Whispers from GM?

Sadly some people not only fall for this, they go to the link and put in their account information :frowning:

• Blizzard will NEVER ask you to go log in and give them info to prevent a penalty. Never.
  • They have a special chat window and blue Blizzard icon if they do message you, which is exceedingly rare.
  • The only Warning in game from Blizzard is a chat warning that is auto generated - it does NOT require you to go to a link or enter information. Just letting you know to stop spamming or whatever.
  • If you ever get a message you don’t trust, right click report it. Real Blizzard messages can’t be reported - scammers can.

Here are the two articles you will want to read about Phishing, and about the real Warning.

Chat Phishing

Game Masters always have a Game Master Logo tag next to their name. If the tag isn’t there, but the person you’re talking to claims to be with Blizzard, it’s a phishing attempt. We also cannot contact players inside Diablo 3, Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm, Overwatch, or StarCraft.

Please report players impersonating GMs so we can take action against them. This will also place them on a temporary ignore list so you can keep playing without receiving additional messages.

If your account has been hacked, submit a ticket and secure the account as soon as possible. You should also consider attaching a Battle.net Authenticator and signing up for Notifications for added layers of security.

12 Likes

Haha… no. The oldest scam was “/yell ********* ********” followed by “/yell holy crap! if you yell your account name and password it automatically blocks the letters!”.

3 Likes

Ugh! Scammers are such awful people. I hate that their shenanigans actually work for them sometimes. :unamused:

2 Likes

Its a Scam big time…Blizzard GM’s no longer contact you in game anymore and besides if a GM ever did their chat would be a separate chat box from your normal game chat box…and it would be in Blue…the border around the box would be blue…the chat would be blue lettering…ITS A SCAM DON’T chat and go change your password right now.

1 Like

My Nigerian source tells me it’s a scam. Only cost me 800 bucks and my social security number to get the info.

1 Like

Thank Khadgar you came here OP.

I’m glad you were saved the indignity of getting scammed.

1 Like

Blizzard in-game GM conversations occur through a pop-up message window in blue text with a big Blizzard logo, any DM you get through normal chat is a scam.

1 Like

Back in vanilla I saw a GM hanging out in a tree once. It was cool.

2 Likes

lol just got this too, except they spelled it Billzzard. Figured it was a scam right away and came here to see if others have mentioned it.

1 Like

I saw this, too. They were representing Blizzard as a DK, so the name was in red, to help add with any ‘‘alarm’’ a player might experience.

It was a lvl 8 DK on Dalaran Server.

The scammer gave a website to go to, to ‘‘fix’’ your account, or you will get suspended.

" Blilzzard" Naaaaaaaaaaaah Aint No way that name XDDDDDDDDDDDDDD Im SO DEAD :dracthyr_lulmao: :skull:

2 Likes

just happen to me lol made a post lol

It’s only legit if it comes from Bleezard.

3 Likes

Let me guess, your password is hunter2?

I think I just showed my age. I’ll back away quietly now.

1 Like

They never message me! I don’t get to report them even :frowning:
Taking all my “fun” away.

7 Likes

I hear Alt+F4 auto reports people that you believe are scamming!! lol after 20 years people still get this scam and fall for it?

1 Like

My personal favorite was the old “doubling your gold” scam. Rumor has it that some people are still waiting to get their doubled gold back even today.

2 Likes

Yeah, they have been whispering me on death knights that have a variation of Blizzard for a name. Always report them for account phishing.

1 Like

Yeah I told them I loved them and I kept trying to talk to them but they ignored me.

3 Likes

I just report them for suspicious activity and impersonating a GM, and go about my day.