Who will canonically win the Warfronts in Arathi and Darkshore?

too unimportant for story, it’s probably runs forever until it gets relevant

In terms of Darkshore I’m basically taking it as the Alliance has won, and that the version of the zone when held by Alliance is the canon current version. ‘Tyrande got her revenge’ is… well, it’s a thing, but I’ll take it for what it is and say that it means the night elves hold Darkshore again and have largely pushed the Horde from Ashenvale, otherwise it doesn’t make much sense.

The war mission tables are decent for learning some things, but I’m not sure how canon they actually are, and certainly they’re not updated to reflect things nine months after the xpac launched.

Arathi’s somewhat… different, and it feels more like a Warcraft 2 reference at times than an actual progression of lore. Much like Darkshore, I don’t see any logical way the Horde could hold it, all it would take is Ironforge marching north en masse and they’d be crushed.

1 Like

Barrens Warfront turned out to not actually be a thing:

What about the Barrens Warfront speculation?

Nothing is planned. That was a very early internal prototype, when first beginning development of Battle for Azeroth, which served as a test bed before any of the new areas were created. Most things were taken out and never even made it into Alpha testing, but a few strings remained and were found by datamining.

1 Like

Honestly the warfronts favored the alliance heavily from the start we will most likely see the night elves get their territory back and the humans reclaim stromgarde. The horde will get nothing and the alliance will get two revamped zones yay for unbiased story telling

2 Likes

Silvermoon is looking pretty isolated in the north now that Stromgard is ours and Lordaeron is now a true ruin…

Yes silver moon is so isolated now that a defunked human kingdom has rebuilt itself on the southern most tip of the northern eastern kingdoms. The only difference between now and then is that the central portions of the north are nearly completely ungoverened

Mabye its time to rejoin the Alliance…Alleria Windrunner certainly wants it. And I doubt the Banshee Queen is gonna be in power for long.

Why? Alleria is a hero from the second war that wasn’t there for any of the events that made the blood elves blood elves. She’s a character that doesn’t want to accept the reality that the alliance did something to cause a schism between belfs and humans, and is willing to try to bring silvermoon back by force. That seems like a dictator to me and I’ve already seen how things play out when you let a windrunner run things.

4 Likes

Admittedly I would not mind being made to go Alliance. But that is a disaster of writing when there is not enough reason to like your faction. I share a lot of your criticism of Alleria, but with the Horde narrative as it is she in the right to be mad about Blood Elves being part of something evil. I fear they are going to have Lor’themar not have the support of his people, thus indeed requiring redemption.

1 Like

That’d be a horrible plot twist I’m sick of it being that whenever the alliance and horde fight the horde immediately becomes a super villian and we spend the next two expansions redeeming ourselves so we can do it again on the third expansion

9 Likes

Well that would certainly fix the population disparity between both factions.

It’s not entirely without hope. Although Lordaeron’s been got, the only connection of territory in which the Alliance can move soldiers in and out of reliably is through a single, crumbling bridge that connects the Highlands to the Wetlands, and in turn, leads all the way up to Ironforge. It’s a long hike for them by foot. Heavy vehicles may not be so safe to move over the bridge due to its state and repairs may be lengthy. Gryphons and mole machines, while capable of moving small numbers at a time, is nowhere near enough to field an entire army in one sitting- and it’s probably unsafe to move those soldiers piecemeal, since the defending force can just pick them apart before they can adequately defend themselves. The only real method of safe transportation (relatively) is an airship and it’s a good question to ask how many they have left, as well as how many they’re willing to risk for one front.

On the other side, the defenders are the Defilers. I make this argument a lot, but it’s a good one. The Forsaken make perfect defenders, because they do not have to eat, drink, sleep, use the bathroom or breathe. They cannot be driven out of their location by pestilence, starvation, smoke or otherwise. They only die by physical destruction, so any wounds received in combat are structural damages that have to be mended, internal injury is no concern. There is no time in which the defenses should be compromised due to the needs of the body. They are the literal anomaly when looking at logistics.

The obvious benefit of area denial and earth salting via blight aside, holding the Keep makes them deadly. Keeps are designed to withstand 10:1 odds and win. It’s why the Siege of the Undercity was such a massive meatgrinder. Even if the forward walls are compromised and the army makes it over the rubble that serves as an obstacle to slow them, there’s another court yard to wall them off, separate them and let them get picked off. It’s why in assaults, they had to pay the first men triple, because they knew that only a few of them were actually going to return, if any of them at all.

The odds are good for the defending army. All that they need is occasional, rare reinforcements from the north. Lor’themar might be acting to depose Sylvanas but Silvermoon itself isn’t. Its leadership would know that letting the Arathi fall would mean that the enemy would give them more ground to operate out of to attack Silvermoon.

The Arathi Highlands aren’t so bad.

Darkshore, on the other hand, is sort of weird in that they had 0 ports to operate out of and didn’t have waves of soldiers to throw at a location, nor craftsmen or officers to lead. They hosted this attack entirely without the support of the Alliance’s forces and somehow took it without any established bases or preperations. It’s not to imply that the Night Elves are bad at what they do, they actually kick a lot of (profanity), it’s just that it’s way, way easier to defend a location than it is to attack it. The attacking force’s losses will normally be substantial and those that perish have to be replaced to continue the attack. If the Horde is ousted out of Darkshore, though, it’d be to the Night Elves’ benefit, if they can establish a port to keep bringing in resources and build outposts in a timely matter, time being against them in this instance.

They were for the old BG. The Horde forces in the Warfront are Orcs, Blood Elves, Tauren, and Trolls. For… some reason.

They’re going to need supplies. And those supplies are going to have to go past either the Wilhammers of Aerie Peak, or the Worgen in Gilneas (because, apparently there are enough Worgen in Gilneas to be a threat, according to the Warfront description?).

You can still find Defilers in the patrol mode.

They take over the farm when the Alliance controls the Warfront. The actual Horde military campaign in Arathi is, for whatever reason, undertaken by every Horde race except Forsaken and Goblin (and the Huojin and ARs).

1 Like

I think the bulk of the Forsaken army is stationed in Zandalar and Darkshore. There was more Orcs and Trolls available to be deployed elsewhere.

I’m assuming we’ll be back at status quo by the end of the expansion, so that would require an Alliance victory in Darkshore and a draw in Arathi.

Also an Alliance victory in Ashenvale and Horde victory in Lordaeron, but those aren’t warfronts.

Thread talking about war, everyone ignores the fact that the horde navy got midwayed. Surely thats not important in a war where the navies where the main point

Darkshore falling to the Horde, though at great cost to Horde lives, would be better for future storytelling than the Night Elves and Malfurion curbstomping their enemies.

If Arathi was canonically reclaimed by the Alliance, it could bring SMC-Alliance tensions to the forefront, considering their the last Horde race entrenched in Lordaeron.

the alliance navy will be stomped too, though, in 8.2 by azshara.