Why are the Pantheon of Death so damn weak?

The cosmic forces are supposed to be equal in power, and the Eternal Ones are supposed to be analogous to the Void Lords, but they honestly seem even weaker than the Old Gods. We beat Denthrius without any outside help, and Kyrestia almost got killed by Anduin.

2 Likes

We don’t know if they are supposed to be analogous to the Void Lords since we don’t know what the Void Lords are!

As for being weaker than Titans: the description for The Last Titan indicates that there is something going on with the Titans we know nothing of so them being the Souls of Worlds might not be their intended state in which case Argus and Aggramar is what one should expect from these Pantheon Members at their usual strength when not merged with Planets.

Theoretically, if the Winter Queen is any indication, it may be because a great deal - perhaps even the vast majority - of the Eternal Ones’ power is invested at all times in the preservation of their respective domains, while the titans have their full might at their disposal and don’t have to spread their power across all of the worlds they Reorder throughout the Great Dark in order to keep them Reordered because they use the native materials and power sources on hand to construct localized systems that keep things going after they leave.

So they might theoretically be able to exert far more power, but to do so would mean withdrawing it from the domains under their care and allowing those places to wither and fall apart, compromising the Shadowlands as a whole. Even in spite of his betrayal of the others, Denathrius still seems to be invested in Death, so he wouldn’t want to just destroy Revendreth in order to trounce a raid group; it was made fairly apparent that he didn’t just kill Renethal and the other rebel venthyr either of the times they failed to attack him because he saw them as misguided and wanted them to eventually come around to his way of seeing things.

Even Zovaal had a lot of his own power - both stolen anima and once he regained his sigil - divested into maintaining the Mawsworn army (itself said to rival the Legion in size) and when players fought him he was engaged in accessing the mechanisms of the Sepulcher of the First Ones, which likely further occupied his energies.

4 Likes

cause its shadowlands lore
turn your brain off

3 Likes

I can’t imagine a more boring cosmology than six perfectly mirrored pantheons.

6 Likes

I do find it hilarious that Zovaal was advertised as this “Titan+++” villain… and yet he was super boring and weak comparatively. Argus was the first time we got to actually face off against a Titan… and he was super weakened by Sargeras siphoning his power to rez demons AND the other Titans were helping us.

The Jailer? Nah, we just go in and body him like it was nothing.

3 Likes

Anima.

Shortage.

Which is no longer a problem

2 Likes

Haven’t really checked in to see how they’re doing since it stopped being a problem so… We don’t know how strong or weak they are right now.

Why would the Anima shortage affect Denathrius? He was the one causing it. I don’t think he was starving himself

3 Likes

Just saying we fixed the anima shortage is all. But I’m sure the Eternal Ones are doing just fine now, well, better now that we fixed things anyway :wolf:

1 Like

Indeed. My point was, their weakness likely largely stemmed from the Anima Shortage. We only really interacted with them during that period of time.

Because we’re Champions… and that’s not just a title, it means we’re movers and shakers on a Moorcockian level. We’re Champions the way the word is used in the Eternal Champion series. That’s why Anduin sends YOU isntead of an army to aid Tyrande… you’re worth that much more.

1 Like

Im sure Odyn can 1v1 Zooval (without the five sigils at least)

Blizzard has never been consistent with power levels.

Remember when the most powerful Naaru got a sloppy jobbing death by half-demon fel junkie? That made the Light, or at least the Naaru, look weaker than the Old Gods.

Us being able to kill Denathrius was a stretch. One I think is often overlooked because he was such an entertaining character.

There was a reason Anduin was able to nearly kill the Archon. Anduin was possessed by the Jailer at the time, so it was the Jailer - another Enteral One - who attacked the Archon through Anduin.

True. Argus was an unborn world soul forced to manifest after being tapped like a keg for millennia. Even after that, Argus the Unmaker still gave the player characters, the artifact weapons and the Titans a fierce fight. He actually kills our PCs and would’ve won the fight for Sargeras if Eonar hadn’t resurrected them.

Meanwhile the Jailer, at the height of his power, was an easier boss fight (not even counting the help we get from Azeroth’s world-soul).

The Archon was caught by surprise. And for the Jailer we had direct help from Azeroth. You are making this too easy.

Because Shadowlands isn’t real. It was a hallucination your character went through after eating an extra spicy Altreac burrito.

3 Likes

And, as I said, Anduin was possessed by the Jailer then, so it was technically the Jailer attacking the Archon.

That shows her arrogance and ignorance.

If you watch that cinematic- she just lets Anduin waltz up to her because that one Kyrian broad, Ms Cleo or Claya or whatever, mentions Anduin is a king.

It shows a weakness in the Archon that just some random broad talking about a random king gets her beat down to the ground.

1 Like

Yet somehow that seems to be what people (especially the reddit crowd) want. I can’t wrap my head around it.

1 Like