Which do y’all care about more?

Winning, or having fun?

Do y’all care about winning more, or do y’all care about having fun, challenging games more.

In other words, if you had the power to GUARANTEE a win EVERY single game, but it had the side effect of making battlegrounds “easy,” and kinda boring after a while, would y’all do it?

Personally, I would not.

After all, and this is a real quote I think,
“if you beat someone that you know you’re going to beat, that’s bullying. There has to be a mysterious element as to whether or not you’re going to win the game. Then it’s actually competitive.” -Chael Sonnen, I think (referenced by GothamChess).

But yeah, the reason I ask is because I’ve noticed there’s a lot of egos in the battleground community. A lot of people seem to be getting more and more obsessed with the optics of beating people, as opposed to having nice, fun, challenging games.

And yes, even I used to be very competitive in that regard, but I feel like I’ve gradually moved away from that mindset. I like competitive games. Easy wins are very boring, and if I feel like my strategies/tactics are too powerful, so much so that enemy teams, even premades, will have NO chance of countering them, I straight up just won’t do them lol (like sure I may do them ONCE “for the luls,” like SAS leaders can attest to lol, but I know that doing it over and over will just lead to boring games that are impossible for the enemy to counter).

Blizzard has not added an epic BG in several years, so if winning becomes too easy, epics will become stale and boring. And that is why I personally state (as I joke) that I “only use 1% of my power.”

But anyway, I’m really curious as to what the rest of y’all feel like. Do y’all care the most about having “fun, challenging” games, or does the thrill of winning, and the “owning of your enemies” that comes with it, even if it makes the games worse in the long run, trump all else?

3 Likes

winning is fun

DJL is all about having fun. We even have fun when we lose. If you’re not having fun, you’re doing it wrong.

3 Likes

winning is all that matters

At this point, just playing the game is the reward.

Most fun:

• your premade beats an opposing premade (similar numbers) and it’s close/challenging

Pretty good fun:

• your premade beats an opposing premade that may be afflicted by bad pugs
  • your premade loses to an opposing premade and it’s close/challenging

Boring:

• your premade beats an obvious pug, especially one that barely tries and/or has revolving door backfill
5 Likes

Fun usually involves winning but winning itself isn’t nesscearily fun.

4 Likes

Sure, but let’s say, hypothetically speaking (I don’t think this works anymore, this is just an example), Defense in Wintergrasp can GUARANTEE a win just by full turtling in the fortress, denying the enemy kills, and Offense cannot do ANYTHING about it.
It’s winning, sure, but it wouldn’t be a “fun” win, right? Just 45 minutes of waiting for the battleground to end.

This guy is confirmed a lizard person that has lived since the dinosaur age.

I just kill ally
don’t care if I lose, as long as I kill some ally.

1 Like

Ever since i started playing rbgs my perspective changed and now playing to win is more fun.

Ill yolo into glavies over and over to kill them, or run in and spin a flag even if ill end up in the gy a bunch.

2 Likes

Winning is always the main point but there are ways to have a good time even if you know you’re going to lose.

1 Like

Winning, definitely. I don’t have a problem with losing if it was a close game and we almost clutched it and we had good team work but just couldn’t edge it out. But if my team is getting stomped, I feel like we’re down people while a giant deathball just moves around killing everything in its way, that’s not fun. I’d rather win than lose.

You guys take “epic” bgs way too serious. It is the least serious form of PvP in any game I have ever played.

1 Like

Seeing improvement is the most fun and improving leads to more frequent winning

I think they are fun I do them cause it beats running m+ or slamming my head into meta over and over in solo shuffle or transmog/ collectible farming

1 Like

Winning. Losing aint fun.
Winning is fun.

Fun.

Winning is usually fun. Sometimes winning too hard just feels empty, but if it was actually a pretty good fight it’s satisfying.

If we’re absolutely getting dumpstered in a BG, I’ll just look for skirmishes on the sides to try and get any fights that aren’t just my team collapsing and me getting trained by six ret paladins and four hunters. I can still have a ton of fun in a BG we lost as long as I can find some good fights on the sides.
If I’m healing, I’ll just find a good DPS to pocket while the rest of the team feeds.

Sometimes a BG has zero redeeming qualities lol.

It’s nice to lose really close games and have people say GG when it actually was a GG that we happened to lose rather than just saying GG after we steamroll.

If it’s a competitive match and I lose I am okay with it because it can be fun still. Getting destroyed and spawn camped by a premade or bad matching not so much. The problem is the latter is the more common outcome, no matter what side you are on. Very few competitive matches ever.

That’s just your opinion. It’s a competition with a scoreboard and all, if you aren’t interested in winning that’s a you problem. Someone who doesn’t play video games would say none of this is serious, screw your rating.

1 Like