Why are people against graphical updates?

I understand #nochanges when it comes to gameplay. But why not make the game look visually better? For the life of me, I don’t get this.

Better graphics are just…better. If you have two versions of the same gameplay, 1 with worse graphics and 1 with better, why wouldn’t you want to play the one with better graphics, textures, lighting, etc.

Or just have a graphics option in the menu. Classic or improved graphics.

Thoughts?

22 Likes

Really? Subjective thing 1 is better than subjective thing 2? That’s fascinating. Tell me more about that.

45 Likes

Well, let’s think about it.

Would you enjoy WoW as much if each model was a total of 12 polygons? Clearly there is some point in which worse graphics detract from a game. The inverse is true too. There is a point where better graphics improve the game. For the sake of immersion and visual appeal.

1 Like

Actually that’s what they had in the demo.

But as far as I know they’ll be using old models, as they should. Now if there was a way to have both then sure, throw in a toggle. But from what I’ve heard there isn’t really a good way to make both old and new models work well with all the animations. And seeing as it’s Classic, priority needs to be given to old models.

23 Likes

If you took literally 60 seconds to search you would see this topic has already been asked.

Also, just because you think the graphics are better does not mean another does not.
Furthermore better graphics doesn’t make a game better.

29 Likes

Go ahead and tell me how age of empires and starcraft are crap game’s be cause of their graphics.
Same with kotor

20 Likes

I’m not saying they are crap. Not at all. Great games. But there is a reason remastered editions sell really well. Because expectations change, and people want to relive the story with improved graphics because it helps with immersion and revised graphical expectations that have come in the years in between.

6 Likes

Wow that’s very interesting. Please, I thirst for your overflowing brilliance. Tell me more about how these newer graphics are undeniably and objectively better.

Seriously though, some of my favorite video games have “bad graphics”. This applies to both old and new games; graphics do not make the game. And I do enjoy the old models. I actually wish they would use the original ogre models. Because, you know, graphics are in fact subjective.

And at the end of the day if you can’t appreciate Classic for what it was in 2006 then here’s a newsflash for you: Classic isn’t for you.

18 Likes

original thread I commend you.
edit to add: well looks like the thread did take off…

Be cause both the sc and aoe remasters have such great graphics by even modern standards.

Nope. And you know why I am all for remasters? Because it might get companies to realize what made a truly great game again and move away from what we’ve been doing of late

1 Like

I know right? 60 second search would have shown this being discussed.

That’s cool. But you misunderstand what WoW: Classic is. It’s not a remaster. it’s a re-release.

We can still play WarCraft 3. We cannot officially play vanilla WoW.

12 Likes

I’d be all for updated graphics if it was called WoW: Remastered. But it’s called WoW: Classic, meaning the original form. It’d be like listening to Bach with some dubstep added in. No.

11 Likes

To a lot of people, the older graphics have a certain charm to them, or feel more in spirit with the game. Myself, I will play regardless of whether the graphics are new or accurate to the original game.

3 Likes

aside from the fact that it is an as close to vanilla as possible and the graphics are meant to be the vanilla graphics, new models in an old game is jarring.

of course if you say “well then update ALL the graphics” .

to that i say i want it to be old vanilla and the devs agree obviously due to the fact they hired someone JUST FOR making the old graphics work with the client .

13 Likes

I’m no changes, but I would love a Reforged version like they are doing for Warcraft 3. I have no issues if they make a toggle. Warcraft 3 is looking awesome.

2 Likes

Sure. Just make sure classic is default. That way those who want to deal with new graphics and models can deal with all the issues the toggle had.

3 Likes

In an era where game companies are putting graphics above gameplay I beseech you to take this “better graphics equals better game” and cram it where the sun doesn’t shine.

26 Likes

We do want to play the game with better graphics.

That’s why we want BFA’s hideous graphics kept far, far away.

20 Likes

I wouldn’t mind updated models, I’d welcome it. I’d still play either way though.

In my humble opinion, the new models are better. Nostalgia is what makes people prefer the old ones. Also, I don’t find it very jarring to see my new model Orc or Human wearing the old gear at all. Perhaps if you sit there and really look at things to nitpick then yeah - it could be kind of jarring.

1 Like