Why are casuals paying for the 1% forced ‘Raid or die’ in shadowlands?

I ve been playing Swtor lately and damn, being able to progress your gear to max ilvl by just doing random bgs or other solo que activities the majority of the player base enjoys instead on being forced into tryhard ranked/mythic is such a breath of fresh area which made me realize one thing.

The majority of the players don’t do mythic or arenas, people don’t like forced group content and the majority always preferred solo ques in mmorpgs.
It is a fact that tryhard ‘competitive’ content is not popular in any mmorpg player base yet devs always spend a ton of time around that, locking rewards behind those to force it on players and of course wasting an enormous amount of time balancing just for the sake of tryhard content instead of creating fun unbalanced classes.

So the question is why are the casuals who are the majority are paying for content only the 1% gives a damn about?

Why aren’t the devs focusing on improving the solo experience and making fun activities you can solo que for instead of trying to force tryhard content on everyone’s throat with shadowlands raid or die mentality or rated arena for pvp?

220 Likes

You cannot escalate value above others without exclusion.

You cannot have a competition without loosers.

You cannot pretend to have a challenge without gear.

58 Likes

What? The “1%” you’re referring only applies to mythic raids and 2400+ arenas so how is that the majority of the content?

The majority of the content is LFR-Heroic level raids and mythic+ dungeons. Which is what the majority of the player base does. So what’s your point again?

116 Likes

I have a spanner and engineering. I’m a tightener.

I’m looking forward to the tower.

36 Likes

torgast is solo.

no content is forced. my partner only plays to collect pets. he doesn’t need any gear for that nor does he care about that.

17 Likes

Oww.

Seriously, did not expect that.

1 Like

Stop biting people.

15 Likes

[Removed]

We just want to have fun with decent gear and a good experience but instead of that even if you want to casually pvp blizzard forces raids or rated arenas because they lock gear behind tryhard content unless you enjoy having half the health of mythic raiders and get one shorted

The endgame is neither mythic or rated arenas for the majority of the player base and you rly need to accept that.

48 Likes

Why can’t you just play the game you find most enjoyable?

Why must you try to make every mmo be the same?

If you don’t like the way WoW does gear progression, why can’t you just quit?

37 Likes

That was a low blow man, low blow.

It’s THIS marks ground, runs to other side of zone, marks ground again big!

6 Likes

you’re playing the wrong game

and u rly need to accept that

34 Likes

lol Ralph, you combined two of your other threads “something another everyone should be able to get max gear” and “something another delayed for the 1%”

6 Likes

I know, I know I’m responding to an obvious troll comment, but what can I say, I just like feeding them x3

First, it’s an MMORPG. Meaning, Massively Multiplayer. It is not “MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF SOLO CONTENT FOR YOU TO ONLY EVER DO SOLO WITH NO INTERACTION WITH ANYONE ELSE EVER, Online roleplaying game.” The premise of this game is based on multiplayer experiences.

I run around solo a lot in this game, I que a lot of things solo, and I understand why the biggest and best rewards are hidden behind ‘hardcore’ ‘big group’ content. It’s the endgame. Literally the only thing people can work towards anymore. What is the point of adding more solo stuff to a multiplayer game? I already despise questing because its so repetitive and there is little to be done about that.

Now if you argued on the basis of, focus less on the endgame and more along the lines of things like. “Hey why don’t we implement ACTUAL PLAYER HOUSING” That would be a cool thing to strive for both as a solo and group thing. Guild Housing, more cosmetic options to hunt down, more mounts, etc.

You say this generic “Improve the solo experience and making fun activities.” But you never specify what these are, I’m assuming solo quests or things like Visions of N’zoth, but you forget, its a large multiplayer game, its not meant to cater to individuals, but the masses.

8 Likes

You know you’re early in a Ralph thread when it isn’t even buried yet.

14 Likes

I don’t know if I’d agree with this. Neither of us can speak for the majority but I’d say most players do care about epeen contests and tryharding for logs but only for the content they do Normal raid tryharding, heroic raid tryharding, M+2 tryharding :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Four possibilities:

1. Raid sales/carries = token sales = Activision $$$.
  2. Ion is a raider. He thinks the game is only about raiding. The devs need to justify their time/effort/money spent into raiding development when nearly no one does it. This is why LFR was added(source: Ghostcrawler).
  3. Bad design philosophies. The leadership thinks WoW = raiding game when it never, ever was. WoW was a game for casuals that a tiny small minority raided in. They think they’re creating the game the most people want, but in reality they’re creating a game for an incredibly small niche and neglecting 95% of their player base.
  4. Esports guy calling the shots. They force you to do arenas/M+/Raids for gearing because those are the 3 big “Esports” of WoW. They think this is an esports game and want everyone “interacting” with the esports parts of the game.
37 Likes

Don’t look now, but…

I totally agree like i enjoy the game for what it is i collect mounts and toys and achievement hunt. My wife on the other hand is going for that 1% raider spot to get CE. I remember two nights ago she was at her boyfriends house all night just leveling new characters for Shadowlands to fit her guilds raid comp. It gets really intense

6 Likes

When the majority of players just solo que and never bother interacting with social and community aspects of a game you should be getting a giant hint about what the player base actually wants.

Aka not to force those social and forced group aspects on everyone else no gear progress for you

9 Likes

Got in literal seconds before it happened.

Feel like Indiana Jones, diving out just before the door closes.

1 Like