When to make the switch to outlaw for m+?

Yes, I get that it’s the nature of the spec in some ways. But I was trying to illustrate that with the neck essences and gear upgrades, other classes seem to be scaling better and doing more single target damage. Mine? Still crap. The utility and the AoE were all I had to offer the group. Now, we don’t offer that AoE. My AoE numbers were not so off the charts that they were 15% higher than warriors, DHs, hunters, DKs, some mages, etc. that I’ve been grouping with. If they’re now going to be 15% lower, does that really offset all the utility? Is that the rule for class design? You get X pieces of utility and deal Y damage, and classes with one more piece of utility than another DPS class must deal a certain percent less damage to compensate?

I am now only useful for my utility, and that’s not exclusive to the outlaw spec. Most, I imagine, will trade having gouge for being able to do really good ST and really solid AoE as assassination.

As you said, you’re either a single target spec, a cleave spec, or an AoE spec. What exactly am I now?

On a key like Motherload this week outlaw does about 50-55k dps, others they ussually pull at least 45k on the minimum. It doesn’t help that there is a new one handed agi weapon that gives you 5% more dmg for free (which you can equip in both hands). Just look at the current MDI comps. Its all triple Outlaw now. Not even worth taking a monk anymore for the buff because They just do too much dmg.

Granted, I have not done a ML key this week, but those numbers would be very surprising to me. I’ve done a couple of WM 16s this week, (another trash heavy dungeon for comparison) and pulled about 42k to the other DPS’s 40-41. My personal record for any dungeon is 44k this season. I’ve never seen 50+, from myself, or anyone else this season. And my IO score is pretty respectable. I’ve done a solid number of runs this season with many strangers, and I’m just not seeing these numbers.

As I’ve said, perhaps I’m just a bad rogue. If that were the case, I’d have to assume my parses wouldn’t be high 90s on these keys, people would be complaining about the DPS I pull, and I wouldn’t keep having people add me to their friends list for future runs. Because all of those things are happening, I have to assume I’m at least doing an acceptable job roguing. And I’ve never cracked 50k. Or 45k.

I believe the rogue stacking has more to do with outlaw’s utility. We simply have more of it than other rogue specs, and other classes, while doing similar AoE damage. I don’t think our AoE output is or was that much in excess of what other classes were capable of pulling, but when combined with our sick utility, it makes no sense to bring anything but three rogues.

A MUCH better way to address this would be to add utility to other classes that rivals our own, and to incentivise groups to take something that isn’t outlaw rogues.

A 15% damage reduction, in my opinion, is too high to offset our utility, which to my knowledge, we have only one additional piece of over assassination (gouge). I think most rogues will just go assassination. And I think most groups will just replace their outlaws with assassination rogues. That’s lame. It doesn’t solve the problem and it leaves rogue with one viable spec out of three.

And raid performance. There are already scant few fights where outlaw can compete with or beat assassination (those with more than one target). Now imagine we’re doing 15% less damage there too. Which we are. Because that was a necessary fix to the M+ problem.

1 Like

Nope because one I can’t get Diver’s Folly to drop, two my azerite setup is a total meme because I’ve already gotten screwed on both of my 445 attempts, and three I’m stuck with mechagon trinket because the alternatives that I have right now aren’t really that great in M+. I have no dice / plumage / spyglass and only one ace trait.

My schedule is extremely sporadic and I can’t really commit to a mythic guild so 445 Divers is out of the question until pugs start getting enough gear to push through the first few bosses on mythic.

Don’t feel bad man. I’ve got a diver’s folly, and I’ve pulled 44k overall once. Just one time. It’s my freakin’ record for an overall in WM. It’s certainly not something I do regularly, or very often, or in any dungeons except like, WM, FH, and ML.

yeah, its annoying how rng the current system in wow is.

I think 90% in dmg is so much different from a 99%or100%. Theres just different little things you can do that all add up and you will do more dmg from it. It’s not that your dmg is looking bad compared to other classes. Its about people playing in the top 0.1% who are doing more dmg than the other classes. Ofc when it comes to doing keys at around 14-17 you will see alot of people doing similar damage because at the skill level you wont really see a difference in dmg.

If you look at some streamers or something and see what you can do to replicate what they are doing you will probably be able to add an extra 3-4k dps without much effort. You might be missing some small thing of the class that will help you in a big way.

Care to recommend an outlaw streamer to start out with? I don’t watch any streams, but I’ll check one out of there’s potentially something I can learn from it.

I sometimes watch Thalamir becuase he streams pretty regularily. But any of the top outlaw rogues would be fine.

1 Like

Don’t say such extreme hyperbolic things like that.

You know how much the forums are dominated by the Doom-Gloomers. They’ll eat that right up

I am personally unsure if assassination will be the next meta class for keys, I am getting together a assassination set just in case. But I would mind having it regardless for raid profession anyways

for real… DH and fury war with similar gear do the same AoE but blow me out the water on boss fights esp with lust. Now DH will do same if not more aoe and do more ST. Makes no god damn sense

1 Like

Well the hotfix is live now. Hitting the 4 target dummies fully buffed in Dazaralor I lost about 10k dps compared to yesterday. Great game. Feels good playing a pure dps class with only one viable spec.

blame wow esports for nerfs.

1 Like

Balancing the game around the MDI is awesome. They should balance little league and high school sports based on how professional athletes perform. This is a good approach.

Sorry. Was trying to edit and deleted that post. Was saying that was my experience to, at least from the SIM. Ran one just now and lost about 9k from the one I ran last night in the same gear. Interesting that 2x wits still SIMs higher for me on multi-target than anything else, despite two nerfs. Would’ve thought dancing steel wouldn’t still be the go to, but that also SIMs higher still for multi-target.

I am so lost on what to play now. My gear is leaning towards assassination, but i do enjoy outlaw as well. I can get into 9’s no problem, but i have been having a really hard time getting into 10’s. This is my first week playing this season, and i have been doing okay dps, about 30k on bosses and 35k trash. For some reason getting the right gear is an extreme pain, i guess the best thing to do would be to run as many high keys as i can, pray to RNGesus, and aim to have a trash set, and a boss set of azerite?

but demon hunters have the by pass boss damage mechanic talent.

sin azerite gear for m+ is annoying to get since its all behind the vendor for the most part.

1 Like

I barely out dps a 429 DH on a Tol Dagor 13… I’m 438 with 440 weapons and good azerite traits. The only pulls I could do decent aoe were the ones with either iris or adren rush. I lost anywhere from 10-20k on aoe pulls…