Why are Blood Elves horde?

The jist is, after Quel 'Thalas elves supported the Alliance in many of their battles, when it came to Alliance turn to help the elves, Alliance flaked.

So they found new allies.

5 Likes

This is all warcraft three the frozen throne lore, currently my son is playing through reign of chaos. The story line was remarkable in games pre WoW.

Why would the Night Elves choose to fight alongside the Orc after the death of Cenarius? Didn’t the Night Elves fight far greater threats than any other race of Azeroth? How would it even be possible for Orcs or Humans to fight against the Night Elves given the disparity of power?

How is it possible for Arthas to try to fight Illidan? That’s like a child trying to fight against a 10 thousand year old super monkey.

The Warden flat out betrays the Night Elves and their queen. Why would anyone trust her from then on? Why would the Night Elves choose to help her at all?

Then you have Sylvanas. Arthas is going to sit on the throne and let Slyvanas hold Lordaeron… because… No wait, that’s WoW’s lore. Warcraft 3 just laid stones for that to happen, without really explaining any of it.

The lore of Warcraft 3 is… bizarre… It’s just flat out bizarre.

3 Likes
3 Likes

This. Bad writing indeed.

3 Likes

What really bugs me about Warcraft 3 is how Blizzard threw all Logic out the window in a desperate attempt to make the bad guys good and the good guys bad. Moral ambiguity works great in ESO because their universe was set up that way: there is no good or evil sides. That does not work in the Warcraft universe!

2 Likes

what does Lordaeron have to do with the stormwind/dalaran alliance. Even if you look further the blood elves were working with Night Elves as well and Illidan. Nothing showed they would join the horde.

4 Likes

I guess bad writing play’s into it, but pretty much. After Wc3, Those that didn’t want to get genocided. Went with Kael to the dark portal, and some stayed behind, in ghostlands and jazz, and reclaimed there city from the Scourge, but the “New” alliance, you could say didn’t trust the Blood elves for ??? Reasons, and tried to plot against them. (This is shown, during the starter zone as a blood elf, as is the PC going to Thrall swearing loyalty to the horde or something.)

Pretty much, the alliance are ironically HORRIBLE at diplomacy. From what i’ve read, the same thing happend to the other magic purple elves. in Legion, alliance just ain’t good at it.

for some reason the people who wrote WC3 wrote orcs like humans and humans like orcs.

8 Likes

makes zero sense since Tyrande and Malfurion are from suramar the city where the nightborne are from and the Moon Guard is at the border of that city and the Night Elves already accepted cousins of the Nightborne into the Alliance in cataclysm when we got night elf mages.

1 Like

Yeah, I feel you there. I feel like they just lost themselves in that concept with all of their IPs.

1 Like

Thrall was inspired, Caesar From Planet of the apes. If i recall, and not so much it explains human nature well, for example look at real humans without a world ending threat etc. We are dived by nature itself. Much like the Old Human kingdoms in Wc2 / Wc3.

As for Tyrande, Again she’s a horrible Diplomat, She also HATES magic users. See her dialogue with all blood elf NPCS in general, or magic users. I don’t understand why The alliance sent her in general.

WC2 was really hype. I remember playing WC3 and thinking where are the bad orcs? Why are they acting like emos? Where are the human paladins fighting orc death knights and deamons. Why are high elves and humans not getting along when they were strong allies? Where is the Alliance vs horde of warcraft?

6 Likes

That is why the nightborne didnt joined the Alliance

and blizzard went full circle in Cataclysm and returned orcs to their wc2 deamon summoning roots with genocide.

1 Like

Sure is a shame, so much story plots could of gone better.

lol what?

Have any of you even played a Warcaft game? The story was super simplistic in both the first two games; it literally amounted to picking either Orc or Human and destroying one an another. It wasn’t complicated at all. The story was given to the player in the form of Mission Briefings, and while it was pretty clear: Orcs = Bad and Humans = Good, it wasn’t anything I’d call ‘logical’, at least in comparison to warcraft 3.

The third game added character to the Orc faction, that doesn’t somehow equate to ‘throwing logic out the window’ or somehow making moral ambiguity impossible in the warcraft universe. And why is it a problem for the Orcs to be good exactly? Care to elaborate or at least, make a point?

I wish you MMO children would just stop trying to ruin something you don’t understand.

And to answer the original poster: “Because they can”. It had something to do with wanting a pretty race horde side to balance out the factions or something. While I disagree with it personally, it never bothered me that much. In the original games (WC 1/2/3) when you played multiplayer, you could ally along side any faction/race that you wanted too, thus, I don’t see this as some “bad writing”.

5 Likes

Forget the blood elfs and alliance, i’m still salty over what they did to Kael’thas in BC.

He deserved better man.

5 Likes

Because horde needed a ‘pretty race’ due to koreans saying ‘you don’t play as monsters, you slay them.’. This is according to John Staats WoW book that he wrote.

He also had an AMA where there was a poll from Asians saying they wanted a pretty race over here: https://www.reddit.com/r/classicwow/comments/9fb2bo/john_staats_ama_author_of_the_world_of_warcraft/e5v3p5t/?context=3

4 Likes

Forget all this nonsense about pretty races. Go play Warcraft 3. The long and short of it is the Alliance commander sent to help them was racist against them, add to that there homeland had just been ravaged by Prince Arthas. Cut off from the Sunwell suffering magic withdrawal, Illidan and his Naga allies offered them help this isolated them from the alliance. Enter Salvanis Windrunner there former High ranger-general now undead who threw in with the horde. She offered protection under the horde, they reluctantly accepted. This is the lore behind it. Also, most highelfs not in the area of Quel’Thalas during the scourge invasion never joined the blood elves but as that was there capitol most of them did.

2 Likes