Why are portals being removed in 8.1.5?

Not even half as witty as you think it is.

Northrend Dalaran used to have portals to all the cities at once time.

I’m pretty sure they are doing it to piss people off and waste time.
Blizzard has no intention of modifying their plans. They’ve done things like this before despite backlash. They made up their minds already.

If they don’t remove all the old portals then nobody will use the crappier and less efficient new portal rooms and they won’t be able to justify the art and dev time they dumped in it.

Also just gonna leave this here since people have false memories on how portals worked in the past and keep claiming they are removed every expansion

Shattrath City: Portals removed in Cataclysm Prepatch 4.0.3

Northrend Dalaran: Portals removed in Cataclysm Prepatch 4.0.3. SW/ORG added back in in 4.1. Suspect this was to force people back into SW/ORG hubs

Cataclsym: just has cata portals, never changed.

Pandaria: most portals removed in 8.1 (BFA Tides of Vengeance, undocumented change). Soon in 8.1.5 more portals will be removed here. Apparently these portals did not cause the game to crash and die for 3 expansions but golly gee we have to delete them now.

Warlords of Draenor: Ashran has inconvenient portals. Never removed. Does not appear to be planned to remove them either

Legion Dalaran: About to be removed in 8.1.5.

4 Likes

Ok, so my point stands. That was a looooooong time ago. It isn’t business as usual for bliz to remove portals.

1 Like

And this is needed why? And time spent developing these changes is better spent in other places.

3 Likes

Weee oh weeee oh fanboy alert, fanboy alert.

2 Likes

If I recall correctly, Old Dalaran’s portals were removed at the introduction of MoP, and MoP’s portals were removed at the outset of Legion.

So, it does seem to be a current and continuing model.

Uh, no. The MoP portals were removed w/in the first few months of BFA.

3 Likes

Then be grateful you got another few years out of em.

Actually, I hate the way portals work now. Where before it was just a few seconds of loading, now, half the time it disconnects me or throws me out of the game, as well as takes several minutes. I say scrap all portals and just have npcs set in place to instantly transport you to where you want to go. Or start paying mages a small fee to portal you.

What? 5-10mins is a huge factor. The older I got the more I value my time.

1 Like

Because with all the huge, frustrating, massive problems with this expansion, blizzard feels like this is the most important thing to work on.

1 Like

5 to 10 minutes per account per week ? If you value your time that much you probably would be best off just not playing the game.

Because blizzard hates us and wants us to be miserable.

1 Like

Don’t worry. In the near future all the additional time you’re on taxis or stuck behind other time-gating can be spent playing one of Blizzard’s awesomely cool mobile games.

Time to upgrade that potato.

1 Like

Dev priorities.
They don’t have any other game issues to deal with at this time.

It adds up. If you waste about 10mins a week thats 70mins a week of time wasted. And thats just one toon I’m counting. With that in mind many people playing this game have jobs. If Blizz does an age poll on wow players I’d have to guess they would be 26-35 range. How many 26+ year olds have that much time to waste? I myself spend about 2 hours a day playing before work and take 3-6 hours to raid on weekends. So those little 10mins means I have less time to do what I want. And Blizz so far has catered to me and my play style so you telling me to quit is just silly since my play style is more likely to give them more money since I won’t spam through every dungeon and raid then unsub till the next one. My question is since this game is so big in term of xpacs and things to do in this game why would you want to handicap yourself and have less portals and means to travel around.

2 Likes

You don’t waste that much time per character though. It only adds a minute or two per character. Now it you are silly enough to take each character back and forth each day to a dungeon maybe but why in the world would you do that when you can just leave them at the dungeon entrance.

If you were taking them back and forth you already have been wasting a lot of time needlessly.

In any case, I don’t care - be unhappy if you want. Me I park my characters at the instance I am farming and it makes no difference, probably saves me time since the odd character I would have gone back and forth with, I no longer will.

To make the world seem ‘more busy’. On the PTR, NPC’s can actually be seen entering and exiting the portals and the portal room.

to make the world “more alive”. Or at least that’s what one blue said in the 5000+post before the other one made by another blue.