Who's the oldest player?

73 here, been playing since vanilla. Like someone above me said, got EQ for my younger son when he was starting HS. Got hooked myself as well and WoW was a natural follow-on (never really liked EQII). My reflexes are slower and my vision worse as time marches on so for the last couple of expansions I have played solo 99.9% of the time
12 Likes
I am 70, female, have been playing since Vanila - die hard WoW gamer. Not great but good enough.
13 Likes
11/15/2018 05:49 AMPosted by Copperdeat
I am 70, female, have been playing since Vanila - die hard WoW gamer. Not great but good enough.
FOR THE HORDE
2 Likes
64 here. I've been here since the vanilla days. I've returned after a two year break. Time for some fun!! See ya'll around Cenarius.
4 Likes

Got an Atari 2600 one year for Christmas, as a kid. Before that we had an Odyssey pong game, or something.

A friend of mine got an Intellivision, so we eventually got one for Christmas too. After that, my Parents were not keen about getting us $200 game systems every few years =/ (Think ColecoVision would have been next, which basically finally portrayed things like Pac Man as well as in the Arcade.)

Then I was not really gaming much until around 18, when I got an IBM XT computer. Then I was into computer games and eventually World of Warcraft (after Ultima Online, Everquest, etc.)

My next console was as a much older adult, the Xbox 360. The Xbox one followed after my 3rd Red Ring on the 360 (managed to do various tricks, but then the last one was the graphics chip or something.)

Glad I got the Xbox One, since Red Dead Redemption 2 came out and is INCREDIBLE. I was telling that friend about it, the one from 40 years ago that I played Atari with and then got an Intellivision when he did; We both agreed that it is pretty nuts that games went from those to something like Red Dead Redemption 2.

So, in the space of 45 years or so, I went from hitting a ā€œlight blipā€ on a screen, with a ā€œlight blipā€ paddle toā€¦

Wondering what is going on over there, with that elk moving his antlers on the ground weird. Then, as Arthur Morgan gets closer, I see that the elk has its antlers entangled with those of another dead elk on the ground. So, as Iā€™ve seen on nature documentaries, the elk were competing for mates and got entangled and one died. The other one would also die, so I was merciful and shot it.

That is a pretty long way from that ā€œpong light blip.ā€

1 Like

Iā€™m just a youngster. Only 70. The kids and grandkids got me started, then they got busy with work and school and Iā€™m the only one still here. Just another grandma gamer. /smile

13 Likes

63 here. Been playing off and on since early Burning Crusade (pre- Isle of Quelā€™Danas). Thrilled to learn that Iā€™m not alone!! (I need to get back into playing more again.)

Speaking of which ā€“ does anyone know whatā€™s going on in that I can log on as one toon standing on the steps of the bank in SW and thereā€™s a humongous crowd, and I can log on 2 minutes later as another toon standing on the steps of the bank in SW, and thereā€™s hardly anyone there? Logged off, went on as the 1st toon again ā€“ huge crowd. Logged off, went back on as 2nd toon ā€“ hardly anyone. Whatā€™s up with that?

Asking here because the children will just mock me for my ignorance. :smiley:

5 Likes

Is one of your toons on an RP realm, or one with war mode on and the other with war mode off?

Non-RP realms use sharding to manage zone population, so itā€™s possible that they both got put into different Stormwind shards. (And RP realms use sharding in current content.) So, your second character just likely got put into a shard that hadnā€™t populated yet. It will generally try to keep a character in one shard once theyā€™ve been put into it, so unless you logged out or left a zone for more than a couple minutes it will try to put them back in it when they return. (I want to say 20 minutes is how long it takes to ā€œforgetā€ your shard, but Iā€™m not sure where I got that number from)

68 here. Maybe we should start a guild for ancient wow players! Then we could go slow and make sure we see everything. :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Iā€™m 76, just returned to Wow after 3+ yr layoff. Have 2 high level chars on Tanaris and one that I just started (now level 22). I started playing with grandkids, now thay are Teens (playing call of duty). A lot has changed in 3 yrs. Iā€™ve been looking for a ā€œseniorā€ guild, with low-key people who acknowledge that they donā€™t have the eye-hand coordination to play well in dungeons and battlegrounds.

7 Likes

69, havenā€™t played since Legion came out and made two desktops and a laptop obsolete. Got a new computer on Thanksgiving day and just started my account back up a few days ago. Iā€™ll be 70 in July, 2019.

7 Likes

Gaming does often seem to be a kid or youth-only activity because younger folks are usually the only ones who have the time for it (Old gamers never die, they just fade away). I think the push in the mid/late 80s to market games specifically to tween boys really started that whole thing in earnest.
On the flip side, the gaming community has definitely aged since video gaming became a thing. I think the average gamer is now mid-40s. I like seeing seniors that found gaming as a good source of fun in retirement, but theyā€™re very few and far between. Probably will be par for the course when I mosey into Shady Acres in 25 years or so.

1 Like

62 granny here, been playing since 2006 :slight_smile:

6 Likes

76, newbee

3 Likes

iā€™m only 62 that makes me a youngen lol

2 Likes

Iā€™m 59, hubby is 67. We just started back after a few years off. Weā€™ve been playing on and off since the beginning. It took a bit to refamiliarize ourselves with the game and weā€™re working our way through Legion at the moment.

We play with our siblings, our kids, nieces and nephews.

4 Likes

47 here! Ive been a gamer since the first atari and commodore 64 computer ever came out. Iā€™m looking for a guild with people around my age to game with.

Any suggestions?

2 Likes

63 here. iā€™ve been playing this since about 2006? love this game. i just need to improve on my tanking. i annoid some people last night. they thought i was a noob.LOL

2 Likes

Be 68 in Nov. played this game since the beginning.

2 Likes