Where does Classic end and Retail begin?

in launcher menu there will be retail, wotlk and vanilla

This should have always been the plan. Maybe the option to one way transfer / copy to the next expansion. Having the whole Classic trilogy playable at all times really makes the most sense. I’d likely have a character on each of them and go back to them all.

2 Likes

classic will continue so long as blizzard doesn’t have to put actual effort into it. at best they see how many people want to stay in Wrath and make a new server or two to hold them while they also release Classic Cata and so on.

Thanks. I think I found it. Under game version? They could add them to the games bar at the top of the launcher to make it more obvious. I didn’t even know I could join.

Maybe it’s empty because it’s not advertised well or made obvious. Also, if there are too many realms that will be a problem.

Imo, a few vanilla, TBC, and WotLK realms should be always remain available for preservation and comparison. Naturally, seasonal, new expansions, or classic+ would be more alive.

Odds are they will keep pumping them out till they are no longer profitable

I like this sequencing.

I’m not searching for the nostalgia of Classic WoW. I’m just wanting them not to ruin the game by bringing in an expansion that makes drastic changes to the mechanics and workings of the game, outside of QoL.

We were all 20 years younger when the game released, yes younger players would need to get on board to continue the subscriptions, but I’m not really expecting the nostalgia of figuring out raid bosses etc.

Blizzard cold totally deliver that by creating new and unexpected content or changes to the raid mechanics, that would be a mechanic I think most would welcome.

But they have to stop it somewhere, or they’ll keep going and run this little double dip of profit right into the ground.

There are legacy items and titles that havent been available on retail for 20 yeara… Suddenly throwing a bunch of people who acquired them a few months ago into retail would cause a huge fuss

I don’t know that this will happen, or be reasonable…

WoW still has a large population, but splitting it 3 ways, I don’t foresee that going well.

When ppl quit over something that they can opt out of, like rdf, its time to just ignore that loss and move on. U cant please stupid.

The same for example transmog. I can understand some players quitting cause dont like seeimg ppl in fake gear. But if you made it client side only. Or optional. A lot of dumb ppl would still quit. So dont worry about those players. Just be thankful they quit and move on.

I highly doubt they will do something like classic + where they create new stuff for the older games that requires them to create new art assets new quests possibly new zone. The classic team already has small dev team no way they could handle that lol

Lets stop the mentality of that for a moment. Why do my pixels affect your pixels. The reality is they dont. I have a large amount of retail exlusives, and i could honestly care less if you could go back and get all of them. Let people go get things they dont have. If they got it in classic, they literally earned it in the same way the people in retail earned it

Edit: let people be upset about it…they stop caring eventually and they wont unsub, they are the loud minority, and people will continue to collect things.

There only needs to exist 1 realm at most for each and there is plenty of people to make that happen. If you think about it Wrath is already split 10+ ways and really there are enough people for 30 or more realms if we didn’t have these mega realms.

Of courww they do. Rare items have a higher value. Reduce their rareness, you reduce their value. Pretty basic stuff my dude

They literally have 0 value when you exclusive your game into oblivion. A game that has moved heavily in retail towards collections will have a health decline when exclusive andys toss a fit about every item they dont want other people to have. If your enjoyment of your pixels is rooted in someone else not having them you must be really fun to be around. As someone who has all mage tower skins, both weapons and armor, i couldnt care less if they reoppend the challenges for people to do. Theyve already proved they can instance zones based on lvl.

As for classic, again, if you got the items in classic, you did the exact same things that we did 18 years ago. No reason why that cant be represented on your retail account. You did the thing. Or should we just say things like, ‘maybe your parents should have thought about that before you were born at an inconvenient time to do a wow thing’

I think its pretty simple.

When the company got WOKE

Not at all. Me and my guildies are having a ball in the Classic Era East PvP cluster. If Bliz is to make novel content for Classic WoW lets see em create Phase 7!

Retail definitely starts in cata, thats when automated systems took over, cash shops became more relevant, player base dropping. Its the end of wow and I will laugh as blizzard does it all again. Actually the definition of insanity.

2 Likes

Every Classic expansion is another opportunity to sell another Deluxe Edition, another boost, and get a brief influx of players.

That’s the only reason this thing is still going.

1 Like

This linked thread has some useful information about the Classic Era (max level 60, Phase 6/6) realms. Both Classic Era and the wotlk progression realms have identical server names. Some key takeaways are:

• Realms are clustered according to type (PvE or PvP) and timezone (Oceanic, West Coast, East Coast)
  • Some realms receive free transfers
  • Instanced PvP (Battlegrounds) combines all Classic Era clusters together so queues will be identical no matter where you choose to call home

My advice is to roll a lv1 on any prospective cluster and chat with the locals to get a feel for each communities’ culture.

Transmog is the line.