Where did all the Silvermoon RP run off too?

Chromie time also caused a lot of players to be sharded from seeing one another in the questing experience. It causes the same splitting issue that say, too many gamemodes/maps in other games would, but wow’s so old at this point that opening up the leveling process from a formerly linear zone level system was probably for the best. You see it worse on rp realms, too, since we have no sharding in the old zones (barring exceptions like dazar’alor/zuldazar, current content zones, etc)

you do gotta understand that we get a thread every other week about how the server is dead and people should just go to moon guard, to the point where responding helpfully about WrA’s preference for event/guild RP gets the “oh so you’re dead and you all suck, i might as well just go to moon guard, the better server.” It’s a little exhausting for people here to hear. that does explain some of the more old guard grumbling.

6 Likes

But that is the appropriate response.

Like, is Silvermoon the big bustling RP megahub as it was back in the day? No. But the whole state of WoW as a whole is not the same anymore with communities across all servers splintering, people moving on, the game itself just being more demanding of people time if they want to progress, etc.

Is there RP elsewhere on WrA? Yes. Are there RP guilds and events, and hubs, and all that jazz? Yes. But if you specifically want Silvermoon to be your choice destination and backdrop then I’m sorry, without a concentrated effort by other players -including yourself- the circumstances aren’t going to change. Outside of the dedicated days in which people do choose SIlvermoon as their party destination.

I’m not sure where you are taking the offense of the place not being welcoming when most people here have given you the most honest, concise answers possible. Which I think is a far better alternative than being misleading and completely selling you a false bill of goods. And you, pardon if I’m misjudging you, seem to presenting that because Silvermoon isn’t bustling right now that RP is dead on WrA. Which is far from true.

4 Likes

I can see how that’d get exhausting, for sure.

Even so, it’s not exactly encouraging nor welcoming for every possible new person dipping toes into WrA to have people speak to them like somehow it’s on their heads to make RP happen in dead city hubs. I 100% get the exhaustion from trolls who spam threads about the server dying - gods know we have enough doing the “omg WoW is dying!!!11!!!” spiel on the GD forum; I just think it’s uh… probably not a good idea to approach every single new person posting in WrA’s forum, like they’re also a troll.

Honestly I’ve been warned away by most of my friends who do believe WrA is relatively dead in comparison to MG, but I wanted to see it for myself before making judgements! Plus, it’d be great to do some Horde RP - many unique cultures and races exist on Horde side, a lot of which I adore and want to do stuff with despite preferring Alliance aesthetics.

So it’s uh. Discouraging, to say the least! For people to say “well if you want RP here, make it happen yourself, just like this guy who revitalized Duskwood”. I ain’t got that kind of time, energy, or motivation for a server I just started on, y’all. :dracthyr_cry_animated:

I mean, yes and no. I get the point, but you’re aiming that and putting all that weight on people new to the server. As if somehow it’s our fault SMC - or any other place - is dead or near to being.

Nowhere did I say that at any point. I just expressed disappointment in it being in the same shoddy state on WrA as it is on MG. I had hoped that to not be the case on the Horde-heavy RP server, but alas! It’d be nice to RP there eventually, and at least there are still some events going on there - that’s enough for me for now! But being told “if you want to RP there, stand around narrating to yourself for hours alone and hope some rando IC person wanders around to engage with” is uh. Not only unrealistic, but kind of crummy to say to a person brand new to the server who is wanting to check out the RP scene.

Nowhere have I said as such? I would ask you to pick out exactly where I did, as you perhaps are confusing me with the OP - who I am not.

Some people here, yourself included, could’ve fooled me.

I’m mostly leveling first, right now - and planning to check out Orgrimmar first before I commit to making RP alts here, as that does seem to be - in a similar vein to SW on MG - the ‘central’ RP hub for the server. I simply check out server forums, and saw this, and thought I’d share my own thoughts.

If this was made by a known troll, then… apologies for being new to WrA’s forums and not knowing, I guess??

2 Likes

I will say that I’m realllllly tired of seeing these posts. If someone wants to find RP, they’ll find it. You can:

• Join an RP guild.

• Ask about ongoing RP in chat, communities, etc.

• JOIN THE WYRMREST COMMUNITY PROJECT DISCORD that currently has 29 events listed on their calendar.

It’s not the responsibility of the forums to find RP for you. If you want to find it, then put in the work like the rest of the RPers do. There are guilds advertising. There are events advertising. There are RPers who would network with others simply if asked.

I’m not trying to be unwelcoming, but if you can post numerous times on the forums, I honestly don’t see why you can’t use that same time and effort to contact an RP guild or two, swing over to the Discord and introduce yourself, or spend more effort than grousing on the forums.

6 Likes

This is partially personal opinion, but I’m saying this in hopes that it will help you make an informed decision about whether you want to invest time in playing on WrA or not: There is no ‘central’ RP hub on WrA because most of WrA’s RP is not walk-up.

We do have walk-up – a little bit, at least – but most of WrA’s RP experience takes the form of guild RP, public campaigns, freeform RP set up via OOC networking, and public scheduled events. If you want to experience WrA RP, then I suggest scrolling through the forums and/or joining the Wyrmrest Community Project to find events and campaigns you might be interested in. If you would be interested in networking with other players to meet for freeform world RP rather than finding them at random, the WCP can be used for that purpose as well.

If you mostly want random walk-up, and if you want there to just be random walk-up available without your being involved in bringing it back, then that’s fine and understandable and you should certainly check out Duskwood and the Valley of Honor, but WrA is probably not going to be your thing. We’re still working on it.

6 Likes

I appreciate you being candid about it!

Though ultimately, whether or not that’s true, I prefer seeing it first myself - giving it that personal chance, so to speak, and making my own informed decision based off what I see personally, rather than what others tell me. After all, if I listened only to the opinions/beliefs of others, I wouldn’t have even made any alts on WrA at all. :dracthyr_crylaugh: My friends constantly talk about WrA being fairly dead-- or at least, not nearly active to the degree MG is. But, I like making my decisions based on personal experience first and foremost. I just take others’ accounts into consideration, in addition to that!

Ironically, that’s what most say about MG’s Horde RP, as well. Which, is part of why I rolled Hordes on WrA rather than MG - compare and contrast, etc etc.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that method of RPing, personally. It’s a little harder for new RPers/shy or anxious RPers to break in to, though (which, I fall under the latter) - but I don’t think it’s a bad approach to RP at all, and oftentimes builds communities just as strong as or stronger than ones which have a heavy walk-up emphasis.

I don’t always need/want random walk-ups, admittedly. Really, they kind of make me more nervous than anything. I do, however, love ‘watching’ RP out in the world, or walk-up RP happening around me. It’s just an enjoyable pastime for when I don’t personally have the brain for RP at the time, or just am afk doing stuff with friends or things other than WoW. It also tends to give me a good idea of just… mm. I suppose the ‘style’ of RP, or general vibes of RP, for a server? Reading TRPs, seeing what kinds of RP is going on in the world as I sit around for a bit just taking things in, etc. That was mainly why I was attempting to get to Orgrimmar first, before deciding what I would do - even if, as you said, it isn’t quite a walk-up ‘central hub’ as SW is on Moon Guard, there’s likely still at least some going on. Plus, TRPs to read, etc!

I will keep what you said in mind, though. Likely the plan is, I’ll see how Orgrimmar is first - any walk-ups going on in the city, or open RP, etc. Then give the forums and the WCP a looksee. After I have those two avenues looked over/experienced, I’ll feel best informed on whether I want to commit time to leveling a couple of Horde alts for RP on WrA or not! (Which, to be fair, I love leveling - so even if I didn’t get into the RP scene as much, I’d probably still drag one to cap solely for the leveling experience if nothing else :dracthyr_crylaugh: )

I’d recommend going to public events. Especially the reoccurring ones.

Since 2009, Story Circle has been held in Bloodhoof Village every Sunday @6 ST (minus some major holidays) and has been a stepping stone for many new and shy role players. It is actually the second rp event I attended way back in 2012 and how I found my first rp guild.

Going off of how important stories are to Tauren and others, everyone is invited to come and listen or even tell a story themselves. And it isn’t just stories. Sometimes people read poems or play songs. This of course is done IC.

Here is the link; [H/A/N-Rp Event] Story Circle

1 Like

That honestly sounds incredibly fun! I assume it’s fine for some to come in and just linger in silence to watch? Because that just sounds like a lovely, chill way to spend Sunday night even if I didn’t feel like actively participating in the RP.

I’ll be sure to keep Story Circle in mind for the future. :dracthyr_heart:

1 Like

Yup! Anyone can come and just watch. Don’t have to engage at all. We get a lot of people leveling that come through. Some ask “What is this?” Some sit and listen.

1 Like

I think you could probably just come by and watch, as you mentioned liking to do with watching walk-up RP, at a lot of public events, especially the ones that are oriented more towards social/mingling RP. It never hurts to ask the host, but I suspect most won’t mind as long as you’re not producing any distracting jumping/running movement, toy effects, or OOC /say chatter.

Things being scheduled rather than random means you may not be able to do this whenever you want, but there are a lot of scheduled events, so likely there will be an opportunity somewhere most of the time.

2 Likes

There are also events like the story circle that revolve around sitting and listening. I don’t know if Tirisfal Theatre Troupe is still active, but there are a few performer’s guilds still around, with the music festival going on right now. They’re public events where you’re actually asked to keep RP to whispers so that people can “hear the performance.”

2 Likes

No one here is trolling unless you are. Forum posters - RPers who have been around this server for years - offered lots of good options for finding RP on this server. Yes, some were “be the solution,” which you didn’t have time for since you’re also starting a guild on MG, but some were as simple as “here’s where to find the other RPers.” If you’re really interested in Horde RP, poke around Org, go to a guild faire, join the Wyrmrest Community Project Discord, try some of the server events, etc.

Oh, and next time you reply to someone’s comment, please don’t bump it up into your previous post with an edit. And remember…lines like “Some people here, yourself included, could’ve fooled me” looks like the type of sarcasm that isn’t going to win you any points :frowning:

… Did you miss the last few posts? Lots of people gave good recommendations, in addition to the two SMC-specific ones that were mentioned earlier in the thread. Which was a nice, refreshing change from the deluge of “well if you want SMC RP you gotta make it yourself, quit crying”-esque posts.

I’ll continue to do so, as I prefer simply adding to prior comments rather than clogging a thread up. There isn’t really a forum rule stating this isn’t allowed, and it’s what I’ve done on most forums I’ve participated in since… well, I first got a computer.

Well, when people approach someone stating an opinion/concern with such aggressive or frankly unwelcoming posts… what is someone meant to think, exactly?

I get that WrA’s forums apparently have a bad troll problem with people coming in making “omg dead server lululul” posts, or what have you. But approaching every single person who expresses any iota of concern of there being truth to that, with that sort of grousing, is not going to help the server’s community get any more lively. Assuming the worst of everyone - especially those new and unfamiliar to the server - does nothing but drive people right back to their home server.

Understandable, for sure. Btags or a unified forum account would go a long way towards fixing issues like that, honestly… :dracthyr_cry_animated:

I do get that by posting from a relatively low level character (with a bugged character display, at that), I may not exactly come off like a genuine person rather than some troll’s alt. Unfortunately I do not trust people on forums enough to not go harassing me or my guild in-game any time they take issue with or disagree with a post of mine for any reason, so I post on an unconnected alt.

I’m still mad about the display for them being bugged and stuck on this default icon, though. I have a great mog on her and everything. :dracthyr_cry_animated:

Honestly, with all the trolls and a certain homophobic one with too many accounts, lately if I see a troll post or one that even remotely seems like one, I can’t help but wonder if it one of his many accounts.

There’s no rule against it, but it is much more difficult to follow a conversation that is not linear. How you format your posts is obviously up to you, but as personal preference/feedback, I also appreciate it when replies to posts are under the posts that are being replied to. Replies being added above the post is disorienting for me. It’s also likely that some people are going to miss your replies entirely (if they’re not being pinged by your having quoted them in particular).

Personally I would recommend Y40 Campaign, Wyrmrest Community Project, Protectorate, and several other interguild things going on!

2 Likes

Uh, no? I just said, “Forum posters - RPers who have been around this server for years - offered lots of good options for finding RP on this server.”

I literally just said this. Why did you edit that part out?

1. You literally didn’t just do what you said you’d continue to do :stuck_out_tongue:
  2. You’re already clogging the thread up, but mostly in a good way.
  3. I requested it generally because forums are meant to be linear and we don’t want to go up 10 posts to look for a reply, or read every prior post you’ve done to look for a reply. It’s not that I won’t do it - I will. I have some time tonight. It’s that it’s not very considerate if that’s what you’re going to make me and others do.

My brother in RP, if you think Thomas Bates is aggressive or frankly unwelcoming, I have news for you…

As far as “every single person?” Only a Sith deals in absolutes. I would say that we, the forum posters in general, are usually more than willing to help someone who asks where the RP is at.

“Forum posters - RPers who have been around this server for years - offered lots of good options for finding RP on this server.”

I generally start looking at different things for this. Do achievements match? Do the grammatical structure and spelling match? What’s the timing look like - did one alt stop posting and another alt start? What’s the “like” history look like? Did one alt “like” a lot of posts made by the other alt? Is one or more alt info hidden? Are there little comments in the posts that seem to be questionable? I used to catch people I gkicked slipping back into my guild this way. I’ve found stalkers’ accounts twice this way as well.

I get that. But it does make accounts look sus when it’s done.

1 Like

God, I don’t have it in me to read a multi-reply post, anymore.

I feel posts should have maybe…three paragraphs.

1 Like

I will remember this for the future.