

…or the massive load screen hangs/lockups loading into Dal during Legion?

2 Likes

Maybe all the people complaining about lag have the same crappy ISP.

No I don’t remember that in Wrath and that loading screen business really wasn’t as disruptive to play in legion nor lasted as long from what I recall. Once you were in the game you could play.

Ion said months ago this was top priority in one of his interviews and that we should be putting in bug reports when it happens, server time, character, server and location. I have been doing that but when it keeps on happening it seems either they are unable or unwilling to fix this.

I am not buying another expansion if the servers are going to be so bad as this one.

Glad it’s Boralis today.

Nazmir killed me over the weekend…well not me, but my toon. It was the first time all expansion I muted Bwonsomdi after a death and just didn’t want to hear it.

Agreed. My latency shows as normal but graphic lag is horrendous. There’s a 2-3 second delay on any movement including casting.

4 Likes

Funny how that ISP only causes lag in that zone and no where else, eh?

2 Likes

I’m just saying that I am miraculously immune to 99.99% of reported “server lag.” I lag when my ISP breaks down. However, there was that time when WoD launched with inadequate server capacity. It was nightmarish.

Been posting about this in the NA tech support thread on this subject for well over a year. Blizzard has done nothing except one small attempt at a hotfix which only mitigated the issue for about a week during 8.2.

Small indie studio, clearly.

3 Likes

It’s more likely they don’t share the same ISP. I’m playing from Aus on a US server. It is highly unlikely there are more Aussies than Americans playing let alone using the same ISP.

1 Like

surprised nobody’s said anything as to the cause of the lag or I just glanced over the responses; It’s people pulling Shek’zara. (the world bosses)

there’s literally 39 other people + being pulled over and attacking the world boss from groupfinder

90% of these are caused by more than one 25-person raid group or a couple multiboxers being in the area.

But I’m getting the same lag in Tirigarde Sound as well. Unless it’s the world boss there too causing issues.

2 Likes

Yup. I was killing world boss and watching. Both world and local latency 26ms and there was a 1 to 2 second delay from when I hit my ability to when I saw it happening.

might be the server; or you could have a big multiboxer out there doing herbs or something? I haven’t really had lag outside of vale myself

blizzard really should upgrade their servers but is the lag input delay or MS?

Yes, for the last few Tuesday I have been having problems sending mail in Boralus. I will hit send and it just hangs there until I close it off and re try it.

1 Like

then you have a short memory.
you can’t state that it wasn’t as disruptive, or wasn’t this bad, when people needed to relog to access their characters.

that’s not how things work.
you are not connected directly from your isp to blizzard.
you have to go through other isps to get to the servers.

The issue crops up in varying degrees in any zones that are current. Vale is only exacerbated by the world boss; she is not the source.

It’s been happening on various servers all expansion for both NA and Oceanic. Many people experience it, many don’t; it could be tied to specific datacenters.

You aren’t being helpful. I don’t care what it was like other expansions. At no point in time did I feel it was bad enough to quit playing but a lot of days it is now.