Why A Forsaken Player Is Frustrated

Most of the Horde and Alliance cinematics are cringe. The new crew are really fan of the 80/90s action movies

I remember in the old days of the RPG the idea was that the Forsaken despised necromancy. They blamed it, and all necromancers, for their being undead. Clearly that went out the window a long time ago.

I actually prefer the idea of Forsaken necromancers, and how it’d take them a great deal of preparation and delicacy to enact the raising of a new, mentally-intact Forsaken. We could see how the necromancers are treated in wider Forsaken society. Are they tolerated as a necessity, or are they held high like doctors are among the living? Seems a lot more interesting to me than glowy death angels that shoot lightning into a pile of corpses, immediately rezzing them as new Forsaken.

10 Likes

Seriously. I felt second hand embarrassment. Who cares of she’s royalty? Royalty of what? This undead, twice destroyed kingdom? Does she have a Royal purse to help fund reconstruction efforts because that’s what I’m interested in talking about. Voss said there’d be more but after that it felt more like a threat than a promise.

It was my favorite zone. I used to idle Benedikt in Brill as that’s where my character ‘lived’. Tirisfal is kind of representative of the Forsaken. Not just destroyed but destroyed in a half assed way.

Say what you will of Teldrassil but it’s burning was treated like the big deal it should be. Lordaeron on the otherhand - like I forgot the Carlston Estate is still occupied. Hell Deathguard Dillinger is posted outside Cold Hearth Manor still giving directions like everything’s fine. It’s surreal.

18 Likes

I think the answer would be and could be yes. Despite every ones hatred of her and the possibilities of her in the story, I could see there being an angle that forsaken who were among the nobility in life under King Menethil would possibly have respect for his daughter. Not to mention some of the undead peasantry who may also have memories/loyalties to the former blood line.

Culture is a messy thing. Who is to say this ruined undead kingdom has succeeded in totally wiping out sympathies for its former royalty? I mean, we aren’t talking about new generations of people who wouldn’t even remember it, but the exact same people who lived it but are now undead. Like, King Menethil was beloved apparently, it’s his son who is despised.

The only problem, as people like to point out, is it hasn’t been shown before now. Like we haven’t seen any Forsaken characters that have held royal sympathies before now. But I mean, Blizzard is lazy and likes to just thrown in new things all the sudden. The whole Draenei story was created for TBC.

3 Likes

But Voss isn’t of the nobility. I winced when Calia brought up Voss’s father. He tries to have Voss killed and she uh, tears his head off about it. Thought it’d be a sensitive topic but I guess not.

It just felt very out of left field. Voss’s character has done a lot of sharp turns in BFA but her suddenly being so polite and respectful seemed bizarre. Like I know she’s torn up about not helping out Derek but you’d think the presence of the PC kinda makes up for that. You spring him regardless of loyalties and it’s not like he’d know your motives for it.

It’s just another example of the disconnect between the writing team and the Forsaken playerbase. I don’t think I’m being cruel by suggesting I don’t care about the Undead Nelves. Maybe they could’ve been an interesting plot point later but them being given the spotlight while so many direly important Forsaken questions go unanswered felt like an insult.

21 Likes

Well I agree about this. In my opinion it actually makes it worse that they don’t just commit to Calia one way or another. Either don’t bring her up at all, or commit to giving her a strong role in the Forsaken story going forward. Having her show up and speak of her sympathies with the people of Lordaeron and then all she does is talk to some undead Night Elves who have nothing to do with Lordaeron sends confusing mixed messages.

7 Likes

And the kicker is it wouldn’t have been difficult to introduce Calia in a less jarring way.

Just have a hooded figure helping out Forsaken refugees in Orgrimmar. Have her turn up in Zuldazar to give WQs about helping said refugees- you wouldn’t need to put much work in just tie the rep into the Honorbound and make it those supply gathering ones if you’re feeling lazy.

You know demonstrate she cares about the Forsaken and is actively helping them - at her own peril no less as this would’ve been when Windy was still in Orgrimmar.

SHOW DON’T TELL BLIZZ. 101 storytelling stuff here they can’t seem to do.

14 Likes

I don’t know if the writers intended it this way, but that was just more proof to me that Calia has no place leading the Forsaken. She’s operating on a pre-Third War knowledge base of Lordaeron. She has zero experience or knowledge with what the Forsaken have gone through since then.

Don’t worry, no one cares about them. I truly hope they just get killed off and are forgotten by everyone.

16 Likes

I think the whole Forsaken narrative over the past 2 years could use a healthy does of “Blight it all”

8 Likes

The forsaken are little better than the scourge… probably worse since they seem to be doing all the bad things willingly and very enthusiastic too.

Calia is the wrong step for the Forsaken imo, they have very little in common to their old identity.
Calia would lend legitimacy to their Kingdom Lordaeron heritage claims.

They need a new leader similar to Putress in some sort of new base with their new architecture.

Humanizing them is the last thing they need.

4 Likes

I’m not at all against humanizing the Forsaken. That’s what Warcraft did for Orcs and why I think this is a franchise that captured so many imaginations.

We don’t need some, huh I guess Calia would be a literal white savior, to do that though. The Forsaken have been humanized so well with quests I’ve described in this thread.

Little stuff like in Vengance Landing where there’s a Forsaken who tasks you with walking and feeding the dark hounds. He mentions he adores dogs but after becoming undead most are afraid of him. So he’s so happy there are these demon doggos that he can play with.

Stuff like that is when the Forsaken are at their best. I’m all for more good aligned Forsaken but they need to be spooky. Everything about them should be a grim mirror of human stuff. That’s why Calia doesn’t really work. She’s a Holy Undead. She’s not dark or mysterious or creepy - the nature of her undeath is literally sunshine. She’s the antithesis of the typical undead experience and so it’s kind of bewildering she apparently has insight on the matter.

28 Likes

I can’t express my thoughts on my phone at work, so this image will for me.

31 Likes

You will love her and cherish her like a good boy. You hear me young man?
From now on you can call her mom.

1 Like

Idk, I think Forsaken should just embrace being bad.

Humanizing them is just going to be a flipflop and no reasonable explanation as to how they justify their actions so far.

It would just be so much more straightforward to say… they just dont care. And why should they? They are frigging dead.

Cause forsaken fans rejected her blizzard does listen I mean look at garrosh they are probably just gonna pull back and leave forsaken in limbo for shadowlands till they figure out how to proceed

1 Like

Probably like Warlocks are in orc society. Orcs have a terrible history with Warlocks and yet, there they are.

Maybe they just needed someone ask for her help first. You know, let some know they wanted her help.

Sad truth is, you might be getting your wish. They’re probably going to solve both the Calia and Dark Rangers issue by acing her pull a Turalyon and Alleria and disappear into Deathknell, not to be seen again until they run out of ideas in another 20 years.

What if she spends time with them and gets to know them. Looks like she’s sticking around in Deathknell for a while, perfect chance to reacquaint herself with her people.

Yeah they also I think implemented the whole loyalist quest line in reaction to outrage by Sylvanas fans.

It makes me mad though that Calia is going to waste. Her model is legit one of the coolest looking things, and I like the idea of undead royalty.

3 Likes

I’m really not sure what the plan was for Calia. If rumors are true Golden had to push for Blizz to use her. Her role was going to be that of a new character. It seemed like she was heir apparent Dark Lady but honestly they blatantly have no idea what they’re doing with the Forsaken.

You mean the ones homeless in Orgrimmar? I think Tirisfal is abandoned. I don’t know though.

Gee maybe they could’ve made a quest that sent you there and talked about the future of the Forsaken. Not like they’d drag us all the way out there just to show that the Night Elves are sad some more. That’d be terribly dumb.

3 Likes

Yep think listen to much for my tastes I feel if they didn’t listen as much the game would be better most the they issues with the story can be traced back to them listening I think imagine a world where they didn’t put in that awful loyalist mission and instead put th resources into the rest of the war campaign just to make it a little bit better maybe showing the nelves taking back ashenvale maybe showing another horde race being more involved with the rebellion

1 Like

This is a good point. Honestly for all our qualms with the story, it would actually be better if they just had a true plan in mind and stuck to their guns. At least it would end up being coherent and we could take it or leave it. Instead it seems like they plan things, then change them due to fan reaction and pressure in real time. Whole story lines scrapped, whole gameplay additions scrapped, leaving this confused incoherent mess by the end of it.

1 Like