Why are classic players against dungeon finder / dual spec?

I hope Biko is ok with you speaking about your relationship so openly!

I like Biko, he is frost and does good damage. I dont really have to tank things so much as stand next to them while they are snared from all the frost damage. Biko is a good mage.

This is important, though, IMO. By not offering the LFD/LFR tourist/story mode, I think Classic draws a higher percentage of players into real endgame content. Because they want to see it.

And to do that content, they can’t just log on and click a button. They have to develop at least a minimal level of competency, or nobody will want to group with them or have them on their team. And they have to be social. Classic requires that of them, or they don’t see the content. And when they do that, they tend to make friends and develop loyalty to a guild and have a richer experience. And they more often than not keep playing. That’s a core part of the design, and why I think it’s superior to retail.

I think the existence of LFD/LFR is a primary reason for the boom and bust cycle of retail that occurs with each expansion and major content patch. Because I think the majority of players never make it past the LFD/LFR part, and since they’ve already seen the content after that, they quickly get bored and quit.

I don’t know the statistics, but I would be willing to bet that Classic’s player retention rate is far higher than retail’s. And it’s a sign of its superior game design, IMO.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t mind the dungeon finder for leveling dungeons.

People are confusing a couple of things, it’s not the LFG that was the problem, but the fact it was cross-realm, so it destroyed a good chunk of the server communities.

If you had a tool like the group finder in retail without match making that would be server only and you would still have to travel, that would be very acceptable because spamming a chat channel is annoying af.

Why do you people insist on dungeon finder when we already get the looking for group tool? Dungeon finder tool is godawful, I’m hoping after everyone gets used to the looking for group tool they simply dont ever re-introduce the dungeon finder tool.

This is exactly how I form groups.

People are only against LFD because it cuts into their boosting profits and doesn’t allow them to filter out the non-power gamers. LFD segregated by server actually allows players to meet other people that they may never interact with naturally. This is similar to how people forged bonds with others in BGs during Vanilla WoW.

heh… been to org or sw in the past 2yrs?

Many of us where there when dungeon finder was introduced, and I remember seeing the game go to hell before my eyes. It paved the way for the atomization of the community, the stupidity of gear score, the emptying of the game world, and the further simplification/linearization of dungeons.

How did it do this? I don’t know, go hire a sociologist to write a paper on it lol. But I do know what the results of dungeon finder are based on personal experience. I know this the same way a kid knows not to put his hand on a hot stove if he’s been burned before. Experience is the best teacher.

I also don’t buy the argument that dungeon finder is a solution to boosts. Boosts are their own problem (if you even consider them a problem that needs to be addressed). If Blizzard felt the need to address boosting, they could easily change how group XP works. Dungeon finder is not a solution to boosts, it would just be adding another degenerate gameplay system into the game.

It’s akin to the argument that we need a cash shop and tokens because of bots. Instead of addressing the complaint (bots) you’re just using them as an excuse to argue for your latest retail feature to be jammed into the game.

I’m not a nochanger by any means, but let’s be real…dungeon finder is not a small “somechange” that simply addresses a bug or oversight. It’s not comparable to the pally seal changes or something like that. It’s a big change that would get us halfway to the retail game just because you’re too lazy or lack the social skills to find a dungeon group in a social MMO.

1 Like

people are against it because it’s dumb

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.