Who is Baine?

No hate, but ive only quested on EK and only know him as Cairnes son and exiled some ppl for avenging taurajo.

Like, how would you explain baine to a loyalist belf?

I mean… that’s it though. He’s Cairne’s son, he’s chieftain of the Tauren. He’s sort of the heart of the Horde, when Blizzard actually lets him do stuff.

5 Likes

Think of him like an cow-sona for Lor’themar, only less capable, has not done as much and was simply the one who got to the threshold of being disgruntled first.

Yeah, he’s Cairne’s son. Raised by Cairne during a particularly rough part of history for his people. Honrable, strong, proven in combat as he took Thunder Bluff back from rebellion after his father’s death and held it against a second attack.

Best of all, he’s more likely to put your body to rest than raise you as either a forsaken or a mindless undead slave as a weapon.

6 Likes

Alright, essentially Baine is one of the most powerful Tauren around, he’s generally accepted as having strength equal to his father in his prime. A blood elf who’s loyal to Sylvanas would know of him as the first person to attempt negotiations, and especially the first to commit treason. He has long been known to challenge the Warchief, starting with Garrosh.

Whether or not it’s objectively true, a loyalist belf would not like him very much seeing as they’ve likely only heard of his misdeeds.

2 Likes

The tauren had a rebellion? Was it because of the poison thing agatha did?

Yeah. I didn’t read that book, unfortunately, but from what I remember from discussion? Baine got Gazlowe to lend him a zep or two to access Thunder Bluff so he could retake it. – Someone else can either correct me or fill in the rest.

Ok so what happened there, when Garrosh wanted to go into Ashenvale, Cairne challenged him to Mak’gorah. There used to be tons of complicated political lore including a sabotage by a cult to make it happen, but Chronicles retconned it into: “Garrosh was bad, Cairne was good.”

They went in to fight, and Mak’gorah traditionally allows you to have a shaman bless your weapon. Magatha snuck in and ‘blessed’ Garrosh’s axe, but covered it in poison instead, making his victory a cheat. She tried to lead an insurrection to take Thunder Bluff and leave the Horde as part of a separatist deal, but that didn’t work out well because Baine beat her backside raw and chased off her soldiers.

1 Like

Well no. Or yes, depending on how you look at it.

The poisoning was the start of the rebellion which was done BY the Grimtotem. Basically they indirectly assassinated Cairne and then tried to take over.

“You merely took a zeppelin to Kalimdor. I was born in it, molded by it.”

7 Likes

As a bonus, Magatha wrote Garrosh Hellscream personally, begging for mercy on the count of his victory being by her hand. He replies with vitriol, telling her to go and die more or less.

2 Likes

A miserable little pile of secrets.

4 Likes

Baine is a sentient paperweight who rolls whichever way he’s nudged.

5 Likes

This is all you need to know about Baine.

9 Likes

I can’t breathe oh my god

The best and most correct interpretation I’ve seen in some time.

1 Like

Narratively speaking, Baine is the Horde’s damsel in distress and has been since his very first introduction back in WC3.

1 Like

fixed it/didn’t fix it

1 Like

Everybody asks who is Baine
Nobody asks how is Baine

10 Likes

Nobody cares.

3 Likes