Why are portals being removed in 8.1.5?

The title pretty much says it all.

This includes every portal in Legion Dalaran with the exception of Stormwind/Orgrimmar, including the Caverns of Time, Karazhan and Dalaran Crater portals.

The full list of portals being removed can be found here: https://www.wowhead.com/news=290485/new-portal-rooms-in-patch-8-1-5

Whats the point in all of this?

12 Likes

new portal rooms in faction capitals

Edit: o wait that link says that. I guess you’re saying it’s unneeded regardless?

Theyve always removed the old capitals portals. They don’t want people in the current content still using the old hubs.

Edit: Well not “always” but its been pretty common in recent years.

2 Likes

Just to attach another pointless change for removing the old hub portals. Don’t mind the new ones, but removing the old ones is silly.

13 Likes

Because god forbid should every city actually have all of the same city portals and amenities for us to choose from.

14 Likes

I’m not the only one approaching this topic with common sense, that is good to know.

:+1:

2 Likes

They want it to take longer for you and your alts to travel everywhere. Because travel time on boats, zeppelins and on your flying mount is quality content!

If they thought there was a way to take away mounts entirely and force people to rp walk or swim to get everywhere, I’m sure they’d be on it. Surely enough people who never go anywhere in the world would support that.

“I just sit in queue, it wouldn’t bother me if they took away mounts. I always hated going from place to place anyway.”

17 Likes

Huh? But someone already said this.

I really don’t understand the approach of punishing players in this way.

I played BC and Wrath and returned in Legion. Been trying to farm old content to get what I didn’t the first time around. Sorry RL meant I didn’t play when these expacks we’re current but why make your game MORE time consuming?

Also yet more ways to make this game more confusing for the newbie. He looks up how to get to Hellfire and he’s gonna get fifty different answers from different patches… O right that’s cause Blizzard relies on external sources like wowhead to document their game. I have received official GM response linking me to wowhead. GMs weren’t linking to Thottbot. Lolz.

10 Likes

The game is dead so they have to make it more lively somehow, which is accomplished by adding a place where everyone have to go when traveling.

Not to mention the extra MAU/DAU from it.

4 Likes

There are already other threads on this - you could have just read them.

I really don’t think this was their intent. Some of those portals will be back because the dev really don’t have clue what people do in this game and it has now been pointed out why they are needed.

This is the honest and true reason for this, and everything else is just smoke and mirrors. The CM responses don’t hold up better than this, the apologist responses don’t either. The only real reason for doing this, in the face of 1000+ comments against it is it will pad the MAU numbers with minimal investment.

1 Like

I don’t believe this is the case because the time saving on these are minimal for how often people use them. Really adding 5-10 minutes a week to someone’s travel time for all characters in total is nothing considering they already have us traveling doing emissaries for 10 to 15 minutes daily on each character.

nerf bat must be swung until morale improves

3 Likes

OR you could not have clicked on this thread :wink: You already knew from the thread title what it was about…

4 Likes

What you said isn’t even sensible. There are blue posts in those other threads. If OP really wants to know why it makes sense to read those other threads.

1 Like

They are removing portals from all the old content, so if you’re in the old content, it will take longer to get around.

Also, the new portal rooms don’t have all of the portals that they’re removing, so it will take longer to get to the areas which aren’t included, like the Caverns of Time. And the MoP one puts me in Jade Forest, rather than the Shrine, so that adds flight time to get where I want to go, since the Jade Forest is farther east.

2 Likes

to make it more unpleasant to level your lowbies? idk

2 Likes

Huh? Examples please.

Cause they only JUST removed portals in Pandaria…and that was three xpacs ago. AFAIK, none of the WoD portals have been removed from Ashran or your Garrison.

So far the only ones that are being removed are in New Dal.

ETA: AFAIK the portals from the Cata zones still exist too. Now, I didn’t play BC and Wrath when it was current so I don’t know if there were additional portals to the other cities there. So if that’s what you’re talking about…ok…but that was a LONG time ago. Let’s not pretend that it’s BAU to remove portals after an xpac is done. Cause, nah bro.

2 Likes

WHOAH.

This is a NERF, New Dal are the portals I use ALL THE TIME (two ways to get there, when other ways are on cooldown.)

This characters CURRENT portals to Stormwind (an AH area)

1. BoreAllUS innkeeper hearthstone AND Hearth to BoreAllUs ring.

2. Dalaran hearthstone, DK gate (Portal to Dalaran right there, leads to a Stormwind Portal.)

3. old Dalran ring hearth (if I recall a stormwind portal is there, or maybe not?) Essentially, I never get this far since the 4 options above are never exhausted.

So it sounds like after the change, I’ll only be able to get to Stormwind from BoreAllUs, but not the additional ways?

Wait… this is an obvious cash grab for token purchasing for the AH MOUNT!

Dalaran Crater portal TOO?

Well, there goes bothering with the Love is in the Air content - outside of just queuing for the mount.

Seriously, WHAT ARE THEY THINKING?

Few things this expansion, as a “Casual Mainly Soling Scrub”, have seemed more like a SLAP IN THE FACE!

3 Likes