When Does Destro Stop Being Fun?

Personally it’s stops being fun once your infernal stops, and you go back to 3 button rotation… until the 2 min is back…

6 Likes

That big green rock guy? I do enjoy him.

Currently level 80.

Still having a blast.

I’ve topped basically every dungeon run so far… except a Demo lock topped me one run… i don’t mind the rotation honestly. Sure it’s strictly charge up shards asap for Chaos Bolt and who cares about any other spell… but timing everything properly to decrease any downtime and making sure CB cast is as fast as possible is cool.

enjoy the AoE options also.

Man… what’s to hate? You guys are spoiled.

…to be continued.

2 Likes

I would say when you’re done with your raid progression. It doesn’t really stop being fun, but it’s definitely not nice not being able to do some things which others so easily can. When I put up my own key for a pug, I always write a disclosure in the notes that I’m a destro lock. Almost feels like an apology :joy:

When is it most fun? Put two targets in front of me & my eyes light up. Or when people complain of leaden foot/split personality & you just shrug with your burning rush & portals. Or when you try to play another cloth spec & appreciate what people say when they mention the tankiness of locks. Let others dot-&-kite, it’s below my dignity. I’m just gonna stand here till you die.

I think of locks to be the wise old men of WoW. We may not be very good at the new stuff, but we’re damn good at what we’re made for. Gonna be shooting chaos bolts in shadowlands too, without a doubt.

5 Likes

Well, the spec was about 10x more fun to play back in MoP or WoD, and the current version is a massive downgrade. If you’ve never played those versions of Destro I’m sure it seems fine though.

3 Likes

i think i just realized ive been using Havoc incorrectly…

i thought if i marked an enemy… i did 60% additional damage to it on top of whatever i was pumping into it…

not that i apply it to someone and then attack someone else.

my god… im a bot.

Also @Kaal , i dont get how people wouldnt be fine with us in M+, the damage output is there, it’s fine, why the problem? I guess I’ll find out.

There definitely are issues. In low level dungeons you’ll top the meters on bosses but trash will be dead before you can pop your first chaos bolt. Or, God forbid, the specific trash you had targeted dies and you have to start the cast again :slight_smile: in higher keys we do well. On bosses we do extremely well. But you need a specific comp around you with enough aoe & interrupts for you not to need it. We don’t have powerful insta-casts so it’s an issue when multiple priority adds need to go down quickly. These are things which are expected from the only ranged in the group.

There are issues, but as you grow with the spec you figure out ways to make it work. Lots of destro locks running high keys.

1 Like

The problem is the gotta go fast mentality. Warlocks just can’t go fast. Groups like to run through the dungeon aoeing while on the move. Warlocks can’t really do that until the train stops, while other classes, especially melee, can just run along side cleaving it all down. On top of that, Destro doesn’t have great aoe. They have decent aoe, but not great. Also warlocks can’t dps while dodging things, and on higher keys dodging is a necessity. Melee can just sidestep it while still going full ham.

Warlocks also don’t really have an interrupt without the felpuppy, which won’t always be used. Demonic Gateway does nothing Shroud can’t do. We don’t really have a way to deal with Explosive (can only conflag so many times), etc.

It’s not that Warlocks can’t do M+ (though Demo is better than Destro at it), it’s more… why would you bring a warlock along when a melee with 20ilvl less (may be exaggerating a little… only a little though) can do everything you a lot better and with a lot less effort. Warlocks are just incredibly outclassed.

4 Likes

i appreciate the reply.

i really do wish i enjoyed and could play melee… im just a ranged guy unfortunately… so have to live with that style and lack of great movement while attacking.

I get what youre saying though, that makes a ton of sense and nothing you can really do better at, as a player, other than just accepting the current fate.

well damn…

Yeah, I’m a career caster myself, with a little bit in tanking. Never could enjoy melee, and am not a great healer (I’m one of those reactive types, not proactive) and sketchy at best with hunter. And of all the casters, Warlock is my fave and has been for a long, long time.

Needless to say the expansion has been rough on me. I’m actually envious of your inexperience letting you enjoy it so much :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

It also doesn’t help that blizzard pushes the e-sport culture, like turning everything into a race agaist the clock, while keeping the design philosophy of giving even the stupidiest of things in the class a hard-cast.

That’s a problem with many ranged classes in current wow. Few can keep dodging mechanics while going full zug zug like any melee class out there, because if you do it’s your dps going down.

5 Likes

Just a suggestion. In explosive weeks I run shadowburn talent. Insta-cast with full refund if the target dies so basically you have an extra button to use on explosives.

1 Like

100% the problem with locks is high ramp up for not destro, and then terrible aoe for destro and aff, as well as low soloability now

Okay… it’s day # so and so…

And Destro is starting to fall off a bit for me, those damn Beast Masters and co are stealing my thunder… and when Chaos Bolt no longer pumps you with big numbers to overtake the other DPS… you start to wonder… what am i even doing here? Rain of Fire tickles AoE as well.

Summon Infernal is definitely my favorite spell at the moment, love him hanging out beating the shi- out of things and regenning shards.

Love the lore, look, and what the Warlock is all about still… tank pets, dps pets, healthstones, etc…

It’s a good class. Simple rotation, but not as simple as a BM hunter hehe… I have a ton of fun playing mine. For the aoe I use purification protocol only when doing visions because you can pull a lot of mobs at once and that annihilates some of them instantly. I love it and it’s my main along with my BM hunter. Haven’t raided this expansion because of my schedule at work, but none the less I have fun.

As destruction you just have to accept that your best aoe/cleave will be on par with that of other dps 5-10 ilvls lower than you. If we’re talking similar or higher ilvl and especially melee, be prepared for a major let down.

Nevertheless if you’re using havoc to its full potential and not wasting shards on RoF, you will perform well enough.

It’s less the feel and more the dependency on the infernal that ruins destro for me.

A 3 minute DPS cooldown that is 30-50% of your damage output is not good design.

Just run >40 corruption, immolate the Thing from Beyond, Havoc coil it and get flashpoint / RH stacks!

My old man reflexes don’t allow for big brain plays like this.

1 Like

Ever try mouseover macros? Just hover your mouse and click!

I’ll set some up if I ever try destro in real content again. I don’t think I’ve used it in anything higher than a +16 and I’ve tapped out of raiding for the expansion.

My Things also love to spawn in as a group like they’re the three stooges coming to ruin my day. They got no respect for the single file line.

1 Like