Why all the complaints about Monks?

Have any of you even been on the PTR or beta? Monks are absolute monsters in duels and 3v3/2v2 right now. Super useful in mythic+ and are ranged mid-tier for dps in raid content, are you all complaining just cuz other people are?

6 Likes

Mainly because they are bug ridden and their abilities don’t work like they should

Beyond that, “mid tier” in raids might as well be a sim at this point because it’s so hard for them to even get a spot

The debuff they bring is usually brought by a brew or mw and there are a half dozen melee classes that do more dmg or bring more utility

They’re good in PvP so if that’s all you’re looking at I guess they may seem fine to you

3 Likes

What the other guy said. Currently over 50 bugs with abilities and talents not working correctly

3 Likes

bugs bugs and bugs. a talent tree that hasnt seen an interation pass on it on over 4 years.

and storm earth and fire is the biggest trash fire in this game. they need to revert it back to MOP/WOD or delete it. preferably delete it.

the irony is that we might actually be a working and competitive spec if our abilities worked properly and werent bugged.

even blizzard themselves have said things like fort>karma and purposefully trying to eat damage for the dps is degenerate gameplay, and even doing that you are the third worst dps spec in the game. yet they do nothing about it.

our talent tree is essentially dead. and we dont have the sustainability, defensives, or high enough damage output to offset the lack of raid utility we bring. when at most a raid team can bring 6 melee, and you have DHs, rogues and warriors in the mix. the trashboat specs like WW, feral, sub, ret, enhance all sit out. but at least feral has BR, ret has BOP/auras and an immunity to eat mechanics, enhance has heroism/bloodlust. hell even survival has an immunity to soak mechanics. windwalkers bring… nothing a brewmaster isnt already doing. we bring nothing to the table except the third worst dps in the game.

why bring a windwalker when you can bring another rogue or DH?

12 Likes

You’re making a bit obvious you don’t play a monk. To answer your question, yes most of the more active posters here are indeed in Beta, considering we’ve discussed bugs we’ve found individually with one another.

Most people aren’t complaining about Monk in PVP, arguably the class is tuned a bit too high in PVP for the kit, but it’s hard to balance both sides. Keys they do alright. Raids they play like crap.

I’m assuming you looked at a ranking list and saw Windwalker sitting mid-tier, that’s in perfect circumstances which almost never occur. Also, keep in mind to track when those ranking were updated Wowmeta (the most popular ranker) hasn’t updated since September 5th, Windwalker has received a few nerfs since then, most notably their only contending legendary choice.

Secondly, just because a class is doing well numbers-wise, doesn’t mean the core of the class doesn’t have issues. Windwalker has been riddled with bugs for years, every time they add an ability it doesn’t work with Storm Earth & Fire correctly (is currently happening on beta). The base gameplay is both droll, feels clunky, and causes issues (fists of fury kills leaving you in combat for indeterminate amounts of time for example).

Mistweaver is also buggy, we’re capable of keeping up with other healers in raids strictly due to a bug with a covenant ability. If that gets fixed, we’re going to be worthless as a raid or single target healer in comparison to the other healer choices. If it doesn’t get fixed we’re going to outperform every other healer in stacking encounters (most of Nathria involves stacking).

Please, next time you feel the need to comment on the consensus of the community, either do it on a character showing you actually play in the community you’re criticizing, or keep it to yourself.

10 Likes

Posting on a level 10 alt… yeah that’s not transparent at all…

3 Likes

Monks success in pvp on the beta seems to be tied exclusively to the venthyr covenant ability, if the damage on that gets toned down at all they are going to be in a terrible spot.

7 Likes

Their base toolkit will remain strong and keep them at the edge of the meta even without Venthyr being op

PvP is not the problem

1 Like

I love my MW more than any other healer in dungeons and raids. While there are valid critiques, thoughtful suggestions, and reported bugs, I would caution people to stay away from the forums. For the majority of people doing heroic raiding and mid-level keys monk will be fine or even above average. The forum doom and gloomers would have you believe it’s broken beyond redemption despite any and all evidence to the contrary. Even on beta with all its bugs, it’s still performing well in raids and dungeons from what I’ve seen.

3 Likes

Monks scaling is messed up, wait til the end of the 9.0 and they will be at the bottom again.

It seems to be a cycle, oh look monks are decent at the beginning of a patch lets not do anything, Oh look everything else got gear and now monks are at the bottom.

4 Likes

I see you have never been out healed by a hpriests echo before lol.

All I hear is this

https://youtu.be/kuMV6OdcwxY

I would bring a warrior over a rogue for that sweet commanding. But yeah op basically this.

@op Numbers aren’t quite the issue, they don’t feel good for sure, but the extreme lack of any real raid utility and the bugs are were the biggest problems lie.

I’ve consistently outhealed and outdamaged holy priests playing on their mains who had better gear than me (monk is an alt for me, and I rarely get to heal with my guild because they need DPS more, so these holy priests also have more raid healing experience than me).

TLDR version of monk issues , at least when it comes to Windwalker

Broken/bugged abilities that have existed since Legion
Scaling is almost non existant and no seconadary stats have synergy with with the spec (like DHs getting resource refund on crit, frost DKs getting pillar CD reduction on crits or haste improving auto attack swings to increase runic power rate)

1 Like

Haste decreases the cd on rsk and fof. The problem is we can’t do that too much or else can’t use wdp.

Also our vers is multiplicative, while everyone else is only additional.

So the only problem is bug and scale for ww

Crappy playstyle, not even a monk anymore just another basic melee nothing special about monk anymore. Almost as bland a ret.

4 Likes

Idk about the bad playstyle part. I’m having fun on the beta playing WW. It feels fluid still. If you don’t use SEF the whole thing feels great lol. But I also like WDP playstyle quite a bit.

It will obviously feel bad when your in a raid and the other dps are blowing past you in numbers. This will feel bad. But you never know! Balance could be exceptionally great this tier. (mega doubts)

Seriously Blizzard just delete SEF. If they would delete SEF I think half of the WW bugs would go with it.

1 Like

i actually really like how using serenity with VoP and ineffable truth felt. Wish it had been stronger

mid-tier dps as a melee might as well be last place, and mistweaver will be last place -again-

1 Like

You know, it’s funny you say that.

Venthyr Rogue ability seems to be PvP-oriented as well. Almost like covenants are being spun around “What content do you want this for?” instead (the exact opposite of what Ion said they want to do with covenants).

So much for “pick what you think you’ll enjoy” when there’s obviously content-class plugs for covenant choice… Pick Venthyr if you PvP.

(Edit: Sorry @SansĂĽ; for some reason it replied to you when I quoted.)