Why are so many people happy that people will be upset with locked covenants?

I’ll admit it I did not read your post because on a mobile device it looks like a thiese…

But to answer the question in title some people like to watch it all burn down…

That goes both ways. If I play a game and I find something that doesn’t interest me and locks me in… but others like it… those people are doing that. It’s the Dev’s direction and you are approaching it and realizing ‘‘hey this isn’t for me’’.

Locked covenants absolutely aren’t for me assuming there is going to be massive disparities between them for different areas of the game. You never have to be locked into a covenant you don’t want to use if you are able to switch them without much restriction. On the other hand, you are locked into a covenant you don’t want to use if you can’t. And there will be different covenants you will want to use in different situations.

The option to choose does not mean you HAVE to choose, but not having the option to choose means you CANNOT choose.

1 Like

Y’all are a hoot. Just an absolute hoot.

The game was created by raiders. The game was created by raiders who were top players in an even harder and more tedious MMO. It was made to be more accessible but it was never going to not focus on the top end.

It wasn’t “hijacked” by anyone. The casual players who came along, like yourself and myself, benefited from that accessibility. We were always playing a raiders game with a casual buffet. Don’t pretend like this was meant to be an ultra casual solo-rpg with online social engagement; it was never meant to be that, that was just meant to be a small part of it.

So stop paying for it if you feel you’re not being represented. I’ve done that multiple times throughout the games history. I’m still here, but that doesn’t mean I’m always here; it doesn’t mean I keep paying them when the content goes a way I don’t enjoy.

If you don’t like the content that’s available to you, and they don’t show an inclination to change, then it’s entirely on you for still being here. Just like it’s entirely on me for still being here if I’m unhappy.

Yeah… that’s not healthy. Or, at least, if you’re genuinely relishing in their suffering it’s not healthy. A little schadenfreude is always fun but not something to actively relish in too much.

Personally, as a casual, I think the covenant system is a god damn dumpster fire. The idea that “aesthetic,” “story,” and “power,” are intertwined like this is a legitimate joke in my eyes. This isn’t a choice about what you like, it’s a choice about what you want; fun or power. It’s the same choice that casuals are always complaining about when it comes to “tHe MeTa” and they don’t even see it.

“We” are not in agreement. I’m not a try-hard, I’m a casual. I think I’ve managed like a handful of heroic bosses when they were current. The majority of my time in WoW has been LFR, dungeons (M+ but generally below 10), and casual content.

Y’all are a hoot but you’re taking way too much pleasure from this.

Which, to this day, I maintain as being the opposite of player agency. Agency should empower the player to make choices about how they approach things; it shouldn’t restrict their choices. It’s not about how meaningful those choices are, it’s about having them in the first place.

5 Likes

Yet they are a dying breed and Blizzard certainly doesn’t want to lose there top tier players.

Nor any game / dev should for that matter, so in of itself that statement is contradictive.

3 Likes

The choice lays with the developers. If I dislike it and voice the concern and they don’t listen… and it affects me THAT MUCH i JUST go play something else.

1 Like

The problem is they think it only affects the 1 % .

What they don’t get is even your average player wants their bis and to min/max for the level of content they do . I know as a random bg lfr hero I want to maximize my potential and don’t want to be limited just because some body erping wants to see others suffer for their enjoyment.

7 Likes

I don’t think there a lot of players who are actually happy that top-end raiders will be punished by locked player power. I think there’s a few forum trolls who believe that, and their voices are very loud.

5 Likes

I think it’s great. Making a decision that is permanent and has meaning is great for character investment.

Aside from the character creation screen, everything in else in this game is essentially meaningless.

Im 100% on board for having to make a choice that matters.

6 Likes

Sure some people will let their favorite streamer, etc dictate how they feel about it.
however I believe most will be cool with it. They’ll have to know that it wont remain this way forever judging from other stuff from past expansions.

Believe in Blizz! I do because they are the absolute best and also fyi I am a content creator. Just casually putting that out there no reason.

1 Like

So am I. I am not convinced that choosing between sets of two abilities, some of which are clearly far better for certain specs and types of content (PVP, M+, raiding, etc.) than others is a choice that feels good.

2 Likes

Looks at BfA.

6 Likes

Ion confirmed that WoW is not a game about ultra high skillcap, there will always be non skill elements in your performance, ergo anyone who wants to compete in terms of skill should go to another game.

I don’t think they care honestly. If it even glances the top 1%, I think it’s a sacrifice they are willing to take.

Thats the point of making a choice…

You need to decide if you prioritize pvp, m+, raiding etc. If there was a “catch all” covenant there would be no point in having them at all

1 Like

ergo anyone who wants to play a RPG that restricts abilities because “meaningful choices” :crazy_face:

Should go play a Singleplayer RPG because that just doesn’t work in a MMORPG. Plain and simple. The idea of people thinking it will work, honestly baffles me.

I did look. I was an Alpha Tester. I was an alpha tester and one of my video’s from early alpha testing got over 50k views!! Because I am a content creator Blizzard! um… what where we talking about?

Being locked is only bad if there is minor differences between them or if one is straight up better than the other for every activity in the game.

The people who are happy about locked covenants aren’t going to be happy when they pick the wrong one and aren’t allowed in peoples pugs.

3 Likes

Except come 10.0 … that choice is removed and made meaningless.

Also, what if you are given 4 choices in how your character will be NEGATIVELY impacted. Would you consider that a good thing?

I think any rational minded person would not consider that a good system.

3 Likes