Where will the servers be a few months from now?

It’s a little over a month after launch, and most servers have dropped down to medium population.

Where will they be 2 months from now? 6 months? a year?

I think they will be dead ghost towns, if the community keeps shrinking like this.

It’s kind of depressing, and I feel like i made a huge mistake by not picking one of the few giant servers.

Not too far off the 5 in SoCal? And somewhere in the Chicago burbs?

Id transfer to larger server, honestly. Zero regrets.

4 Likes

No transfers in Classic WoW. If you picked a dead server, you wasted your time and have to reroll.

1 Like

Theyre going to be merged is my guess, I already have had to switch server just to avoid going hours in LFG on this char. Too bad so sad but it is to be expected. happily lvling on a layered server

They literally NEVER merged servers in Retail, there are dozens of low pop servers. Don’t hold your breath on that one.

2 Likes

Yes just like every single mmo/game ever it has a shelf life. People move on. It’s always been like that.
The pop will settle and that will be that. It’s inevitable. Especially for a 15 year old game that is static.
There will still be die hards and smaller communities but people are going to do different things. Especially if they get done what they wanted to or burn themselves out trying. Mmo burnout is real.

I see it settling into small communities with people playing casually and leveling alts across multiple servers or using free/paid transfers.
It’s going to be solid guild communities that keep it alive.

1 Like

Naw they just connected and cross realmed them. Essentially merging them.

We just had rounds of free transfers and I think some are still open? Paid transfers is the only mtx they said they are even considering for classic.

That’s odd, perhaps it’s the time of day you’re logging in? There’s things called ‘peak hours’ and whenever I happen to login, everything is medium-full.

6 Likes

We still have retail servers and they been dead for a long time.

2 Likes

They stopped doing that, at one point they said the way the servers are built now (this includes classic because it’s built on modern server architecture) doesn’t allow them to without extreme difficulty.

They should be basically connecting almost ALL the (retail) realms at this point.

Most likely in the same building they started out in unless there’s a move. It’s not like servers have legs and can get up and walk off. The murloc only goes so fast on the hamster wheel.

2 Likes

Paid server xfers existed in vanilla.

The problem is they don’t exist in classic.

Don’t exist yet*

If they follow the same guidelines you’ll still only be able to transfer from high to lower and not the other way, so it doesn’t really fix the issue

1 Like

Honestly who didn’t see this coming? People complained about queues, but people with foresight knew it was going to be a temporary thing. Once things settled down only the mega servers would be alive.

I feel bad for people who were too impatient to wait for things to settle. Now they’ve gotta reroll or be on a ghost town server.

Even on large servers it’s becoming a pain to put groups together, 1-2 hours to find a tank most days.

I had to reroll a few times after my server went dead in vanilla. It’s kind of a thing that happens if you don’t have shards.

I remember blizzard trying to fix this problem by moving some of the premier raiding guilds from one server to another but It ended up being a catastrophe for the original server.

Not sure there’s any fix for this other than sharding.

A little shocking to see people saying it’s hard to find groups, or that their servers are dying.

I’m on one of the lowest pop realms, and it feels quite healthy. I get group invites, even when I’m not looking. I’m never at an empty quest hub, it’s usually bustling.

Remember that a medium pop server now has more people than a full realm back in Vanilla. So there are more people per server, especially during peak times, than there ever was back in Vanilla.

I don’t know where anyone got “low pop” from. There isn’t a single low population realm.

If servers start getting empty, it will likely result in server mergers, which were a thing during Vanilla. Cross realm won’t fly with most of the Classic community. They have also talked about paid character transfers.

5 Likes

Probably exactly where they are now. I mean they built a data center, why move them?